Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Battery - Optima or conventional?, Mine's kaput -what's the feeling from CW's
Pat Garvey
post Sep 14 2006, 08:08 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

Optima or not? if so, which one? My 914 is a garage queen, but when I want to go I want to go.

Problem is - how are these batteries accepted by the judging masses?

Those of you who are regular/perodic judges - what's your take? I'm so sealed in originality that I'm not sure how I feel, even if it doesmake sense.

Opine your hearts out!
Pat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dcheek
post Sep 14 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 6,103

Pat,
I've always put an Interstate battery in mine. I peel off the labels and you can't tell what kind it is. Never heard any negative feedback from the judges.

My opinion on the Optima is that there is no mistaking it for what it is.........an Optima. Nothing particularly wrong with that except it just doesn't look period correct in a '14. I even think the Bosch batteries look a little overpowering with the big BOSCH painted on the side.

Dave
+Quote Post
sixerdon
post Sep 15 2006, 06:55 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 731

Pat,
Generally, Optima's are almost twice the price of conventional. Since your car is a "garage queen", you should check the shelf life of an Optima when not being used. Can you keep it on a constant trickle charge? I don't know. Ask a dealer rep.
I stick with the conventional's. Don't worry about the opinion of judges at shows. Do what's best for your investment.

Don
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Sep 17 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,948
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Sep 14 2006, 06:08 PM) *

Optima or not? if so, which one? My 914 is a garage queen, but when I want to go I want to go.

Problem is - how are these batteries accepted by the judging masses?

Those of you who are regular/perodic judges - what's your take? I'm so sealed in originality that I'm not sure how I feel, even if it doesmake sense.

Opine your hearts out!
Pat

Hi Pat>>> Will love to answer the call on this one for yah..
Yah Gottah Figure that these cars had to have a German Battery from the factory..
You best would know this..
OK...In my Quest to have (someday) the Mega Restored OEM 914...
I got lucky bout 6 years ago doing a lighting job at a wholesale battery
mfr warehouse...Up on the ladder low n behold..I see Porsche Batteries on the
shelf!!!!!!!
So I got to trade out part of the bill for an EXACT match 914 battery..
WITH THE PORSCHE STICKER ON IT !!!
Of which we had to take a heat gun and reverse the label....
Anyway>>>> The plastic cover for the top along with that rubber
large circular 'band'
that holds it..
FITS PERFECT...FITS IN THE TRAY PERFECT!!!
THE POSTS ARE ON THE CORRECT SIDES!!
Here are the #'s yah need..
Douglas Battery Mfr'ing
Porsche Part # 999.611.036.07
Made in Germany
Drawback is only 300CCA..
So if outside in REALLY cold weather could pose a problem..
Mine died due to non useage.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)
So Try Stoddard or????I do need to find another..
Have not been back there since, due to Mngmnt changes..
Lemmeno what is up...Thanx
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Oct 15 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 366

Buy the optima for use, it will prevent damaging acid from hurting the paint and meatl, and that will hurt show points! My experience is that Optimas can hold a charge a long long time, i have 6-7 year old optimas still cranking my car, and some have sat unused for a year. A regular batter would be dead with that abuse. the price is double of the elcheapo batteries, but only 50% more thant eh higher end 'wet" batteries, the longer life of the optima makes it come out about the same price per year of use.

If you really want period correct, then bay a battery, working or not that is correct,a nd swap it out with the optima at each show, jsut be sure to wipe all that nasty sulfuric acid off.

I love the optimas, as you can probably tell. they are so nice.

yeah you could also maybe get period correct tires, with a 30 year old date code on them, (too be totally correct) how ever they will most likely be leaky, and cracked, just like a 30 year old battery would be. Might or might not win the show, but you wouldn't want to drive with them, correct or not.

You just cant beat the optima design, it seem=s just made for the 914 poor battery location issue
The price is not that bad considering how long mine have lasted.
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Oct 16 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #6

Small Member

Member No.: 633

I totally agree with the above.

Pat, for a near perfect looking factory replacement, take your battery cover down to you local FLAPS and find one that it fits. I have an AutoZone battery that is the perfect size, and had easily removeable decals on the case. With the battery cover you cannot tell it apart from factory. if you want the Porsche decal, as I have stated prior, you can have them made for next to nothing - especially if they are the paper backed decal - you can do those on your home computer.

For our Healey, TF, Morris and Jag, we use these:

http://www.tartopper.com/
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 16 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Oct 16 2006, 05:48 PM) *

I totally agree with the above.

Pat, for a near perfect looking factory replacement, take your battery cover down to you local FLAPS and find one that it fits. I have an AutoZone battery that is the perfect size, and had easily removeable decals on the case. With the battery cover you cannot tell it apart from factory. if you want the Porsche decal, as I have stated prior, you can have them made for next to nothing - especially if they are the paper backed decal - you can do those on your home computer.

For our Healey, TF, Morris and Jag, we use these:

Scott,
Interesting, to say the least. As most of you know, the appearance of oiginalty is paramount w/me. Mt last battery was a Pep Boys, but it only last 4 years. Removed the labels, etc. It was made by Douglas at the time. Dead. Fused cells.

My original battery was a Deta (not Bosch) & it lasted 7-8 years. Followed by a J C Penney "guaranteed forever" battery that last 3 years. By the Penney had sold the warranties to Firestone and ......

What I'd REALLY like is another "blank" battery from wherever & "DETA" decals to fit. That would be a killer!
+Quote Post
anthony
post Oct 27 2006, 09:34 AM
Post #8

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

To me this is an area where technology trumps originality. A sealed battery helps prevent the leakage that has burned holes through many a hell hole. The fuel lines are also under the battery - an even better reason to use a sealed battery.

Hawker Odyssey batteries are more square looking if you want to avoid the orbital look of the Optima.

Another solution would be to buy one of the battery covers that the American hot rodders use. They put a new battery under a vintage looking cover.

Did original 914 batteries have fill caps?

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 27 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 27 2006, 11:34 AM) *

To me this is an area where technology trumps originality. A sealed battery helps prevent the leakage that has burned holes through many a hell hole. The fuel lines are also under the battery - an even better reason to use a sealed battery.

Hawker Odyssey batteries are more square looking if you want to avoid the orbital look of the Optima.

Another solution would be to buy one of the battery covers that the American hot rodders use. They put a new battery under a vintage looking cover.

Did original 914 batteries have fill caps?

Anthony,

Yeah, they did have fill caps. You can imagine the contortions needed to fill one of these without overflow onto precious painwork. Almost impossible to attain.

But I've yet to have a supposed unvented battery that didn't need to have the tops removed for fresh water on a periodic basis, and it's always been messy.

Batteries have always been my biggest bitch with 914's. Doesn't matter where they are relocated to, you will still have problems. Now, I've been hearing that the Optimas have been know to "spill their guts".

I'm going to stay with old school. Just like my dual batteries for my 73 911T, I can get them from Interstate & peel off the label.

Anyone know whateve became of DETA batteries? That's what almost all of had in the early 914's. Someone snap them up, or do they still exist (doubtful, these days)?
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Jan 22 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Had an Optima for my 76 914 2.0 back in the 80's. Somehow, when it died after about 5 years, I lost track of how to buy a new one. When I put a conventional "never add water" battery, my tray and battery corner of the car finally began to rust. I had a daily driver original CA car and used it from 83 until 86 EVERY day in rain, snow, ice, what-have-you in New York.

I'm looking for another 914 now and hope to throw an Optima in again. If I ever was serious about a concours, I'd probably spring for a second show battery...

biz
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 27 2007, 09:09 AM
Post #11

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

When I talked to Ed Mayo about his Parade winning 72 911 S, he said that the judges will not mark off for an optima. They feel that the preservation of the chassis is more important than the easily changed battery.

They also don't mark off for carrera chain tensioners on an early 911 or 914/6 either. Another of the "preservation" things.

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jan 27 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jan 27 2007, 10:09 AM) *

When I talked to Ed Mayo about his Parade winning 72 911 S, he said that the judges will not mark off for an optima. They feel that the preservation of the chassis is more important than the easily changed battery.

They also don't mark off for carrera chain tensioners on an early 911 or 914/6 either. Another of the "preservation" things.

Clay,
Good to know. Sounds intelligent!
I know that if you a a 911E/S with hydro suspension, they will also not reduce points for retro conversion to "normal" front suspension. This was one of those major mistakes Porsche made. So, retrograding is more than accepted.

I'm sold - going to Optima. Yellow or Red top?
+Quote Post
bondo
post Jan 27 2007, 09:40 PM
Post #13

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Interstate has a line of sealed VRLA batteries (what an optima is) but they're rectangular and black. I'm not sure about fitment or terminal placement, but the shape is right. Might be worth a look. They're deep cycle, but would probably be fine for starting duty of a type 4. I think they're sold as wheelchair batteries.
+Quote Post
BigDBass
post Jan 30 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #14

Dumb Question Champion

Member No.: 5,405

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) I wish there were an "official" answer for the sealed battery choice in a 914. I've also heard that Odyssey was the better choice but with no real explanation. I'm not sure about the terminals being normal or "reversed" either?
+Quote Post
Matt Meyer
post Feb 12 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #15

Überlurker

Member No.: 1,411
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My understanding is:

Reds are for starting and do not like to be down more than 20% to 30% on power. (Shortens life of the battery)

If you have alot of accessories like a big audio system (probably not an issue in this forum) or store your car and the battery is not maintained on a trickle charger then consider a yellow.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/opt...automotive.html

Basically if your battery is not being maintained fully charged then go with yellow.
+Quote Post
chuxter
post Feb 15 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 2,869

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 27 2007, 06:49 PM) *

Clay,

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yes, do what Ed and Clay said. The Optima is a great investment. Your car will last MUCH longer! I'd suggest the red top. It has much higher CCA. I disconnect the battery each winter and the Optima Red will still crank the car fine in the spring when I hook it up again.

There used to be an orange top, that was like a red, but terminals reversed. Sadly, not enough of us bought them...
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 15 2007, 07:51 PM
Post #17

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(chuxter @ Feb 15 2007, 06:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jan 27 2007, 06:49 PM) *

Clay,

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) Yes, do what Ed and Clay said. The Optima is a great investment. Your car will last MUCH longer! I'd suggest the red top. It has much higher CCA. I disconnect the battery each winter and the Optima Red will still crank the car fine in the spring when I hook it up again.

There used to be an orange top, that was like a red, but terminals reversed. Sadly, not enough of us bought them...

Betty's car has an orange top in it. It makes her happy that it matches the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I talked to the Optima rep. They can rebuild them if they ever go out, but it will cost as much as a new battery, and take longer. For her car, I will probably get the orange top rebuilt.

+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 17 2007, 01:18 AM
Post #18

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

I run Optima in my Carrera and the problem is if you do not use it cannot be recharged over and over. I have killed off a battery in less than one ½ year with just 4 recharging. I put it on a battery mender and it is always is fully charged every time I come into the garage to drive. If you let your car sit with out running it for a few months you need the trickle charger. The battery minder has worked great and I have not killed off any more orange tops. You have to check on orange verses the red top but I killed one off and they would not cover it under the warranty at all. They give you a little male female plus for easy on / off so it is easy to take it for a ride. For a guy like me it is the only way. Same with my Yacht. If I do not go down there for 8 weeks all the power is toped off by a shore computer battery minder. They are not much $40. on Ebay.

Bob
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Mar 2 2007, 07:40 PM
Post #19

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Oct 27 2006, 08:56 PM) *

Anyone know whateve became of DETA batteries? That's what almost all of had in the early 914's.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) , it's what (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) came in mine. Milky white, semi-transparant plastic with DETA on the side. Started leaking onto the battery tray at the factory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) . Got a red top Optima now & don't care what anyone says or thinks... it works & doesn't leak. Would be nice if it was orange! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Mar 8 2007, 07:06 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 7,438

Is there a different hold-down clamp? Something about a difference in thickness?

Are the terminals on the Optima reversed? Do I have to change the wiring?

Which size Optima is for the 914?

And finally, what about a quick disconnect kit for the positive terminal?

Paul
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 04:29 AM