Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Steering is "sticky"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bugsy0
Hello All,
My '71 steering is "sticky". I mean, driving say 20mph and put the car
in a gentle turn (left or right) and it never returns to straight. The car seems aligned - no tire wear and doesn't "pull". The suspension and steering don't otherwise feel worn. I don't know how 914 steering _should_ feel though it doesn't seem right.

What do you all think?java script:emoticon(':confused:', 'smid_26')
TravisNeff
Check your tire pressures first of all. I like 29/31 front/rear for my car. You could have binding from worn components or not enough positive caster in your alignment.
bugsy0
Hmm. Tire pressure is at 40 (to be sure it wasn't just low tires). I guess this is a situation requiring me to take it to the shop - alignment, caster, etc. I'd like to get the suspension dialed (tires, springs, shocks) before thinking about any modifications to the stock engine and tail shifter. This car is about executing fast turns, after all. Sound like a good plan?
TravisNeff
I'd lower your pressures a bunch and take it for a test drive.
bugsy0
yeah but before I forced 40 lbs. of air in the tires, I measured them. They were somewhere around 30 lbs. I think. Anyway, the car still behaved funny. I guess it could be caster or worn bushings, etc. as you said. I'm reasonably well inclined to work on the car myself, but I don't own a spring compressor and other tools (least an alignment jig or whatever they use). Sounds like this could get expen$ive.
TravisNeff
Well for starters I would look over the tie rod bushings (inner and outer) if they look bad, they probably are. Next check your wheel bearings in the front. With the car on the ground, "hug" your tire and force your body evenly but forcefully back and forth - if you feel a clunk, your wheel bearings need adjustment. Go over the basics first before you go for an alignment. Alignment runsa round 150 to 250 depending on the amount of shims needed in the rear and how much work they need to do to get everthing lined up. You wouldn't want to do an alingment and then find out later you have worn components.
bugsy0
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Sep 11 2006, 11:40 PM) *

Well for starters I would look over the tie rod bushings (inner and outer) if they look bad, they probably are. Next check your wheel bearings in the front. With the car on the ground, "hug" your tire and force your body evenly but forcefully back and forth - if you feel a clunk, your wheel bearings need adjustment. Go over the basics first before you go for an alignment. Alignment runsa round 150 to 250 depending on the amount of shims needed in the rear and how much work they need to do to get everthing lined up. You wouldn't want to do an alingment and then find out later you have worn components.

Thanks - that's very helpful! Hopefully I can find worn steering components.
Joe Ricard
You might want to look at the U-joints coming from the Steering wheel to column to the rack.
I have a buggered up one that makes a somewhat snug spot in the steering. I just have gotten used to it. throws the co drivers off however.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.