Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Boiled Optima = Alternator belt squealing?
fiid
post Sep 21 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #1

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

I think I overcharged my Optima red top. It does hold some charge, but the voltage seems low, but still sufficient to start the car.

Problem is that my alternator belt now squeals like a pig for about 20 seconds or so after the car starts. You can even watch it on the voltmeter (a new VDO unit). Basically - system voltage sits around 12v, with the alternator squealing, and as the belt gets more traction - it rises to a healthy 13.8v - and the squealing dies off.

I was wondering if the battery is drawing enough amps before the voltage gets up that the alternator is requiring a lot of torque, and causing the belt to slip, and then once the voltage gets up and the battery is over it's initial hump everything works fine??

My belt tensioner is at the limit of it's adjustment, so I can't tighten it anymore, and it's hard to buy a belt that is like 1" shorter since there are very few catalogues that are indexed by length and rib size/count (it's a 5v poly-v belt). I'm thinking replacing the battery is a good idea, but I wanted to consult here and see if anyone has any better ideas.....

Thanks in advance....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bondo
post Sep 21 2006, 11:49 AM
Post #2

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

A good Napa parts store can get you a 1" shorter belt. I had to get a funky belt when I moved my LT1 alternator. I cut the belt to the length I needed and they matched it up perfectly.

I agree that the battery is probably drawing too much at first, but your alternator should also be able to put out it's full output without squealing the belt.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Sep 21 2006, 12:08 PM
Post #3

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

I have never had a alt. belt squeal because of a low battery it is usually

out of adjustment or bearings going bad that will cause that. Bondo is right

about the belt they can fix you up if they are worth a damn.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:17 PM