Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> After 40 months I am back on the Road!, 300 miles this weekend. What a blast!!!
Heeltoe914
post Oct 2 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,506

QUOTE(william harris @ Oct 1 2006, 09:06 AM) *

I plan on some autocross duties in the future, and maybe a concours just to show the Whine and Cheese crowd that teeners can cover all the bases and then some.

Thats the way to enjoy your car. Drive it and show it.
Your car looks great and you being so pumped about it makes it even better.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
william harris
post Oct 2 2006, 11:13 AM
Post #42

914 Restorer

Member No.: 1,539

Ben: yes, a trip to Colorado is planned for next summer with my friend Eric Sanders. See, Eric is responsible for this addiction, found this car and insisted that I buy it. Eric has a 73 1.7 and my first ride in his car convinced me I had to get one! So, when is the 07 event? Maybe we can be there at the right time? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif) Eric's brother lives in Colorado and knows the guy who owns the Gmund replica and says he can arrange a tour. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
william harris
post Oct 2 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #43

914 Restorer

Well, you knew it had to be too good to be true. Car was running rough at low rpm. Got a bad Manifold Pressure Sensor. Actually, I have two bad MPS. One has bad electrics and one has a bad diaphram. Maybe I can make one good one out of two bad ones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Dropped a note to the usual suspects re rebuild services. Is anybody out there listening?
+Quote Post
Rambo
post Oct 2 2006, 07:07 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 4,596

QUOTE(william harris @ Oct 2 2006, 02:42 PM) *

Well, you knew it had to be too good to be true. Car was running rough at low rpm. Got a bad Manifold Pressure Sensor. Actually, I have two bad MPS. One has bad electrics and one has a bad diaphram. Maybe I can make one good one out of two bad ones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) Dropped a note to the usual suspects re rebuild services. Is anybody out there listening?

------------------------------------------------------

I may be crude........but I gotta ask; how much $ U put in it so far?
+Quote Post
teen914
post Oct 2 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 6,377

nice looking car. that engine pulls hard. my dad and i have a raby 2270, and that thing screams for a 4.
+Quote Post
bugsy0
post Oct 2 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #46

Member No.: 6,508
Region Association: None

I do believe that is the finest 914 I have ever seen. You've basically done an ideal restoration, with an ideal attitude toward originality and changes per your taste. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) 40 months? I wonder if I have the tenacity and faith.....?
+Quote Post
william harris
post Oct 3 2006, 05:48 AM
Post #47

914 Restorer

How much? To tell you the truth, I have never added up the costs and really never intend to. Some items - soda blasting to bear metal: $2,000, paint - three color coats and many clear coats, with all metal body work - $6,000, engine build and rebuild (don't ask) $5,000 - $6,000, etc. etc. Ever read the book, the Gold Plated Porsche? But this was a labor of love, I did as much of the work myself as my meager talents allowed and this car is NEVER FOR SALE. Here's what she started as.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
william harris
post Oct 3 2006, 05:49 AM
Post #48

914 Restorer

Another blast from the past.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rambo
post Oct 3 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 4,596

QUOTE(william harris @ Oct 3 2006, 03:48 AM) *

How much? To tell you the truth, I have never added up the costs and really never intend to. Some items - soda blasting to bear metal: $2,000, paint - three color coats and many clear coats, with all metal body work - $6,000, engine build and rebuild (don't ask) $5,000 - $6,000, etc. etc. Ever read the book, the Gold Plated Porsche? But this was a labor of love, I did as much of the work myself as my meager talents allowed and this car is NEVER FOR SALE. Here's what she started as.

---------------------------------

good on ya..
+Quote Post
jfort
post Oct 5 2006, 09:23 AM
Post #50

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

very cool. nice car. congrats!
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Oct 5 2006, 09:33 AM
Post #51

|||

Member No.: 2,128
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(william harris @ Oct 2 2006, 09:13 AM) *

Ben: yes, a trip to Colorado is planned for next summer with my friend Eric Sanders. See, Eric is responsible for this addiction, found this car and insisted that I buy it. Eric has a 73 1.7 and my first ride in his car convinced me I had to get one! So, when is the 07 event? Maybe we can be there at the right time? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/jsharp.gif) Eric's brother lives in Colorado and knows the guy who owns the Gmund replica and says he can arrange a tour. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

RRC 2007 should take place the last week of September in Moab, UT. You should definitely look into showing up...that car is miraculously beautiful...you'd steal the show!

So your friend's brother knows George huh? Very cool. The shop has to be seen to be believed. Of course I've seen it, I live here!

It would be great to meet you when you make it out here next year William. Think about RRC 07. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
rhcb914
post Oct 5 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #52

Member No.: 1,626

Sweet car William!!! Can't wait to see it in person.

Us NE folks need to get together for breakfast and a drive before winter sets in!
+Quote Post
william harris
post Oct 5 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #53

914 Restorer

Guys and Gals, do I ever have that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) going today. See, until today I was driving the teener with a bad MPS. Got a rebuilt one overnight from Performance Products and all I can say is HOLY CRAP (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) This 2056 performance motor - Raby's special cam, Hoffman heads and Evo header system just rocks!!! 120mph at 5,500 rpm and still pulling strong. I almost didn't go back to work today. The Boxster S is going into the garage for a rest until the snow starts falling. YEHAAAAAA!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 5 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #54

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Sell the Boxster..

Imagine a 2270 with FIFTY more HP than what you have now- thats reality...

Glad you are having fun, these types of results keeps the -4 going strong and is proof that our thoughts really work!
+Quote Post
william harris
post Oct 5 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #55

914 Restorer

Come on Jake, I gotta have something to drive in the winter. This engine has such a wonderful range. If I want to drive it very easy, it just purrs along like a little bug - kinda reminds me of the Karmann Ghia I drove in high school. But now with a working MPS, if I want to nail it, now I have the full rpm range in 1 and 2nd gear, this was missing before, I saw 5,000 rpm in 1st and 2nd today and boy does she wind up fast. Pulls really strong in 3rd and 4th gears and by the time you hit 5th you are over 100 mph and grinning from ear to ear. Pulling some very fast corners I noticed the oil pressure light coming on for a few seconds, I assume the Gs must have collected the oil on one side of the case. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have put the Boxster in the garage for the next couple of weeks. 400 miles since Friday and over the weekend I should add at least another 200 miles. Good gas mileage too. My highest regards for your amazing talent in the Type 4 development. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 6 2006, 07:37 AM
Post #56

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Watch that oil light... You might need to upgrade to a "Tuna can" or a deep sump if that occurs more often..

Keep having fun..
+Quote Post
william harris
post Oct 6 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #57

914 Restorer

OK, I gotta ask, is this part available from the Type 4 store? Part number please. Don't want to slow down from the maximum G turns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
william harris
post Oct 6 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #58

914 Restorer

Raby: another thing. I am sending the old MPS to Bleyseng to rebuild. He can fine tune the MPS to the specs of this engine. Can you supply cam grind number, duration and lift so those parameters can go into his work. You may PM me with the specifics. Thanks. BTW, your PM on the board does not work.
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Oct 6 2006, 10:11 AM
Post #59

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

QUOTE(william harris @ Oct 6 2006, 10:01 AM) *

OK, I gotta ask, is this part available from the Type 4 store? Part number please. Don't want to slow down from the maximum G turns. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

William,
great to see you up and running!
It's a common practice to overfill the crankcase by 1/2 quart to minimize bearing starvation from spirited driving. This might be a good idea until you get the Tuna can.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 6 2006, 10:18 AM
Post #60

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

PelicanParts has the tuna cans...

Jake, Is he running the 9550 cam???
+Quote Post

5 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 03:05 AM