Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Excellence Magazine 914 Valuations ..., prices are rising!!
tod914
post Sep 22 2006, 12:17 PM
Post #41

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 170

Can someone please scan and post the values (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 22 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #42

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

This gets (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif) each time a new value article gets written. It's old news and very predictible. 914's will become much like the 356's that you could once have for cheap prices, but I think the 914's will be a percentage less than the 356's always. Back in 1991 I turned away from a 1964 356 with factory sunroof for $4999 (decent car, very little rust) at a dealer because for another $5k I could have a rusted out 1968 911L. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif)

The cars rust away at crazy fast rates.

People do cut them up for mods, conversions and parts.

One small fender bender and insurance companies total them out.

All of you know what is happening, but it's not gonna happen tomorrow. More like 10-20 years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
blitZ
post Sep 22 2006, 03:01 PM
Post #43

Beer please...

Member No.: 4,719
Region Association: South East States

NADA Guides has interesting values, not sure how they compare to Excellence numbers. These are for my zipcode, maybe less out west.

NADA for 74 2.0

+Quote Post
anthony
post Sep 22 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #44

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I don't necessarily disagree with anyone who says that the price of (realtively) stock 914s is on the rise... but I do believe it's inflated right now, because of various factors.

I don't think 914-4s are overpriced. The fact that you can get a pretty nice 73-74 2L car for under $10K still makes it a budget classic.

What I see happening with 914s is that quality cars are on the rise and beater cars are selling where they were six years ago.

+Quote Post
aircooledboy
post Sep 22 2006, 04:35 PM
Post #45

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 20 2006, 09:07 PM) *

Its due to more and more people ruining good cars by installing radiators into them....

Nothing in the Excellence valuations applies to bastardized 914s!

Keep cuttinem' up guys, your making the others that remain unmolested or correctly modified more valuable!

This one is sure to piss some people off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Hmmmmm.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

You should probably sniff around your shop and try to figure out who has been posting under your screen name over the last few years here, because I have seen somebody pretending to be Jake Raby post no less than 3 times that in his opinion, if you weren't going to do a big TIV, the next best thing in a 914 is an SBC conversion.

Or, maybe you do just get a giggle from stirring the stromberg? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Sep 23 2006, 03:13 AM
Post #46

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Sep 22 2006, 02:15 AM) *

I don't necessarily disagree with anyone who says that the price of (realtively) stock 914s is on the rise... but I do believe it's inflated right now, because of various factors.

The price will normalize over time - the market will determine true value. In the meantime, I hope that will someone PM me with a generous offer to scan a copy of the article for my insurance value... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cheers,
Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
(paid-up Excellence subscriber)

I'll scan it for you when i get home....but you might get home before the book gets to my place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(not Stratplayer)
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Sep 23 2006, 03:20 AM
Post #47

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

Let me get this straight.

The longer my 914 "STAYS ON JACK STANDS" and does not incurr more miles on the drivetrain and chassis. And I can substantiate the mileage.

The more my car is worth...??????????

Fugit...... I am gunna make a mint not doing anything to my car.... Thank God for this report.

Cause logic now dictates I sit on my ass and do nothing more to my car.... Which has been my end result from the beginning.

Thankyou all for this info.... NO MORE GUILT..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA...!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards,
Twystd1
+Quote Post
StratPlayer
post Sep 23 2006, 03:25 AM
Post #48

StratPlayer

Member No.: 27
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Yep that's called "progress" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
WRX914
post Sep 25 2006, 12:06 PM
Post #49

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 21 2006, 03:57 PM) *

It is never a good idea to bash your competition... Doesn't look good.

If I cared I wouldn't have posted it...

The guys that even consider a radiator for their car never even come close to calling me anyway...

Keep creating "Fieros" and I'll continue to bash away and make true statements. Look at barrett Jackson, how many bastardized cars do you see sell there for big bucks compared to their original counterparts??

The 914 is the "356 of tomorrow".. 10 years ago 356s were dirt cheap, now you won't find one for less than 20K unless its rotted away, the 914 is the same way..

I just really can't stand ANY car with a radiator, the only thing worse is a car that wasn't supposed to have one that had one shoehorned where it didn't belong.....

These days when you find someone that doesn't mind pissing off a few people to share his true feelings about something consider yourself lucky! I'm about as politically incorrect as I can be and if it costs me a few bucks so be it.... Its my money and I damn sure don't need any advice!

BTW_ I'm not pissed either, simply hardcore aircooled and refuse to drive anything else!

God,

No matter where you go, you are bound to find someone who disagrees with you... For instance, within the last three weeks I have been to GAF and RRC. I overheard a few highly respected people on this board saying that you build grenades, and don't ever consider buying your engines. Nothing against your product, as I never planned on buying your engines anyway.

Also, according to your infinate wisdom and slightly slanted version of reality, unless you are only rebuilding original engines that came in the 914 and rebuilding to stock specifications you too are bastardizing the car as well. Take for instance your reference to Barret Jackson. Do you really think that the vehicles such as a 70's Tornado are fetching incredible bids and have thier engines pushed to the limits? Hell no they don't. They are bone stock usually all the way down to the window sticker. Another example... a old Vette is worth a shitload more if it has the original engine (matching numbers) in it than one with a crate-engine or even the original engine that is modified the way you modify your unbelievable priced motors. Once you start to modify the engine, you are modifing the value. But you don't seem to want to share this information since your wallet could get thinner if you disclosed the whole truth. Since we are in such an inlightened mood, why don't you share your defeats along with your accomplishments? I always read your posts about head temps and long driving and yippie for your accomplishments. But what about all of your pissed off customers? Care to share those stories?

Club members, remember who this this is coming from. I have only been active in the club for about a year now... I seem to remember that Jake had all but written the 914 crowd off. Something about 914 owners financial bs. And now because it could benifit his pocketbook he is back, slamming the decisions of some members who decided to push the limits of what we want in OUR cars?

Don't you have a radio show to host? What about VW Trends? I would spend my time there if I were you...

Is that the chair you were looking for?
+Quote Post
BKLA
post Sep 25 2006, 12:27 PM
Post #50

Really old member

Member No.: 4,590

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 25 2006, 12:38 PM
Post #51

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

Damn- Looks like I FINALLY pissed someone off!

Mr. WRX,
I appreciate your reply..

Obviously if these people that say I build Grenades are worth a sack of salt then perhaps you'll post their names.. Even then unless they have experienced a failure first hand, they have no opinion of my engine. I have not had any engines fail, to my knowledge that were not brought to my attention. Of course we have things break, everyone does that is pushing the limits, but it does not happen often at all.

As far as pissed off customers, well they don't complain to me! It seems that things are not important enough to be brought up to me, but people run their mouths behind my back. The fact is that many of them are liars and have never bought anything from me.

I will use this opportunity to say that everyone in business pisses people off at some point, no one can please everyone. If anyone has a complaint please address it through the prer channels here and it will be addressed. I can't share experiences from pissed off customers if they don't choose to bring them to my attention!

I came back to this site because I got at least a dozen emails a week while I was gone from members that appreciated what I shared and what I do with the engines.

The fact is that I pissed in this guys corn flakes and now he is digging up whatever he can to use as ammunition against me. I don't build grenades at all and when something I build does break I do my best to work out the situation with the customer until they become disrecpectful or just plain mean, at which time they are on their own.

So... Since these people that were weighing in about me are so reputable I think they need to be identified along with a substantial explanation that lead them to their indirect conclusion that I build grenades...

I do ask that you let this die for just a few days till my dad gets out of the hospital- I have enough to worry about with him right now and would appreciate a break until the end of the week...

+Quote Post
WRX914
post Sep 25 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #52

2.5 WRX STI hybrid powered beast

Member No.: 2,771
Region Association: Southwest Region

All bs aside...

I sincerely hope your father is well. You and your family are in my prayers...

Let me know when you can get back in the ring.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 25 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #53

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Sep 25 2006, 11:58 AM) *

All bs aside...

Thanks,
This has been a very hard weekend as my dad went in for normal back surgery (at least normal for those of us without two heart bypass surgeries and that don't have a dozen experiments in their chest cavity)

He lost a bit more blood than they liked (1 liter) and then had a heart attack while under anesthesia- all of this landed him in ICU...

I'm just not myself right now, I don't feel like working on engines or even being here at the shop, but i have to be today. I am geting ready to go back down and spend some time with him in a few minutes...

I am willing to give up on the watercooled bashing altogether. I'll continue to appreciate those that keep their 914 aircooled, but won't openly bash those that do not. Do what you want, its your car.
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Sep 25 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #54

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Sep 25 2006, 01:04 PM) *

QUOTE(WRX914 @ Sep 25 2006, 11:58 AM) *

All bs aside...

Thanks,
This has been a very hard weekend as my dad went in for normal back surgery (at least normal for those of us without two heart bypass surgeries and that don't have a dozen experiments in their chest cavity)

He lost a bit more blood than they liked (1 liter) and then had a heart attack while under anesthesia- all of this landed him in ICU...

I'm just not myself right now, I don't feel like working on engines or even being here at the shop, but i have to be today. I am geting ready to go back down and spend some time with him in a few minutes...

I am willing to give up on the watercooled bashing altogether. I'll continue to appreciate those that keep their 914 aircooled, but won't openly bash those that do not. Do what you want, its your car.

I too am sorry to hear about your dad, and will pray for him.

There's room here for all kinds of 914's, aircooled, watercooled and electric. That's what makes this place great. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
914nerd
post Sep 25 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #55

Who you callin' a "Member"?

Member No.: 6,461

Amen

Jake, your dad is in all of our prayers
Good luck, hope he gets better soon
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Sep 25 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #56

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

Screw the shop Jake!

spend time with your dad and everyone who has a engine order or parts will and can wait.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 25 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #57

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(tod914 @ Sep 22 2006, 11:17 AM) *

Can someone please scan and post the values (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

the editor of Excellence is a member here and it's copyrighted material....it would kill you to spend $4 at your local bookstore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 25 2006, 05:25 PM
Post #58

Engine Surgeon

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Sep 25 2006, 03:47 PM) *

Screw the shop Jake!

spend time with your dad and everyone who has a engine order or parts will and can wait.

It don't work that way. People don't understand and don't like to hear excuses more than I like to try and make explanations.

I wish it did, but with tough time lines and a hefty backlog we have to keep trucking so we never have to rush to stay on time...

Thats why I'm making this post from room 186 while I watch TV with my dad..
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Sep 25 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #59

Member No.: 3,977

I hope your dad pulls through with his operation/recovery. Discussing our cars in an adult manner and getting heated is one thing,, Family is another thing all together! Despite our differing opinions you and your family have my best wishes.

today was a good day at work,, the equipment didn't fail on me this time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

-Rob
+Quote Post
anthony
post Sep 25 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #60

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

Sorry to hear about your dad Jake.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 05:14 AM