Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project 914 Jenny Craig Continues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
Picked up my f/g hoods from HPH yesterday. Bontempi made a mistake, they were'nt 11lbs...they were 10lbs!

I picked up the aluminum hood pins as well...they seem quite a bit lighter than the steel ones. Rich has them on his car and he gets his up pretty quick!

Now to just decide on the last pieces....do I get a Sheridan nose, or stay with the stealth look and replace the bumpers with f/g? cool.gif

Anyone know what the headlight and motors weigh? rolleyes.gif

Lighter=faster.....

Bill
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 29 2003, 06:21 AM)
Anyone know what the headlight and motors weigh?

headlights, it doesn't matter, if you need 'em, you need 'em.
motors and gearheads are heavy. GT's don't have them, although their technique involving big springs and a cable-operated release mechanism may not be appropriate for your requirments... (their philosophy was, the car will be back in the pits eventually, the crew can just push 'em back down then ...)
nine14cats
I'm currently running PCA-GGR, PCA-LPR, and PCA Zone 7 events for points. The class we ran this year was GM. This is a street modified class where you have to have your lights work and have a full interior. You can run slicks on 15x7 rims (which we did) or any tire/wheel combo with a dot-r. All of the lights work on our car. I actually have the registration tag for this year!

The next class up is Y (up to 2.7 open). In this class I have no limits except for the engine size. Of course the competition won't either. Our region will probably be going to a points based system after next season (much like San Diego's Region). I am thinking of running in GM int he GGR and Y in the LPR or Zone next season for testing purposes. I did the same thing this year for car setups and it worked out pretty well. I would test out different tires/suspension/driver inputs in outlying regions and keep a logbook of what I learned. I then applied it to the region I was concentrating on doing well in and apply it. It worked out pretty well.

Now that I'm putting the car on a diet, I'm trying to be weight conscious. Maybe in the next month I'll pull a headlight motor and assembly and weigh it...

Bill
Randal
Bill,

Why don't you keep a excel matrix of the before and after weight of each "module" you swap out?

Randal
nine14cats
Hi Randal,

I've already started keeping a spreadsheet. I'll share all of the data I collect over the next few months. I'm going to try to have the car back together by December 27th. That is a day I can run Laguna Seca to test.

Thanks,

Bill
J P Stein
I have "a plan" to replace the head light motors.....no cables, but it would require opening the hood to get em' up and down. It's a "maybe this winter project". I'll need to get a couple pieces of aluminum milled to suit.

Who made the glass hoods?.....I need(?) some of them too wink.gif
Brad Roberts
Bontempi has his own made. (because the others fit like crap).

B
nine14cats
Hi JP,

I bought the f/g hoods from Rich Bontempi at High Performance House in Redwood City, CA. The cash price was pretty good, better than anything I found on the web.

I'll keep you posted on my tire testing too....it sounds like we have similar issues/fun?

My auto-x setup uses slicks with a 22.8" diameter. For the big tracks I'd like something at least 24.5" and hopefully 25" diameter. That's why I'm toying with the idea of running Hoosiers slicks for auto-x and Hoosier Dot-r's for TT's/track events. At least the Hoosier slicks like a little more camber than the Goodyears....as always...it's a compromise for the $$$$ challenged!

Bill
J P Stein
That is my concern. I've seen a bunch of potato chip
front hoods......what, me worry?.... my car looks like shit nohow laugh.gif
URY914
There are no "bolt on" f/g hoods that I found. They all need triming to some degree.
But with f/g it is easy enough.

Paul
J P Stein
Bill:
Yes, it seems we are on the same road to damnation.
I have also "heard" that the Hoosier slicks like some negative camber. I would like to use the Rspecs for DEs and non-competive AXs but use slicks for SCCA.

I'll be most interested in your results. I see your season isn't over whereas mine has one more AX
(weather permitting) before the car goes up on blocks for it's long winters nap.

I would like to keep the car street legal, but I keep looking at weight that could come off......doors, interior, windows......auggh.....I know of a good race car F/S .....double auggh.
URY914
Bill,
another bolt on heavy piece is the roof. It is high and heavy, two bad things. Several people sell replacements.

Paul
Brad Roberts
Lets rock the house and cut the targa bar off... Sheridan F/G bar... Nice pieces and 99% of the Porsche people think its steel until they "knock" on it.

What was the weight Paul ?? 30-40 some odd pounds.

B
URY914
My targa bar is still stock.
Haven't cut it off yet.

Paul
nine14cats
Hey guys....believe it or not I was talking with Roger Sheridan this morning. I just ordered his f/g front spoiler and his rear 6" spoiler (like the one on Brad's tube car).

I talked to him about the roof skin. His is 7 or 8lbs. I haven't weighed my stock roof, but I know it's significantly heavier.

If you cut the stock targa bar off....what re-inforcing would I have to do?

Hmmm...just curious.....yeah...that's it.....just curious.... rolleyes.gif

JP...GGR has one more auto-x but it conflicts with a business trip so I'm already down for the season. The motor is out for refreshening and the 901's LSD just showed up...hopefully I'll have pics in a day or two....

Do you just plasma cut the targa bar off?.....oh yeah....just curious...that's it....

Bill
laugh.gif
Brad Roberts
Sawzall.

You would have to have down bars added from the main hoop to the fronts of the shock towers.

Roger's targa bar is awesome. He duped the inside and the outside. It seriously looks like a bone stock piece.

The only thing missing are the holes for the shoulder mounted stock seat belts.

I tell everyone the tube car is all fiberglass and they all say: "well.. except the targa bar" Nope.. its FG. They look at you funny and then tap on it.

Bill.. your a pretty smart guy.. hopefully you told Roger how much the 914club likes him and how much Brad likes his products...LOL

B
campbellcj
There is a POC V4 914 (formerly owned by Kjell Nelin) that has f/g stock (narrow) fenders, possibly from Tweeks, in addition to Roger's lids and top skin and also f/g bumpers. That car is probably >150lbs lighter than mine....good thing the new owner (female) is just learning how to drive driving-girl.gif
campbellcj
My latest planned phase is a Getty rear lid (I can pick up locally and save a non-trivial amount of $), the Sheridan 6" SCCA spoiler and the Sheridan targa skin. Also a lexan rear window.

I have also started going thru the car again looking for more stuff to remove while keeping it somewhat "stock looking". It has to have a certain amount of interior and exterior likeness to a stock 914 to be legal in my POC class.
Andyrew
As far as lights, wouldnt the factory fog lights be enough "lights" to pass through the class? or do you have to retain everything...

Andrew
nine14cats
Andrew,

In our region, when you get the annual tech inspection for Time Trials, they only check to see if the brake lights work. What comes into play is the letter of the rules and if someone protests that your car does not meet the rules.

As we got faster during the year, someone protested that our car was illegal. We were checked and found to have all electrical working and the car was all metal. In the class we are in, we can go f/g on quite a few pieces...which we are currently doing. You can get away with whatever you want until someone protests.

We've decided to keep the car legal for whatever class we're in. If we decide to go all out this winter on weight reduction, we'll move to the open class. For fun, I'm going to get the car as light as I can in our current class and then have the competition director give it the once over. I think I can pull significant weight out and stay in the street modified.

Bill
EdwardBlume
Pretty cool Bill.... next year, just try and keep it on 4 wheels... 2 was just too scary. laugh.gif
Mueller
no cables, but it would require opening the hood to get em' up and down

if the car is to be driven on the street, I think the opening the hood to get em' up is a bad idea.....

instead, use one cable similar to the front hood release (use a different shaped handle to avoid mistakes, LOL)

The headlights (in new lighter weight housings) would swing up using springs or better yet, air/gas charged shocks.....they stay up until you manually push them down into thier detents.....

is this how the factory GT race cars had thier front lights????
redshift
factory gts had loop with a piece of rope.

m
nine14cats
laugh.gif

Hey Rob,

Tell me about it...at the time being up on 2 wheels didn't feel bad or scary, it just looked weird from the drivers seat watching and feeling the righ side of the car come off the ground. It was only after the event did I think about what could have happenned. People say you can't get a 914 with a widened track up on 2 wheels....I say the right speed, surface, tires, and slip angle (or lack there of), will bring you up....

I wonder if being lighter will help this or hurt?

Hmmmm......we'll have to wait till next year to find out.

cool.gif

Bill
J P Stein
QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 29 2003, 10:02 PM)
no cables, but it would require opening the hood to get em' up and down

if the car is to be driven on the street, I think the opening the hood to get em' up is a bad idea.....

Well golly, Mike, sorry iff'n ya don't like the idea. I guess I can cross you off my list of guysthathaveamill&canmakethepartsIneed.

There's a concept:KISS
No lebers, detents, cables, contraballances, or other fiddly shit.

2 peices of aluminum, 2 pins & 8 sheet metal screws.

I've used the headlight exactly twice this year.....if it don't rain, maybe once more for Rainbonnet. I can live with it. smile.gif
Randal
Hey Bill,

How much weight would you lose if you scrapped off that three tone paint job and went with only one color? HA HA!

Randal
Eric_Shea
Back to glass...

Mark Bartosh makes some fabulous $hit for a great price. I have his front and rear lids. No cutting or adjusting needed. Just bolt them on. Now, they did need to "settle" which means after a few days in the hot sun the glass finished curing. Simple finish work was all that was needed before paint. I'm thinking about getting doors as well... (fiberglass bumpers, valance, hoods, doors, rockers and a 2.5 short stroker... yee haw!) driving.gif

I have AIR flares and they fit OK. Rennspeed bumpers and valances and they needed a TON of work. Cutting splicing and one of the bumper mounts was on backward... dooooh!

Find Mark in the back of Pano in the classifieds...

No connection, just happy customer.

E.
nine14cats
Hi Randal,

I'm going to take your advice and lighten the car a few ounces by pulling off the blue on the car.... laugh.gif

Actually, I've got to paint the hoods and other f/g stuff...so I may just repaint the car again....the wheel wells on the fender lips get pretty beat up by the end of the year. I want to practice painting again!......NOT! Alot of work....

But it looks like I'm going to shoot paint this winter....What do you think? 4 or 5 tone paint job rolleyes.gif

It is a race car aktion035.gif

Bill
campbellcj
Iff'n one happened to get pulled over and officer Dudley Dooright wanted to do a full shakedown of the equipment, would "manual" headlights pass muster? confused24.gif

There is probably enough illegal stuff on my car already where it sounds worth a try... idea.gif
Randal
Hi Bill,

Guess the color scheme will depend upon what's on sale at Home Depot!

Now seriously, if you want to borrow my new hvlp gun your welcome to it. Also if you need an old body guy to help with the preperation let me know.

Randal
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.