Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 2.0 power possibilities?
blitZ
post Sep 14 2006, 10:41 AM
Post #21

Beer please...

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

I suggest you take a ride with someone in your area with a hot four, I think you'd be surprised.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
yarin
post Sep 14 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #22

'14-X'in FOOL

Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 12 2006, 05:31 PM) *

The promotions are not listed, each week I have a product of the week and this week it was two different engine kits. These prices are not listed anywhere, only verbally on the radio show.

The kits were a whopping 20% off the normal price and also 20% off of the entire cost of the kit, including upgrades!!

But the money has to be in my hands by close of business tomorrow- at this point a ton of people are missing out! LISTEN TO THE RADIO SHOW!!

BTW- if I have any hint that a customer did not listen to the show I'll give them a pop quiz- if they fail no discount. I am offering these great deals top promote listenership. If you listen weekly to the show you'll benefit.

I don't plan to offer any more engine kits this way, however.

Great show Jake! Very informative for any 914 owner!

I'm sorry I missed out on the great deal you offered.. i would have pulled the trigger otherwise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

Keep up the great work! Us 914 guys really appreciate your efforts.
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 14 2006, 12:12 PM
Post #23

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(PBritain @ Sep 14 2006, 09:15 AM) *

weighed 1700 when i got it... (felt really good about it til my buddy brought his midget over and it weighed 1300 lol) so far ive gutted the doors, taken out the rear window, changed from the stock heavy fuel tank to a fuel cell, got rid of all of the sound deadening, as well as that sound pad behind the driver, gutted the dash and got all the undercoating off of it. i plan to switch to a carbon fiber hood and trunk, and fiberglass front and rear bumpers.

i figured that should drop me at least 200 lbs but i dunno i might be wrong.

also im not afraid to spend money, but if 120-150 hp is all i can get out of a 2.0 im gonna drop a 6 or a subie in there cuz this car has got to be as mean down a straight as it is through a corner.

did you weigh it on car type corner balancing scales? (truck scales are not always accurate)

thats a pretty good weight then.
1700 is doable for a street legal 4 cylinder
but I haven't seen street legal cars hit 1500... only race cars
brant
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 14 2006, 12:48 PM
Post #24

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

[quote name='yarin' date='Sep 14 2006, 10:09 AM' post='771809']
[quote name='Jake Raby' post='770004' date='Sep 12 2006, 05:31 PM']
The promotions are not listed, each week I have a product of the week and this week it was two different engine kits. These prices are not listed anywhere, only verbally on the radio show.

I'm sorry I missed out on the great deal you offered.. i would have pulled the trigger otherwise. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

[/quote]
Yeah, the offer was sweet.. It pays to listen early and not hesitate!
+Quote Post
PBritain
post Sep 14 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 6,293

yeah i used to race an asa speed truck, so i have the longacre 4 wheel scales. 1700 on the dot haha.

i wish i coulda jumped on that engine deal, but i just dont have the money yet.

i was thinkin about it, and no matter what, im goin with a 2.0 as a base because if i do anything else i have to do a radiator, and i wont be able to do as many vintage races.

so if anyone has a hot four around orange let me know and maybe we can get together so i can see just what im in store for.

thanks guys
Patrick Britain
+Quote Post
brant
post Sep 14 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #26

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Patrick,

you had best start reading up on the rules for the vintage organizations in your areas..

they can be pretty particular about how you build a car and won't allow many things

for example, it could heavily dictate what type of motor components you have... even carbs versus fuel injection (which means no cams if your not allowed carbs) Its common to have a rule that requires "same induction as originally provided by the factory"

my club won't allow any fiberglass. Thus I have metal hoods and fenders.

it also could have an effect upon year of chassis. I had to build a new race car to join my current club, because my 1974 race car was too new and they required 1972 or older.

(note no 2.0/4 motors were produced in 1972 so in my club you have to run a 1.7L motor or a 2.0/6 motor with no exceptions)

lots of rules to adhere too.
brant
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Sep 14 2006, 11:48 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

How about some math here.:

stock 914 2100lbs, 95hp= 22lbs/HP
light 914 1700 lbs 150HP= 11lbs/HP
light 914 1700lbs w/subie= 7.4lbs/HP
Nice street weight 914 2080, w/subie (227)= 9.16

STock ZO6 3100lbs, 505HP= 6.13lbs/HP

If your not rule constrained, don't bother with an aircooled four, can't even come close.
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Sep 15 2006, 06:31 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 1,349

QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 14 2006, 09:48 PM) *

If your not rule constrained, don't bother with an aircooled four, can't even come close.

Your math is fine, but I just don't get it. Why spend all this effort trying to turn your car into a Fiero when they are readily available. There is no heritage, no whirling of the engine fan, you lose your trunk completely due to a radiator. Plus, your German car is being pushed by a Japanese engine. Plus, you pretty well guarantee that your car will end up in the ash heap of automotive history as another "conversion". If it was all about power, or spead, I would have gotten rid of my 914 long ago.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 15 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #29

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

QUOTE(Brett W @ Sep 14 2006, 10:48 PM) *

How about some math here.:

stock 914 2100lbs, 95hp= 22lbs/HP
light 914 1700 lbs 150HP= 11lbs/HP
light 914 1700lbs w/subie= 7.4lbs/HP
Nice street weight 914 2080, w/subie (227)= 9.16

STock ZO6 3100lbs, 505HP= 6.13lbs/HP

How about a 550 Spyder replica weighing 1200 pounds with 184HP.. thats 6.38 lb/HP.. Mine is for sale on Ebay as we speak!

Of course it may not be legal for vintage racing, since its a replica...
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 15 2006, 08:34 AM
Post #30

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Need to turbo that motor Jake to get some really big bragging rights...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 15 2006, 09:28 AM
Post #31

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Spyder would funny with flares and 22 x 9.5 x 15 Slicks But man would it be fast.
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Sep 15 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169
Region Association: None

Spyder is cool. That is a car that can easily reach 1200lbs. You won't get a full sized teener that light. Bet that is one cool ass ride. Would we want to drive it or would we be afraid somebody would flatten it? Is it a street car?

The goal in this case is maximum HP/weight. An aircooled engine can't generate the numbers for the budget. The subaru engine is an offshoot of the T4. It is a better version of said engine. 4 valves, 5 main bearings, twin overhead cams, watercooling, etc. The Japanese took a good idea and refined it. Can't argue with the results.

AS for the other issues, done properly you don't lose a trunk. If it is a properly done conversion with all details taken care of, it wouldn't sell for any less than a normal 914-4 with a modified engine. In fact I would be you could get more money for a well done subby conversion than you could for 90% of the four cylinder cars out there.
+Quote Post
PBritain
post Sep 15 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 6,293

ive come to the conclusion that im going to build my own 2.0 and wherever the power comes out to is where it is. the whole thing will be built my way (unless i dont have a particular preference or something else is just way better) and pretty much its gonna be a car built to suit me and no one else.

hopefully that didnt come out as a know it all i dont want your help statement, because i definately will be needing help along the way.

next week the car will come apart and pictures will be taken.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 09:37 PM