Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After 40 months I am back on the Road!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
william harris
40 months ago I purchased a tired 74 2.0 that had seen its better days! The 2.0 power plant and been pulled, supposedly due to a spun bearing (this turned out to be inaccurate). A 1.7 was sourced from a 73 donor, parts car and leaked oil so bad from the push rod tubes that you could smell the oil burning off the heat exchangers. The car's suspension was gone, still running on the factory OEM pieces (also leaking pretty bad from the struts). The 1.7 had been converted to a single carb set up and ran very poorly. The rust in the hell holes had been glassed over, etc. etc. Well last Friday (two days ago) I picked up the almost completed car (going back for a few small details) and boy have I enjoyed the 300 miles this weekend. Here it sits this afternoon in my office parking lot.
StratPlayer
Congrats,,,,very nice car,, sure is fun.. boldblue.gif
So.Cal.914
Nice color, looks good.
william harris
Last night I sat down with the inches thick stack of receipts, etc. and retraced the long route to bring this car back. I have retained the original fuel injection, but the motor has a few surprises. 2056 cc with head work by Hoffman Machine shop and a Jake Raby cam that really comes alive above 2,500 rpm and then there is the real growl exiting the Chris Foley Evo header system. Koni shocks, 100 pound springs, OEM front and rear anti-sway bars, Elephant Racing poly bronze bushings, Turbo tie rods, etc. This car just brings a smile to your face in the twisties! cool.gif
william harris
I plan on just driving the hell out of the teener until the winter conditions dictate putting it away. Then I will finish the interior, redo the seats and remove the bumpers, weld up the holes for the tits and rechrome them. I will pronounce it finished and prepare for the trip to Colorado next summer with Eric Sanders.
william harris
You might notice that I eliminated the side markers, the holes were butt welded up as well as the hole for the radio antenna. The body work was a metal shaping and finishing with no filler. Color is Lapis Blue, a modern Porsche color.
Mueller
Congradulations Mr. Harris !!!!! biggrin.gif

william harris
There are so many people on this board that made this possible: Bradholio, Jake Raby, Chris Foley, Jeff Bowlsby, Perry Kiehl, Rich Bontempti, Eric Shea and on and on. There were times when I just thought the project would never be finished and really would have lost heart except for the support of this community.
KaptKaos
smiley_notworthy.gif smilie_pokal.gif rocking nana.gif beerchug.gif
william harris
Camp 914, Strasse, German Parts and Restoration, Pelican Parts and even the dreaded Auto Atlanta who saved my ass when the car was in paint and my other supplier (name omitted to protect the guilty) failed to deliver the steel rocker covers when they were needed to paint and bolt on.
william harris
I was so happy to bring this baby home I got up at 6:00 a.m. Saturday to wash it off (the guys at Autobahn Performance got it off the alignment machine at 5:45 Friday and we enjoyed a few beerchug.gif before I drove off, didn't even have time to rinse off the accumulated grime because I said I am just going to drive it NOW!!! It will be ready for the first valve adjustment in a matter of days. driving.gif
Eric_Shea
Way to go William! smilie_pokal.gif

It was fun watching the progress over the last 40 months.

Now....... RRC07 idea.gif
william harris
I am looking for interesting roads to cruise and test the limits of the suspension. The handling is confidence inspiring and remember, my previous daily driver was a Boxster S and the fun factor here is multiples higher.
william harris
Everything works on this car. When I took it in for the MA inspection the garage said, what is it? They put it thru the paces and passed everything. Said "it sure doesn't sound like a 4 cylinder, what kinda motor is that? biggrin.gif
william harris
A few custom touches were just my idea as to how I wanted the car to look. Maybe not for the purist, but it suits my tastes. The gold letters look good with the Lapis Blue color. drooley.gif
william harris
I left the tits off because they were shot, cracked and bring rust into the car from the bolts thru the bumper. I will include a couple of pictures of the power plant. No heat from the Evo headers, so when it get cold I may have to use the electrics from the bike suit plugged into the cig lighter. laugh.gif
william harris
Rainy day, but who cares? This car was built to drive thumb3d.gif
william harris
I plan on some autocross duties in the future, and maybe a concours just to show the Whine and Cheese crowd that teeners can cover all the bases and then some.
william harris
You can't really see it very well, but this engine was detailed to the nth degree. Powder coated engine tin, all pieces cleaned and painted and the suspension is just as clean.
william harris
Well, enough computer time, I am headed back on the road now. I guess from now on I can move from the "restoration" thread to the "on the road and loving it" thread. THANKS GUYS AND GALS, THIS COMMUNITY MADE IT POSSIBLE beerchug.gif
william harris
Those of you in MA/NH/CT etc. drop me a line and lets get together and drive. Eric? Rich Towle? Usual suspects?
Jake Raby
Glad to see that the car is finally finished and that the engine is what you expected!
anthony
Looks schweet!!
Grimstead
SO very Cool, congrats on getting her back on the road!
thumb3d.gif
william harris
Raby: that Type 4 motor is a blast. It really reminds me of my first Boxster with the 2.7 motor - when it gets on cam it just really pulls. 1st and 2nd gear are kinda short legged, but in 3rd, 4th and 5th from 2,500 rpms it just moves and pulls very strong. Now I only have 300 miles on the motor so I am keeping the revs down to not much over 4,000, I can't wait to see the top end! The cam in kinda lumpy, at a stop light, with the Evo headers, it kinda chugs along like a small block Chevy. Thanks so much for all your contributions to this project. beerchug.gif
Jake Raby
Sure..
Don't be a fraid to wind it up a little. In my experience the way an engine is broken in is also the same way it'll drive later on.

As long as it don't leak oil or have any rattles just spool it up to redline.. If its gonna break, may as well break it right now! Waiting around won't change a thing... That being said I'd redline it at 6,500 :-0
rjames
Sweet car! Love the color, and one day I hope to be in a position to consider adding that engine to my car...

run it to 6500 rpm- recommended? N I C E ! !
Doug Leggins
Fantastic work William! Here's to a job well done beerchug.gif
Jeroen
congrats with the awesome results!
have a beerchug.gif on a job well done and enjoy the ride!
william harris
6,500 RPM!!! Man this is gonna be good. I better carry bail money in the car. Seeing an indicated 90 mph at 4,000 rpm, course that must be off with the tire size exceeding the stock speedo gearing. Raby, I'll let you know how she runs. Oh sweet Jesus, this is gonna be fun. boldblue.gif
mskala
I like it! rocking nana.gif
Rleog
Here's to ya, William.... beer3.gif

Glad to see this come about!
ejm
smilie_pokal.gif looks great!
Howard
Just Wow! Great job.
michel richard
Very, very well done.

Congratulations.

william harris
Holy Crap!!! With Raby's encouragement I wound it up a bit this morning on I-95, 5,000 rpm with an indicated 110 mph and still pulling strong when I backed off. With 1,500 rpms to go the top end on this motor is really up there mueba.gif Raby: what do you expect from top end in terms of speed/mph??? This Type 4 really moves pray.gif
Jake Raby
Top end is dependant upon your tire height and gearing more thawn anything else, aerodynamics also play a key role at higher speeds... You should be able to see 125 pretty easily if that engine is making the power that it should be.

Just because the engine will spin to 6,500 RPM doesn't mean it will have the HP in 5th gear to push the 914 through the wind to higher top speeds. When you hit the aero wall the car goes no faster..
jonwatts
No radio? All you have to listen to is the engine wacko.gif

j/k I'm sure you like that song just fine biggrin.gif
william harris
Yes, no radio. The only music I want to hear is the Type 4 blasting thru the Evo headers. Beautiful, especially as the rpms build!!! burnout.gif
BMartin914
Gorgeous car!

Trip to Colorado? idea.gif

William, your car is DEFINITELY a contender for the Best /4 Award at RRC 2007!
Heeltoe914
QUOTE(william harris @ Oct 1 2006, 09:06 AM) *

I plan on some autocross duties in the future, and maybe a concours just to show the Whine and Cheese crowd that teeners can cover all the bases and then some.

Thats the way to enjoy your car. Drive it and show it.
Your car looks great and you being so pumped about it makes it even better.
william harris
Ben: yes, a trip to Colorado is planned for next summer with my friend Eric Sanders. See, Eric is responsible for this addiction, found this car and insisted that I buy it. Eric has a 73 1.7 and my first ride in his car convinced me I had to get one! So, when is the 07 event? Maybe we can be there at the right time? jsharp.gif Eric's brother lives in Colorado and knows the guy who owns the Gmund replica and says he can arrange a tour. clap56.gif
william harris
Well, you knew it had to be too good to be true. Car was running rough at low rpm. Got a bad Manifold Pressure Sensor. Actually, I have two bad MPS. One has bad electrics and one has a bad diaphram. Maybe I can make one good one out of two bad ones. headbang.gif Dropped a note to the usual suspects re rebuild services. Is anybody out there listening?
Rambo
QUOTE(william harris @ Oct 2 2006, 02:42 PM) *

Well, you knew it had to be too good to be true. Car was running rough at low rpm. Got a bad Manifold Pressure Sensor. Actually, I have two bad MPS. One has bad electrics and one has a bad diaphram. Maybe I can make one good one out of two bad ones. headbang.gif Dropped a note to the usual suspects re rebuild services. Is anybody out there listening?

------------------------------------------------------

I may be crude........but I gotta ask; how much $ U put in it so far?
teen914
nice looking car. that engine pulls hard. my dad and i have a raby 2270, and that thing screams for a 4.
bugsy0
I do believe that is the finest 914 I have ever seen. You've basically done an ideal restoration, with an ideal attitude toward originality and changes per your taste. thumb3d.gif 40 months? I wonder if I have the tenacity and faith.....?
william harris
How much? To tell you the truth, I have never added up the costs and really never intend to. Some items - soda blasting to bear metal: $2,000, paint - three color coats and many clear coats, with all metal body work - $6,000, engine build and rebuild (don't ask) $5,000 - $6,000, etc. etc. Ever read the book, the Gold Plated Porsche? But this was a labor of love, I did as much of the work myself as my meager talents allowed and this car is NEVER FOR SALE. Here's what she started as.
william harris
Another blast from the past.
Rambo
QUOTE(william harris @ Oct 3 2006, 03:48 AM) *

How much? To tell you the truth, I have never added up the costs and really never intend to. Some items - soda blasting to bear metal: $2,000, paint - three color coats and many clear coats, with all metal body work - $6,000, engine build and rebuild (don't ask) $5,000 - $6,000, etc. etc. Ever read the book, the Gold Plated Porsche? But this was a labor of love, I did as much of the work myself as my meager talents allowed and this car is NEVER FOR SALE. Here's what she started as.

---------------------------------

good on ya..
jfort
very cool. nice car. congrats!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.