KT
DanT
QUOTE(trekkor @ Sep 11 2006, 09:35 PM) *

I can live with that.

KT

Me too biggrin.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 11 2006, 08:41 PM) *

My 56 + 2 ended up being a 69 on my last run. The end to a perfect day.

grantsfo
Man! Trekor and Dan, we didn't even break into top 15 with our 914's. sad.gif Rich Walton in his AX12 class 914 did grab a 58, but still didnt get into top 10. Interesting to note high percent of DNF's and cone strikes. Apparently I wasn't only one having a tough time with the course.
Trekkor
Rich is a fantastic driver, no doubt. To my knowledge he drove that car for the first time the day before at TH and then a/x'd it for the first time on Saturday ohmy.gif

I'm already looking forward to the next one.

KT
nine14cats
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 11 2006, 09:43 PM) *

Damn....we learned another thing....check the times before leaving....

I wonder how the scorekeepers missed that? confused24.gif You were the only driver other than Andrew to get below 57 raw....

The new tires show up tomorrow...I'm kinda sad they'll get all chewed up at Candlestick....Fritz doesn't like that place.

Bill P.
Randal
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 12 2006, 12:57 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 11 2006, 09:43 PM) *

Damn....we learned another thing....check the times before leaving....

I wonder how the scorekeepers missed that? confused24.gif You were the only driver other than Andrew to get below 57 raw....

The new tires show up tomorrow...I'm kinda sad they'll get all chewed up at Candlestick....Fritz doesn't like that place.

Bill P.

The scorekeepers didn't acknowledge my re-runs. They said my last run was my 9th. blink.gif

Guess stopping and pointing out cones and then checking the with score writer (at the trailer, i.e. Rich Walton) isn't good enough anymore.

But the real isssue is that after stopping on the course, there is no way I'm going to wait for a course worker to acknowledge that a cone is down. It's just way too dangerous, after all you never know Dan Thompson might be behind you and you only have a few seconds to get out of there. pinch.gif

As far as Fritz and Candlestick I also think we should wait till Alameda to run the new tires. Depending on the Candlestick course we would have to slow down anyway for the Candlestick Cascades yikes.gif so waiting for the next event is OK by me.

J P Stein
Where I come from, we only let an occasional "other than 914" into the top tier.
Youz boys are gonna have to get with the program laugh.gif

1m M1 04 Tom Kotzian 914/6 34.732 0.000 0.000
2 NP? 316 John McCuskey 1972 Datsun 240Z 35.085 0.353 0.353
3m M1 4X Britain Smith 1974 914-6 35.912 0.827 1.180
4m M1 70 Chuck West 1970 911 36.060 0.148 1.328
5m M1 4 JP Stein 1974 914-6 36.295 0.235 1.563
6m M1 99 Gary Chapman 1970 914-6 37.085 0.790 2.353
7m M1 914 Trevor Turner-Rice 1974 914-6 37.086 0.001 2.354
nine14cats
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 11 2006, 09:53 PM) *

Man! Trekor and Dan, we didn't even break into top 15 with our 914's. sad.gif Rich Walton in his AX12 class 914 did grab a 58, but still didnt get into top 10. Interesting to note high percent of DNF's and cone strikes. Apparently I wasn't only one having a tough time with the course.

Grant,

I wouldn't be too down on yourselves. I thought you guys did great! You gotta look at what you're up against. You guys seem to run in top 10 and sometimes top 5 when you play at Marina or the Redwood Region. As JP is fond of saying...that's a small pond. Usually less than 50 drivers. Now you come out to a bigger region's event and there are 100+ cars out there. Bigger pond.

I think the biggest issue both you and Trekkor will face getting to the top is that your cars are still "street legal". I can't see how you can possibly put it at the top of an AX if some of the zoomies come out. There are some cars at the top of the leader board that are anything but street legal.

Let's take the excellent drivers of most of these cars out of the equation. Just pure power to weight. I'll take a swag at your cars and the HP. It's just a swag:

Grant 2000lbs car / 160HP = 12.5 to 1 pounds per hp
Trekkor 2000lbs car / 150HP = 13.3 to 1 pounds per hp
Dan T. 2000lbs car /90HP = 22.2 to 1 pounds per hp
Andrew 1700lbs car / 100HP = 17 to 1 pounds per hp
Randal/Bill 2300lbs car / 300HP = 7.6 to 1 pounds per hp

You guys are running at a huge disadvantage to our 911 in power to weight. And while the power to weight on Andrew's car is higher than yours, the weight itself is much lower, and slicks help alot.

So I'd say you guys did great. The course this weekend did have some turns, but it was fast. Both Randal and I were well into 3rd gear on the back straight with the kink. I would guess close to 80mph. My old 914-6 with a cage in it was around 8.3 to 1 in pounds per hp (2000/240HP and slicks).

Going back to the big pond theory, I remember at a zone event a few years ago and a bunch of us were eating lunch together. Steve Nieslony, who normally runs at or near the top of any event he enters said he went to a SCCA event one year where some of their best showed up. Lots of drivers with fast cars. He said that particular year, the handed his ass to him. I think his exact words were "they kicked my ass!" biggrin.gif

Also, you're still sorting your car, so it takes time to dial it in. And everytime I read about your car, it's in the shop and your not driving, so that makes it tough too.

Just get that thing together and drive it!

Bill P.
grantsfo
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 12 2006, 09:26 AM) *

Grant,

I wouldn't be too down on yourselves. I thought you guys did great! You gotta look at what you're up against. You guys seem to run in top 10 and sometimes top 5 when you play at Marina or the Redwood Region. As JP is fond of saying...that's a small pond. Usually less than 50 drivers. Now you come out to a bigger region's event and there are 100+ cars out there. Bigger pond.

I think the biggest issue both you and Trekkor will face getting to the top is that your cars are still "street legal". I can't see how you can possibly put it at the top of an AX if some of the zoomies come out. There are some cars at the top of the leader board that are anything but street legal.

Let's take the excellent drivers of most of these cars out of the equation. Just pure power to weight. I'll take a swag at your cars and the HP. It's just a swag:

Andrew 17000lbs car / 100HP = 17 to 1 pounds per hp

You guys are running at a huge disadvantage to our 911 in power to weight. And while the power to weight on Andrew's car is higher than yours, the weight itself is much lower, and slicks help alot.

So I'd say you guys did great. The course this weekend did have some turns, but it was fast. Both Randal and I were well into 3rd gear on the back straight with the kink. I would guess close to 80mph. My old 914-6 with a cage in it was around 8.3 to 1 in pounds per hp (2000/240HP and slicks).

Going back to the big pond theory, I remember at a zone event a few years ago and a bunch of us were eating lunch together. Steve Nieslony, who normally runs at or near the top of any event he enters said he went to a SCCA event one year where some of their best showed up. Lots of drivers with fast cars. He said that particular year, the handed his ass to him. I think his exact words were "they kicked my ass!" biggrin.gif

Also, you're still sorting your car, so it takes time to dial it in. And everytime I read about your car, it's in the shop and your not driving, so that makes it tough too.

Just get that thing together and drive it!

Bill P.

Thanks Bill, Over the winter I will be turning my car into more dedicated track and AX car. I'm shopping for wheels to mount real race slicks, looking at possible motor upgrade and I'm going to start tearing more weight out of the car. I just want a car that can have a chance of going after TTOD next year. Of course I'd have to find somone capable of driving it that fast! biggrin.gif
J P Stein

Of course I'd have to find somone capable of driving it that fast! biggrin.gif

Ah....yes. I am way too familar with that problem.
I've been hacking away to that end for a few years....progress is slow but it is happening. I may not live long enuff to close the gap. sad.gif
nebreitling
wow -- i always thought you were a pretty damn smooth driver, grant! -- it just seems like you don't get enough seat-time to really get 'in the groove' with your driving. about 2-300 less lbs, some really good rubber (non-dot), and seat-time should be all you need to vie for TTOD, me thinks.
DanT
Quote by Randal,

"It's just way too dangerous, after all you never know Dan Thompson might be behind you and you only have a few seconds to get out of there. pinch.gif "

I am not really sure how to take that Randal biggrin.gif
DanT

I know how I am going to help this situation.

I have refrained in most cases of instructing at GGR autocrosses for the last few years. I do it only if there is a real crunch of newbies. I have saved all my instructing for the AX schools and TT series.
Rich rode around with Birgit and so he got at least twice as many looks at the course at speed than I did.

If I had had another few views of the course I think I could have easily gotten into the 58s. Since I didn't get comfortable with the course until about run #6 sad.gif
Next event I am back to instructing at GGR events just so I can get more looks at the course.
Another advantage I have been leaving on the table.
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 12 2006, 03:40 PM) *

Quote by Randal,

"It's just way too dangerous, after all you never know Dan Thompson might be behind you and you only have a few seconds to get out of there. pinch.gif "

I am not really sure how to take that Randal biggrin.gif

Opps, was that the wrong "emotion?" blink.gif
Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Sep 12 2006, 03:48 PM) *

I know how I am going to help this situation.

I have refrained in most cases of instructing at GGR autocrosses for the last few years. I do it only if there is a real crunch of newbies. I have saved all my instructing for the AX schools and TT series.
Rich rode around with Birgit and so he got at least twice as many looks at the course at speed than I did.

If I had had another few views of the course I think I could have easily gotten into the 58s. Since I didn't get comfortable with the course until about run #6 sad.gif

Next event I am back to instructing at GGR events just so I can get more looks at the course.
Another advantage I have been leaving on the table.

Please delete this post happy11.gif

Signed:

Secret Society of AutoX Instructors
DanT
QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 12 2006, 04:00 PM) *

Please delete this post happy11.gif

Signed:

Sorry Randal, didn't realize I had broken one of our tennants chair.gif chair.gif of the SSAxI. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Hay, the instructor thing is no big secret, it's an advantage sometimes.
Our instructors at SCCA are not allowed to compete in class competition.
They all run PAX classes.
No ride alongs by any competitor who has not completed his own runs.

We have one guy at PCA who thinks he is cutting a fat hog by instructing
prior to his runs.....then complains about dual drivers....I just give him my best shit eattin' grin.

Anyone good should be able to nail down a course in 3 runs (note: that does not include me, my 4th is usually my best). With 5 or 6 runs, any instructors advantage
disappears (I'm usually over driving by then biggrin.gif ). If you need to be quick outta the box.... the first 3 runs count at SCCA..... it's a huge advantage.
Brad Roberts
Rich is a fantastic driver, no doubt. To my knowledge he drove that car for the first time the day before at TH and then a/x'd it for the first time on Saturday

Thanks for the info Trek!

*Hopefully* Rich replaced the rear sway bar bushings before he took it to Thill. I told Birgit she broke them at the last AutoX she ran down here. I reminded her again after I dropped it off at her parents house a few weeks back. I also told her that the right front Koni was dead and needed to be recharged.

So.. if he pulled all that off (58) in a "limping" car.. he was pulling off some seriously good driving.

Glad to hear she got to run Thill also smile.gif

B
Trekkor
He said he thought the car was down on power. unsure.gif

KT
Trekkor
Please delete this post

Signed:

Pretty funny, but true.

I gave the 10th place driver a ride late in the day and showed him the 914 line ( flat out with no lift on the power straight with the kink ).
I ran a 59.3 clean with a passenger ( him ).
So a high 57 was defineatly doable.

I should have run the 710's all day instead of only the last four runs headbang.gif

Then he beat us...

KT
grantsfo
Here's my secret. Show up late and dont walk the course. biggrin.gif

Rich was setting 58 times in the AM run session I think he had that course figured out in quick order without the help of instructional runs.
nebreitling
lol grant. if i don't have the course memorized after my 2nd run, then i've done something seriously wrong. show up early, and RUN (don't walk) the course at least three times!

another *big* advantage would be a camera to review the course between runs. of course, then you start sliding into "AX-dork" territory!
DanT
Just in case any of you missed the revised results. Birgit's car is now AX9 not AX12.
I doubt the car is down on power....didn't Brad just finish that motor rebuild confused24.gif biggrin.gif

Rich drives too many high powered 911s so I am sure a fresh 2.0L would feel a bit weak to him. Didn't seem to hurt his time.

I can only think how I could have done with a fresh motor. dry.gif
Trekkor
sliding into "AX-dork" territory

Hey! You wanna go easy on that?!? naughty.gif

I've done the camera thing many times...

KT
Chris Hamilton

Anyone who thinks our car is that light can feel free to help us push it onto the trailer after the race. biggrin.gif

I'd estimate somewhere more around 1800 to 1900 pounds.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Sep 13 2006, 07:47 PM) *

Anyone who thinks our car is that light can feel free to help us push it onto the trailer after the race. biggrin.gif

Hi Chris,

Okay...I'll give you 1800lbs...but since you guys haven't weighed it, I'm going to guess it's less than 1900lbs.

As a point of reference, my 914-6 with a 2.7liter 6 cylinder, windshield, drivers and passenger seat, full dash, engine lid, engine tin, cooling shroud, cooling fan, CF wing, aluminum wing uprights and full cage weighed 1911lbs with a gallon of gas in it (at least according to the scales at the race shop). The above weights were driverless weights in my estimation.

As most of the things I listed are not on your car, I'm going to have a hard time believing that all that adds up to 11lbs.... happy11.gif

Let's see....

6 cyl vs stripped down 4 cyl ~ 35lbs
windshield ~ 15lbs
wing & uprights ~8lbs
additional race seat ~16lbs
dash and gauges ~5lbs
full cage ~40lbs
Track fuel cell vs AX fuel cell ~5lbs

That gives me 114lbs according to my calc. sawzall-smiley.gif So if I take that away from my car that was weighed on scales...and call the rest even (914 to 914), I get your car to be ~ 1797lbs.

So I'll give you the 1800lbs call...but at 1900lbs I do believe I'll need to call "bullshit".... laugh.gif

Make sure you see all these emoticons....I'm happy for you guys! thumb3d.gif

I think what you guys are doing is great. It represents what a car club should all be about....fun with family and friends. And you guys have set the bar in AX. And I can't tell you how much fun Randal and I are having chasing you guys...

Don't count us out yet....but right now team smurfmobile is the top AX group in Zone 7...and deservedly so! smilie_pokal.gif

Bill P.
DanT
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Sep 13 2006, 07:47 PM) *

blink.gif dry.gif huh.gif

I have to agree with Bill on this one....
Chris Hamilton
Its possible that it could be lighter than we think, but all I know is it's still too heavy. sawzall-smiley.gif
nine14cats
QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Sep 13 2006, 08:57 PM) *

Its possible that it could be lighter than we think, but all I know is it's still too heavy. sawzall-smiley.gif

Hi Chris,

At Marina when I helped you push it up on the trailer it was heavier than I expected (still light though, try pushing Fritz! laugh.gif)

Have you guys though of adding a few light gauge bars to the tub and cutting off the windshied and targa bar? I would think you could get another 50lbs if you did that, adding back in 10 or 15lbs of tubing for a net gain of 35 or 40lbs.

And of course there is the ol' hole saw and just start swiss cheesing everthing that you can possibly lose.... sawzall-smiley.gif

Bill P.
grantsfo
I'll push Smurf on to the trailer if you push Papa Smurf onto my trailer. Better bring along some help! biggrin.gif
DanT
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Sep 13 2006, 09:07 PM) *

I'll push Smurf on to the trailer if you push Papa Smurf onto my trailer. Better bring along some help! biggrin.gif

av-943.gif
Brad Roberts
Actually.. SHE built the engine. I just watched and barked out torque specs. The car needs a header BADLY. It's running through SSI's and a Bursch.

Funny that you referenced his 911 power. I told her the same thing on the phone today..LOL

I do think it has a pressure sensor issue. It doesnt show up after the car is REALLY hot, only when it is semi warm. We never had a chance to dyno it down here before I took it back up north for her.

I'm betting the blue car is 1750lb. It rolls like shit because of the locker diff or the alignment. Most cars on slicks are a bitch to push.

B
DanT
agree.gif Your right Brad, between the big slicks, the competition alignment and the locker.....the car does not exactly roll easily,,,me thinks. dry.gif

There is no way the smurfmobile weighs anywhere near 1900#s alfred.gif
Brad Roberts
The tube frame 6cyl car ScottY has weighs 1900 or so and is a MF'er to push with 12inch wide Goodyears and 80% locked Guard LSD. The front track is wider than the rear.. this makes for fun trying to turn it more than 30deg..LOL

I miss being up north and running with you guy's!!

B
Chris Hamilton
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 14 2006, 06:47 PM) *

I'm betting the blue car is 1750lb. It rolls like shit because of the locker diff or the alignment. Most cars on slicks are a bitch to push.

Locker diff? Has someone put one in our car when we weren't looking?

We're running an open differential right now, but we're looking for a clutch-type limited slip.

Would actually have helped at a few events so far, running the one-legger isn't quite ideal.
Randal
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Sep 14 2006, 06:47 PM) *

Actually.. SHE built the engine. I just watched and barked out torque specs. The car needs a header BADLY. It's running through SSI's and a Bursch.

Funny that you referenced his 911 power. I told her the same thing on the phone today..LOL

I do think it has a pressure sensor issue. It doesnt show up after the car is REALLY hot, only when it is semi warm. We never had a chance to dyno it down here before I took it back up north for her.

B

Based upon what he has and what I have removed my guess is less than 1750.
Brad Roberts
I havent been to a NORCAL AutoX in close to 2 years now.. soo I said Locker OR Alignment!!

I recall hearing it "drag" a tire during a "push" session several years back. I *assumed* it had a locker in it of some sort.

I just threw away 4 welded 901/914 diffs.

B
Brad Roberts
Anyone here have *any* idea what Bill Newlin had his "914" down too?

B
DanT
Brad, I know it was so flexible you could see it flex as it would go down the straights as speed when I was in the same run group as Bill or Rebecca.

He had to change his roll cage when he wanted to go wheel to wheel because the tube size was too small (too light)

My guess is somewhere below 1600#s. He even had molds to make his own body work....very THIN fiberglass. biggrin.gif
Brad Roberts
I knew he had the mould for the front end! A couple of other people in NorCal were running his nose WAY back in the day.

B
Steve_7x
I remember when Bill Newlin was building his 1st version of the car. Dad built his 1st engine at the time. The car was very light but I do not recall how much it weighed. Bill is still around living out on the San Mateo coast for anyone wanting to pursue getting info.

As for determing if smurf car is light or heavy by 'pushing' the car I agree with Brad's comment. Annectodal evidence - I recently pushed my stock (okay it was Bi class) 914, shod with 195/60's, and I put the same push into it like I do in my 'lightweight' 914 and the car almost ran away from me!
AndrewBlyholder
I'll be happy to take the time to settle the weight argument if someone will volunteer the use of their scales smile.gif I'd love to know exactly what the beast weights too. There must be someone in the area that has a set.

Andrew
SirAndy
QUOTE(AndrewBlyholder @ Sep 15 2006, 08:34 PM) *

I'll be happy to take the time to settle the weight argument if someone will volunteer the use of their scales smile.gif I'd love to know exactly what the beast weights too. There must be someone in the area that has a set.

McMark has a set that we used to cornerbalance my car ...
smile.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.