Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Boiled Optima = Alternator belt squealing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiid
I think I overcharged my Optima red top. It does hold some charge, but the voltage seems low, but still sufficient to start the car.

Problem is that my alternator belt now squeals like a pig for about 20 seconds or so after the car starts. You can even watch it on the voltmeter (a new VDO unit). Basically - system voltage sits around 12v, with the alternator squealing, and as the belt gets more traction - it rises to a healthy 13.8v - and the squealing dies off.

I was wondering if the battery is drawing enough amps before the voltage gets up that the alternator is requiring a lot of torque, and causing the belt to slip, and then once the voltage gets up and the battery is over it's initial hump everything works fine??

My belt tensioner is at the limit of it's adjustment, so I can't tighten it anymore, and it's hard to buy a belt that is like 1" shorter since there are very few catalogues that are indexed by length and rib size/count (it's a 5v poly-v belt). I'm thinking replacing the battery is a good idea, but I wanted to consult here and see if anyone has any better ideas.....

Thanks in advance....
bondo
A good Napa parts store can get you a 1" shorter belt. I had to get a funky belt when I moved my LT1 alternator. I cut the belt to the length I needed and they matched it up perfectly.

I agree that the battery is probably drawing too much at first, but your alternator should also be able to put out it's full output without squealing the belt.
So.Cal.914
I have never had a alt. belt squeal because of a low battery it is usually

out of adjustment or bearings going bad that will cause that. Bondo is right

about the belt they can fix you up if they are worth a damn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.