Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GGR AX #7 at Alameda results are up, check out the 914s
DanT
post Sep 11 2006, 09:41 PM
Post #1

Going back to the Dark Side!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

here you go

http://www.pca-ggr.org/acresults/090906.html

looks good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Sep 11 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #2

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I can live with that.

KT
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 11 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 11 2006, 09:35 PM) *

I can live with that.

KT

Me too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 11 2006, 10:43 PM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 11 2006, 08:41 PM) *

My 56 + 2 ended up being a 69 on my last run. The end to a perfect day.

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 11 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #5

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Man! Trekor and Dan, we didn't even break into top 15 with our 914's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Rich Walton in his AX12 class 914 did grab a 58, but still didnt get into top 10. Interesting to note high percent of DNF's and cone strikes. Apparently I wasn't only one having a tough time with the course.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Sep 11 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #6

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Rich is a fantastic driver, no doubt. To my knowledge he drove that car for the first time the day before at TH and then a/x'd it for the first time on Saturday (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

I'm already looking forward to the next one.

KT
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Sep 12 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #7

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 11 2006, 09:43 PM) *

Damn....we learned another thing....check the times before leaving....

I wonder how the scorekeepers missed that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) You were the only driver other than Andrew to get below 57 raw....

The new tires show up tomorrow...I'm kinda sad they'll get all chewed up at Candlestick....Fritz doesn't like that place.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 12 2006, 09:15 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 12 2006, 12:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 11 2006, 09:43 PM) *

Damn....we learned another thing....check the times before leaving....

I wonder how the scorekeepers missed that? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) You were the only driver other than Andrew to get below 57 raw....

The new tires show up tomorrow...I'm kinda sad they'll get all chewed up at Candlestick....Fritz doesn't like that place.

Bill P.

The scorekeepers didn't acknowledge my re-runs. They said my last run was my 9th. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Guess stopping and pointing out cones and then checking the with score writer (at the trailer, i.e. Rich Walton) isn't good enough anymore.

But the real isssue is that after stopping on the course, there is no way I'm going to wait for a course worker to acknowledge that a cone is down. It's just way too dangerous, after all you never know Dan Thompson might be behind you and you only have a few seconds to get out of there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif)

As far as Fritz and Candlestick I also think we should wait till Alameda to run the new tires. Depending on the Candlestick course we would have to slow down anyway for the Candlestick Cascades (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif) so waiting for the next event is OK by me.

+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 12 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #9

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Where I come from, we only let an occasional "other than 914" into the top tier.
Youz boys are gonna have to get with the program (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

1m M1 04 Tom Kotzian 914/6 34.732 0.000 0.000
2 NP? 316 John McCuskey 1972 Datsun 240Z 35.085 0.353 0.353
3m M1 4X Britain Smith 1974 914-6 35.912 0.827 1.180
4m M1 70 Chuck West 1970 911 36.060 0.148 1.328
5m M1 4 JP Stein 1974 914-6 36.295 0.235 1.563
6m M1 99 Gary Chapman 1970 914-6 37.085 0.790 2.353
7m M1 914 Trevor Turner-Rice 1974 914-6 37.086 0.001 2.354
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Sep 12 2006, 10:26 AM
Post #10

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 11 2006, 09:53 PM) *

Man! Trekor and Dan, we didn't even break into top 15 with our 914's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) Rich Walton in his AX12 class 914 did grab a 58, but still didnt get into top 10. Interesting to note high percent of DNF's and cone strikes. Apparently I wasn't only one having a tough time with the course.

Grant,

I wouldn't be too down on yourselves. I thought you guys did great! You gotta look at what you're up against. You guys seem to run in top 10 and sometimes top 5 when you play at Marina or the Redwood Region. As JP is fond of saying...that's a small pond. Usually less than 50 drivers. Now you come out to a bigger region's event and there are 100+ cars out there. Bigger pond.

I think the biggest issue both you and Trekkor will face getting to the top is that your cars are still "street legal". I can't see how you can possibly put it at the top of an AX if some of the zoomies come out. There are some cars at the top of the leader board that are anything but street legal.

Let's take the excellent drivers of most of these cars out of the equation. Just pure power to weight. I'll take a swag at your cars and the HP. It's just a swag:

Grant 2000lbs car / 160HP = 12.5 to 1 pounds per hp
Trekkor 2000lbs car / 150HP = 13.3 to 1 pounds per hp
Dan T. 2000lbs car /90HP = 22.2 to 1 pounds per hp
Andrew 1700lbs car / 100HP = 17 to 1 pounds per hp
Randal/Bill 2300lbs car / 300HP = 7.6 to 1 pounds per hp

You guys are running at a huge disadvantage to our 911 in power to weight. And while the power to weight on Andrew's car is higher than yours, the weight itself is much lower, and slicks help alot.

So I'd say you guys did great. The course this weekend did have some turns, but it was fast. Both Randal and I were well into 3rd gear on the back straight with the kink. I would guess close to 80mph. My old 914-6 with a cage in it was around 8.3 to 1 in pounds per hp (2000/240HP and slicks).

Going back to the big pond theory, I remember at a zone event a few years ago and a bunch of us were eating lunch together. Steve Nieslony, who normally runs at or near the top of any event he enters said he went to a SCCA event one year where some of their best showed up. Lots of drivers with fast cars. He said that particular year, the handed his ass to him. I think his exact words were "they kicked my ass!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Also, you're still sorting your car, so it takes time to dial it in. And everytime I read about your car, it's in the shop and your not driving, so that makes it tough too.

Just get that thing together and drive it!

Bill P.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Sep 12 2006, 11:34 AM
Post #11

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 12 2006, 09:26 AM) *

Grant,

I wouldn't be too down on yourselves. I thought you guys did great! You gotta look at what you're up against. You guys seem to run in top 10 and sometimes top 5 when you play at Marina or the Redwood Region. As JP is fond of saying...that's a small pond. Usually less than 50 drivers. Now you come out to a bigger region's event and there are 100+ cars out there. Bigger pond.

I think the biggest issue both you and Trekkor will face getting to the top is that your cars are still "street legal". I can't see how you can possibly put it at the top of an AX if some of the zoomies come out. There are some cars at the top of the leader board that are anything but street legal.

Let's take the excellent drivers of most of these cars out of the equation. Just pure power to weight. I'll take a swag at your cars and the HP. It's just a swag:

Grant 2000lbs car / 160HP = 12.5 to 1 pounds per hp
Trekkor 2000lbs car / 150HP = 13.3 to 1 pounds per hp
Dan T. 2000lbs car /90HP = 22.2 to 1 pounds per hp
Andrew 17000lbs car / 100HP = 17 to 1 pounds per hp
Randal/Bill 2300lbs car / 300HP = 7.6 to 1 pounds per hp

You guys are running at a huge disadvantage to our 911 in power to weight. And while the power to weight on Andrew's car is higher than yours, the weight itself is much lower, and slicks help alot.

So I'd say you guys did great. The course this weekend did have some turns, but it was fast. Both Randal and I were well into 3rd gear on the back straight with the kink. I would guess close to 80mph. My old 914-6 with a cage in it was around 8.3 to 1 in pounds per hp (2000/240HP and slicks).

Going back to the big pond theory, I remember at a zone event a few years ago and a bunch of us were eating lunch together. Steve Nieslony, who normally runs at or near the top of any event he enters said he went to a SCCA event one year where some of their best showed up. Lots of drivers with fast cars. He said that particular year, the handed his ass to him. I think his exact words were "they kicked my ass!" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Also, you're still sorting your car, so it takes time to dial it in. And everytime I read about your car, it's in the shop and your not driving, so that makes it tough too.

Just get that thing together and drive it!

Bill P.

Thanks Bill, Over the winter I will be turning my car into more dedicated track and AX car. I'm shopping for wheels to mount real race slicks, looking at possible motor upgrade and I'm going to start tearing more weight out of the car. I just want a car that can have a chance of going after TTOD next year. Of course I'd have to find somone capable of driving it that fast! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 12 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #12

Irrelevant old fart

Of course I'd have to find somone capable of driving it that fast! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Ah....yes. I am way too familar with that problem.
I've been hacking away to that end for a few years....progress is slow but it is happening. I may not live long enuff to close the gap. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Sep 12 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #13

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

wow -- i always thought you were a pretty damn smooth driver, grant! -- it just seems like you don't get enough seat-time to really get 'in the groove' with your driving. about 2-300 less lbs, some really good rubber (non-dot), and seat-time should be all you need to vie for TTOD, me thinks.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 12 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #14

Quote by Randal,

"It's just way too dangerous, after all you never know Dan Thompson might be behind you and you only have a few seconds to get out of there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif) "

I am not really sure how to take that Randal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 12 2006, 04:48 PM
Post #15

I know how I am going to help this situation.

I have refrained in most cases of instructing at GGR autocrosses for the last few years. I do it only if there is a real crunch of newbies. I have saved all my instructing for the AX schools and TT series.
Rich rode around with Birgit and so he got at least twice as many looks at the course at speed than I did.

If I had had another few views of the course I think I could have easily gotten into the 58s. Since I didn't get comfortable with the course until about run #6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
Next event I am back to instructing at GGR events just so I can get more looks at the course.
Another advantage I have been leaving on the table.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 12 2006, 04:50 PM
Post #16

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 12 2006, 03:40 PM) *

Quote by Randal,

"It's just way too dangerous, after all you never know Dan Thompson might be behind you and you only have a few seconds to get out of there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pinch.gif) "

I am not really sure how to take that Randal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Opps, was that the wrong "emotion?" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 12 2006, 05:00 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 12 2006, 03:48 PM) *

I know how I am going to help this situation.

I have refrained in most cases of instructing at GGR autocrosses for the last few years. I do it only if there is a real crunch of newbies. I have saved all my instructing for the AX schools and TT series.
Rich rode around with Birgit and so he got at least twice as many looks at the course at speed than I did.

If I had had another few views of the course I think I could have easily gotten into the 58s. Since I didn't get comfortable with the course until about run #6 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Next event I am back to instructing at GGR events just so I can get more looks at the course.
Another advantage I have been leaving on the table.

Please delete this post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Signed:

Secret Society of AutoX Instructors
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 12 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #18

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 12 2006, 04:00 PM) *

Please delete this post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Signed:

Secret Society of AutoX Instructors

Sorry Randal, didn't realize I had broken one of our tennants (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) of the SSAxI. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 12 2006, 06:19 PM
Post #19

Irrelevant old fart

Hay, the instructor thing is no big secret, it's an advantage sometimes.
Our instructors at SCCA are not allowed to compete in class competition.
They all run PAX classes.
No ride alongs by any competitor who has not completed his own runs.

We have one guy at PCA who thinks he is cutting a fat hog by instructing
prior to his runs.....then complains about dual drivers....I just give him my best shit eattin' grin.

Anyone good should be able to nail down a course in 3 runs (note: that does not include me, my 4th is usually my best). With 5 or 6 runs, any instructors advantage
disappears (I'm usually over driving by then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). If you need to be quick outta the box.... the first 3 runs count at SCCA..... it's a huge advantage.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Sep 12 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #20

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Rich is a fantastic driver, no doubt. To my knowledge he drove that car for the first time the day before at TH and then a/x'd it for the first time on Saturday

Thanks for the info Trek!

*Hopefully* Rich replaced the rear sway bar bushings before he took it to Thill. I told Birgit she broke them at the last AutoX she ran down here. I reminded her again after I dropped it off at her parents house a few weeks back. I also told her that the right front Koni was dead and needed to be recharged.

So.. if he pulled all that off (58) in a "limping" car.. he was pulling off some seriously good driving.

Glad to hear she got to run Thill also (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

B
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:56 AM