Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Steering is "sticky"
bugsy0
post Sep 11 2006, 11:00 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,508
Region Association: None

Hello All,
My '71 steering is "sticky". I mean, driving say 20mph and put the car
in a gentle turn (left or right) and it never returns to straight. The car seems aligned - no tire wear and doesn't "pull". The suspension and steering don't otherwise feel worn. I don't know how 914 steering _should_ feel though it doesn't seem right.

What do you all think?java script:emoticon(':confused:', 'smid_26')
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Sep 11 2006, 11:03 PM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 447
Region Association: Southwest Region

Check your tire pressures first of all. I like 29/31 front/rear for my car. You could have binding from worn components or not enough positive caster in your alignment.
+Quote Post
bugsy0
post Sep 11 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #3

Hmm. Tire pressure is at 40 (to be sure it wasn't just low tires). I guess this is a situation requiring me to take it to the shop - alignment, caster, etc. I'd like to get the suspension dialed (tires, springs, shocks) before thinking about any modifications to the stock engine and tail shifter. This car is about executing fast turns, after all. Sound like a good plan?
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Sep 11 2006, 11:22 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

I'd lower your pressures a bunch and take it for a test drive.
+Quote Post
bugsy0
post Sep 11 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #5

yeah but before I forced 40 lbs. of air in the tires, I measured them. They were somewhere around 30 lbs. I think. Anyway, the car still behaved funny. I guess it could be caster or worn bushings, etc. as you said. I'm reasonably well inclined to work on the car myself, but I don't own a spring compressor and other tools (least an alignment jig or whatever they use). Sounds like this could get expen$ive.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post Sep 11 2006, 11:40 PM
Post #6

914 Guru

Well for starters I would look over the tie rod bushings (inner and outer) if they look bad, they probably are. Next check your wheel bearings in the front. With the car on the ground, "hug" your tire and force your body evenly but forcefully back and forth - if you feel a clunk, your wheel bearings need adjustment. Go over the basics first before you go for an alignment. Alignment runsa round 150 to 250 depending on the amount of shims needed in the rear and how much work they need to do to get everthing lined up. You wouldn't want to do an alingment and then find out later you have worn components.
+Quote Post
bugsy0
post Sep 11 2006, 11:53 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Sep 11 2006, 11:40 PM) *

Well for starters I would look over the tie rod bushings (inner and outer) if they look bad, they probably are. Next check your wheel bearings in the front. With the car on the ground, "hug" your tire and force your body evenly but forcefully back and forth - if you feel a clunk, your wheel bearings need adjustment. Go over the basics first before you go for an alignment. Alignment runsa round 150 to 250 depending on the amount of shims needed in the rear and how much work they need to do to get everthing lined up. You wouldn't want to do an alingment and then find out later you have worn components.

Thanks - that's very helpful! Hopefully I can find worn steering components.
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 12 2006, 05:49 AM
Post #8

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

You might want to look at the U-joints coming from the Steering wheel to column to the rack.
I have a buggered up one that makes a somewhat snug spot in the steering. I just have gotten used to it. throws the co drivers off however.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 13th May 2024 - 11:53 PM