Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quick realease, steering wheel
groot
post Sep 28 2006, 06:43 AM
Post #21

Dis member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,444

Biscuit... I think... I kept looking at that spelling and couldn't figure out how it was supposed to be spelled....speeling ain't my best thingy.

Good info Brad... never thought to change it because I'm happy with my steering, but it's certainly something I could run a back to back on.

My rack is raised. Since I tossed the front subframe in favor of my weirdo front suspension, I had to do something to mount the rack. So I made a mount and raised it at the same time.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Sep 28 2006, 07:05 AM
Post #22

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(Mike T @ Sep 28 2006, 02:23 AM) *
Biskit?

I guess he means the 'hockey puck' that mounts between the steering rack and the steering shaft
+Quote Post
groot
post Sep 28 2006, 07:56 AM
Post #23

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

I've heard them called "rag joints" more often than anything else. I believe a long time ago they were more rag than rubber and cloth.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Sep 28 2006, 10:38 AM
Post #24

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Brad that is good info, I never thought about changing the rag joint biscuit, brisket (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif) out, would solve a minor issue I have. Looks like I will be under the car tonight.

Groot, don't feel bad I can't pesll either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I figured you would have the bump-steer adjustment out at the arm and hub. But then you probably figured it out and just built the proper amount into your chassis mount. I can see that also, one less thing to break, and force to contend with, on a longer tie-rod bolt.

I currently run 930 tie rods, but have been thinking about replacing the inner ball joint and going back the the stock U mount on the bar. I figure I could add washer in between a spherical rod end and have some bump (more precise) adjustment. Than the Weltmeister spacer gives. At a fraction of the cost of the Elephant Racing version. If I needed more, I could have a new set of U's made up to allow for larger range of motion.

I could be wrong here, I usually am. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
smdubovsky
post Sep 28 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,837
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Groot,
Yes I meant radial play. When going from L to R there is a small gap.

The wheels sometimes go out of balance over a weekend. ~2hrs of track time for us usually. I haven't done it before, but there is a 3hr enduro in Feb. W/ Fri practice & a sprint on Sat, we might put 5+hrs or so on the car. Definately enough time to wear off some rubber and throw the balance off. When we move tires around (to even out wear) it often goes away. I've never bothered to take a used tire back to the shop to rebalance it though...

BTW, I think porsche and BMW both call them "guibos". Thats the official term for the rubber donuts in the BMW driveshafts and I think Porsche also used it for the ones they put in the 935 Ti halfshafts. I've always wondered if it was some german manufacturer brandname but it now used like Kleenex for all similar products.

914forme,
Thats brilliant. I see no problem w/ it. If you need more adjustment, why not just bend the arms 'closer' and use the shims for fine tuning. Cheaper than 930 tie rods too... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

SMD
+Quote Post
Mike T
post Sep 28 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #26

can't 'member

Member No.: 161

Ah, the rubbery disc like in a VW Beetle steering shaft? I didn't know the 914 had those too. Never had one apart that far.

Is it easily removable?

Mike T

+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Sep 30 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #27

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

guibo!

BMW used them on 2002 driveshafts also!!!

so if we remove the guibo/biscuit/hockeypuck/rag joint will we need a spacer? or do we just rotate the uppershaft 90 degrees and bolt em together?

any mods required to eliminate the guibo? (other than recenter the steering wheel)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 07:35 AM