Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Project 914 Jenny Craig Continues, Look what showed up at my door....
nine14cats
post Oct 29 2003, 08:21 AM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Picked up my f/g hoods from HPH yesterday. Bontempi made a mistake, they were'nt 11lbs...they were 10lbs!

I picked up the aluminum hood pins as well...they seem quite a bit lighter than the steel ones. Rich has them on his car and he gets his up pretty quick!

Now to just decide on the last pieces....do I get a Sheridan nose, or stay with the stealth look and replace the bumpers with f/g? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)

Anyone know what the headlight and motors weigh? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Lighter=faster.....

Bill

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Oct 29 2003, 08:27 AM
Post #2

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 29 2003, 06:21 AM)
Anyone know what the headlight and motors weigh?

headlights, it doesn't matter, if you need 'em, you need 'em.
motors and gearheads are heavy. GT's don't have them, although their technique involving big springs and a cable-operated release mechanism may not be appropriate for your requirments... (their philosophy was, the car will be back in the pits eventually, the crew can just push 'em back down then ...)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 29 2003, 08:40 AM
Post #3

I'm currently running PCA-GGR, PCA-LPR, and PCA Zone 7 events for points. The class we ran this year was GM. This is a street modified class where you have to have your lights work and have a full interior. You can run slicks on 15x7 rims (which we did) or any tire/wheel combo with a dot-r. All of the lights work on our car. I actually have the registration tag for this year!

The next class up is Y (up to 2.7 open). In this class I have no limits except for the engine size. Of course the competition won't either. Our region will probably be going to a points based system after next season (much like San Diego's Region). I am thinking of running in GM int he GGR and Y in the LPR or Zone next season for testing purposes. I did the same thing this year for car setups and it worked out pretty well. I would test out different tires/suspension/driver inputs in outlying regions and keep a logbook of what I learned. I then applied it to the region I was concentrating on doing well in and apply it. It worked out pretty well.

Now that I'm putting the car on a diet, I'm trying to be weight conscious. Maybe in the next month I'll pull a headlight motor and assembly and weigh it...

Bill
+Quote Post
Randal
post Oct 29 2003, 11:38 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

Bill,

Why don't you keep a excel matrix of the before and after weight of each "module" you swap out?

Randal
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 29 2003, 11:58 AM
Post #5

Hi Randal,

I've already started keeping a spreadsheet. I'll share all of the data I collect over the next few months. I'm going to try to have the car back together by December 27th. That is a day I can run Laguna Seca to test.

Thanks,

Bill
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 29 2003, 12:20 PM
Post #6

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

I have "a plan" to replace the head light motors.....no cables, but it would require opening the hood to get em' up and down. It's a "maybe this winter project". I'll need to get a couple pieces of aluminum milled to suit.

Who made the glass hoods?.....I need(?) some of them too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 29 2003, 12:36 PM
Post #7

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Bontempi has his own made. (because the others fit like crap).

B
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 29 2003, 12:38 PM
Post #8

Hi JP,

I bought the f/g hoods from Rich Bontempi at High Performance House in Redwood City, CA. The cash price was pretty good, better than anything I found on the web.

I'll keep you posted on my tire testing too....it sounds like we have similar issues/fun?

My auto-x setup uses slicks with a 22.8" diameter. For the big tracks I'd like something at least 24.5" and hopefully 25" diameter. That's why I'm toying with the idea of running Hoosiers slicks for auto-x and Hoosier Dot-r's for TT's/track events. At least the Hoosier slicks like a little more camber than the Goodyears....as always...it's a compromise for the $$$$ challenged!

Bill
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 29 2003, 12:40 PM
Post #9

Irrelevant old fart

That is my concern. I've seen a bunch of potato chip
front hoods......what, me worry?.... my car looks like shit nohow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 29 2003, 12:43 PM
Post #10

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

There are no "bolt on" f/g hoods that I found. They all need triming to some degree.
But with f/g it is easy enough.

Paul
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 29 2003, 12:58 PM
Post #11

Irrelevant old fart

Bill:
Yes, it seems we are on the same road to damnation.
I have also "heard" that the Hoosier slicks like some negative camber. I would like to use the Rspecs for DEs and non-competive AXs but use slicks for SCCA.

I'll be most interested in your results. I see your season isn't over whereas mine has one more AX
(weather permitting) before the car goes up on blocks for it's long winters nap.

I would like to keep the car street legal, but I keep looking at weight that could come off......doors, interior, windows......auggh.....I know of a good race car F/S .....double auggh.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 29 2003, 01:03 PM
Post #12

****************************************************************************************************

Bill,
another bolt on heavy piece is the roof. It is high and heavy, two bad things. Several people sell replacements.

Paul
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 29 2003, 01:05 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Lets rock the house and cut the targa bar off... Sheridan F/G bar... Nice pieces and 99% of the Porsche people think its steel until they "knock" on it.

What was the weight Paul ?? 30-40 some odd pounds.

B
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 29 2003, 01:15 PM
Post #14

My targa bar is still stock.
Haven't cut it off yet.

Paul
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 29 2003, 01:20 PM
Post #15

Hey guys....believe it or not I was talking with Roger Sheridan this morning. I just ordered his f/g front spoiler and his rear 6" spoiler (like the one on Brad's tube car).

I talked to him about the roof skin. His is 7 or 8lbs. I haven't weighed my stock roof, but I know it's significantly heavier.

If you cut the stock targa bar off....what re-inforcing would I have to do?

Hmmm...just curious.....yeah...that's it.....just curious.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

JP...GGR has one more auto-x but it conflicts with a business trip so I'm already down for the season. The motor is out for refreshening and the 901's LSD just showed up...hopefully I'll have pics in a day or two....

Do you just plasma cut the targa bar off?.....oh yeah....just curious...that's it....

Bill
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 29 2003, 01:25 PM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Sawzall.

You would have to have down bars added from the main hoop to the fronts of the shock towers.

Roger's targa bar is awesome. He duped the inside and the outside. It seriously looks like a bone stock piece.

The only thing missing are the holes for the shoulder mounted stock seat belts.

I tell everyone the tube car is all fiberglass and they all say: "well.. except the targa bar" Nope.. its FG. They look at you funny and then tap on it.

Bill.. your a pretty smart guy.. hopefully you told Roger how much the 914club likes him and how much Brad likes his products...LOL

B
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Oct 29 2003, 11:05 PM
Post #17

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

There is a POC V4 914 (formerly owned by Kjell Nelin) that has f/g stock (narrow) fenders, possibly from Tweeks, in addition to Roger's lids and top skin and also f/g bumpers. That car is probably >150lbs lighter than mine....good thing the new owner (female) is just learning how to drive (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Oct 29 2003, 11:10 PM
Post #18

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

My latest planned phase is a Getty rear lid (I can pick up locally and save a non-trivial amount of $), the Sheridan 6" SCCA spoiler and the Sheridan targa skin. Also a lexan rear window.

I have also started going thru the car again looking for more stuff to remove while keeping it somewhat "stock looking". It has to have a certain amount of interior and exterior likeness to a stock 914 to be legal in my POC class.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Oct 29 2003, 11:19 PM
Post #19

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

As far as lights, wouldnt the factory fog lights be enough "lights" to pass through the class? or do you have to retain everything...

Andrew
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 29 2003, 11:29 PM
Post #20

Andrew,

In our region, when you get the annual tech inspection for Time Trials, they only check to see if the brake lights work. What comes into play is the letter of the rules and if someone protests that your car does not meet the rules.

As we got faster during the year, someone protested that our car was illegal. We were checked and found to have all electrical working and the car was all metal. In the class we are in, we can go f/g on quite a few pieces...which we are currently doing. You can get away with whatever you want until someone protests.

We've decided to keep the car legal for whatever class we're in. If we decide to go all out this winter on weight reduction, we'll move to the open class. For fun, I'm going to get the car as light as I can in our current class and then have the competition director give it the once over. I think I can pull significant weight out and stay in the street modified.

Bill
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 10:34 AM