Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tab A into...Where the heck is slot B?, Help me get my car back together
HelluvaEngineer
post Sep 13 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,628

Hi all. I'm still working on that '73 I bought, which had a few parts removed, and a couple of parts lost. I have a couple of what are hopefully simple questions - easy for you 914 gurus. Please chime in if you can.

- Oil Sensors: This car has a sensor behind a black plate on the oil pan. There is a wire on that sensor connected to...nothing. This looks like a good place for an oil temp sensor, which I think is stock. Is this correct? Where does the corresponding wire punch through the firewall (or does it run to the wiring harness / relay board)?

- Air box: The air box was taken off. My questions are: how does the airbox mount to the engine? I don't see any obvious connection points. This is a '73 2.0 with the square paper filter. Does the top part connect to the throttle body with some kind of band clamp?

[EDIT: Duh, looked again. The bottom clamps to the engine, top clamps to the bottom. Still does flange clamp to throttle body? ]

Also, the connection to the throttle body looks like a great place for an air leak, and there are vacuum hoses connected to the air box. Is there supposed to be some kind of oring or other seal in the flange on the air box?

TIA!, HE (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 13 2006, 04:52 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(HelluvaEngineer @ Sep 13 2006, 03:47 PM) *

- Oil Sensors: This car has a sensor behind a black plate on the oil pan. There is a wire on that sensor connected to...nothing. This looks like a good place for an oil temp sensor, which I think is stock. Is this correct? Where does the corresponding wire punch through the firewall (or does it run to the wiring harness / relay board)?

wire is green with black stripe, goes from the sender to a connector on the main harness which is on the pass. side, right under the battery tray.

look for a plasitc connector that comes out of the main harness there. the wires going into the main harness is also green/black ...

and yes, this is an oil-temp sender ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
AZ914
post Sep 13 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #3

914 Dumbass

Member No.: 98
Region Association: Southwest Region

Regarding the airbox, mine just pushes down on the throttle body, then I clamp it to the engine. No band clamp on mine.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 13 2006, 05:46 PM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

both the ones I have include a bandclamp at the throttle body connection. There is a rubber boot that slides over the throttle body to seal it.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
HelluvaEngineer
post Sep 13 2006, 06:39 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,628

Thanks guys. That gets me back on track.

Looks like I might have to substitute a hose clamp and some silicone while I search for the correct parts.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Sep 13 2006, 06:53 PM
Post #6

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

QUOTE(HelluvaEngineer @ Sep 13 2006, 05:39 PM) *

Looks like I might have to substitute a hose clamp and some silicone while I search for the correct parts.

Just keep in mind you don't want to use silicon anywhere near gasoline, look

what happened to Richard Pryor.

Not really because silicon falls apart when introduced to gas.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 04:20 PM