Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Power Steering, Is there an reasonable way to do this?
Randal
post Sep 17 2006, 07:01 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

It is highly likely that we will be running big slicks on The Beast and want it to be a friendly driver for all sexes.

Anybody have a good solution that isn't crazy expensive? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Sep 17 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #2

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

Andy will post in a minute, but the wide slicks dont affect steering that much.

At least Ive heard there inst much difference.

b
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Sep 17 2006, 07:10 PM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I believe there is a GT3RS steering box that will fit. Unfortunately it is spendy, $1500 IIRC.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Sep 17 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #4

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 17 2006, 06:01 PM) *

It is highly likely that we will be running big slicks on The Beast and want it to be a friendly driver for all sexes.

Anybody have a good solution that isn't crazy expensive? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)

Didn't Bill already have the Woods ~$4k PS installed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 17 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Sep 17 2006, 06:23 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Sep 17 2006, 06:01 PM) *

Didn't Bill already have the Woods ~$4k PS installed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I don't think so. That is the reason for the post. Looking for alternatives.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Sep 17 2006, 07:41 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

QUOTE(campbellcj @ Sep 17 2006, 06:10 PM) *

I believe there is a GT3RS steering box that will fit. Unfortunately it is spendy, $1500 IIRC.

That unit is only $1,500? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

What does it take to install it?
+Quote Post
JPB
post Sep 17 2006, 07:50 PM
Post #7

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Steering wheels are not meant to be turned when the car is not in motion due to stress on the rack/system and wear on the tires. If one was in a mud hole then I can see the reason for stationary steering.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Keepem rolling , drive faster, and the wheel will turn easily. It only costed me two cents and your off and runnig, schweet!
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 17 2006, 07:58 PM
Post #8

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(JPB @ Sep 17 2006, 06:50 PM) *

Steering wheels are not meant to be turned when the car is not in motion due to stress on the rack/system and wear on the tires. If one was in a mud hole then I can see the reason for stationary steering.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Keepem rolling , drive faster, and the wheel will turn easily. It only costed me two cents and your off and runnig, schweet!

As he said earlier this car will be running very wide tires (slicks) at AX venues and a very nice person of the fairer sex will be co-driving.
While what you say about keeping the car moving is correct, I am sure that the nice lady co-driving would like some help changing directions with those big slicks at lower AX speeds. Not to mention the 90+ degree turns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Howard
post Sep 17 2006, 08:07 PM
Post #9

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943

Old wimp here. I put my street tires on Suzi for RRC. 195/65's streets instead of sticky 205/50 Azenis. Drove Mulholland twice this weekend.

Big difference in steering effort, and my V8 with 245's on the front is downright tiring. Let's figure out a way to do it. PS is good! Cheap is good!
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Sep 17 2006, 08:09 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,782

I have seen quite a few cars using electric P/S, I think the Toyota MR2 has it. I guess it could be done for peanuts and a lot of tinkering. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Sep 17 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #11

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

Early fords used a pump and a piston down on the stearing link, I beleave it

could be mounted in there with a little hard work and imagination. Maybe drive

the pump with an electric motor.
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Sep 17 2006, 09:10 PM
Post #12

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Toyota electric..

As drive-ability said.

I saw one at Slits's shop.

It looked like all it needed was a 12 volt + and a neutral/ground.

By the looks of it. It would be really simple to install between theh steering wheel and the first universal joint.

I am guessing it takes some pretty good amperage to drive it as the wire size that was going to the mechanism was at least 10 gauge.

The only down side of this setup, (I think) is that the rack was never made for this kind of usage. Therefore i would think the rack life will decrease. Then again... Racks are cheap.I have three of em as spares.

Thats my thoughts anyway.

Clayton
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Sep 17 2006, 11:32 PM
Post #13

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

Putting a power steering unit into a 914 is no easy task. I invested serious money into having a working unit created. Not only does a rack have to be fabbed, so does the tub, the suspension points for attaching the rack and also you have to rearrange the pedal cluster.

We originally tried having a column driven electrical motor unit attached to the 914. This unit was out of a Saturn. Small motor, but alot of things to work out to make it right.

We then looked at the Miata power racks. The could be adapted, but you have to fab quite a bit again.

We also had the Woodard unit that is used in 911s mounted up. Again, not a direct fit. Tons of fabrication.

All of the units except the Saturn unit required moving the MC from the pedal cluster and running a remote resevoir. All of the options were not cheap. Anywhere from $4K to $5K installed.

If we stay with manual steering in The Beast we can play with tire size, stagger, scrub radius, etc....to get it to turn easier. But low speed turns in a GT type car with slicks is tough on most of the female half of the race teams. We would like to have a solution for them..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Bill P.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 17 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I would think that you could (with a little work) re-aim the MC from pointing roughly at the MC to pointing above the MC. The MC actualing rod is on a pivot and as long as the throw stays roughly the same, I would think it would work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 17 2006, 11:50 PM
Post #15

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Like this...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Sep 17 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #16

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

The Toyota unit simply fabs into the steering shaft under the dash. No under car fab. No pump. Just 12 VDC as far as I know. It only has two wires to power it. It is NOT hydraulic. It's about the size of two 930 CV joints stacked on top of another.

Remind myself that I only looked at this for about 5 minutes. At that time, I had already figured out that this was by far the easiest solution to the 914 power steering solution. I forgot about it till now.

I am going to look this stuff up on the net and get back to you guys on the this data...... To make sure it is correct.

I'll call Slits tomorrow and see if he can post a pic or two. If he can find it in the stack of stuff he keeps.

That should better explain this device.

Pics tell a thousand words........
Clayton
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post Sep 18 2006, 03:05 AM
Post #17

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Sep 17 2006, 10:32 PM) *

Putting a power steering unit into a 914 is no easy task. I invested serious money into having a working unit created.
Bill P.

Invested but not used? Here's a cheaper alternative: Barry adapted Corrado VW power steering to hold the wheels while cornering hard. He runs a small business in Canada modifying Porshe and Audis.
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Sep 18 2006, 12:13 PM
Post #18

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

That car is sweet. It looks like he modified the sheetmetal around the pedal cluster to accept the new position of the steering rod. He also added a power brake assembly. Cool.

(IMG:http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2303000-2303999/2303120_4_full.jpg)

(IMG:http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2303000-2303999/2303120_5_full.jpg)

(IMG:http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2303000-2303999/2303120_19_full.jpg)

(IMG:http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2303000-2303999/2303120_31_full.jpg)
+Quote Post
groot
post Sep 18 2006, 12:24 PM
Post #19

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

EPAS is the way to go (Electric Power Assisted Steering). One type of EPAS uses a manual rack and uses electric power to boost the steering on the column (called column-mounted EPAS). This way you keep your 914 or 911 rack and change the steering column to add the power steering.... not for the faint of heart for sure.

The Hybrid Escape has this system as does the 2008 Escape.

Most systems uses more than just 12V. The Escape system is speed sensitive. When we were tuning the 2008 Escape EPAS we would plug in the computer and change the boost curve in real time. Very cool stuff and very tunable.

Now there's a much easier way to reduce your steering effort with big slicks.... reduce your caster.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Sep 18 2006, 02:54 PM
Post #20

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Like this...

Britt Dodd School of Design. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 07:18 PM