Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: After 40 months I am back on the Road!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
BMartin914
QUOTE(william harris @ Oct 2 2006, 09:13 AM) *

Ben: yes, a trip to Colorado is planned for next summer with my friend Eric Sanders. See, Eric is responsible for this addiction, found this car and insisted that I buy it. Eric has a 73 1.7 and my first ride in his car convinced me I had to get one! So, when is the 07 event? Maybe we can be there at the right time? jsharp.gif Eric's brother lives in Colorado and knows the guy who owns the Gmund replica and says he can arrange a tour. clap56.gif

RRC 2007 should take place the last week of September in Moab, UT. You should definitely look into showing up...that car is miraculously beautiful...you'd steal the show!

So your friend's brother knows George huh? Very cool. The shop has to be seen to be believed. Of course I've seen it, I live here!

It would be great to meet you when you make it out here next year William. Think about RRC 07. idea.gif
rhcb914
Sweet car William!!! Can't wait to see it in person.

Us NE folks need to get together for breakfast and a drive before winter sets in!
william harris
Guys and Gals, do I ever have that biggrin.gif going today. See, until today I was driving the teener with a bad MPS. Got a rebuilt one overnight from Performance Products and all I can say is HOLY CRAP burnout.gif boldblue.gif clap56.gif mueba.gif This 2056 performance motor - Raby's special cam, Hoffman heads and Evo header system just rocks!!! 120mph at 5,500 rpm and still pulling strong. I almost didn't go back to work today. The Boxster S is going into the garage for a rest until the snow starts falling. YEHAAAAAA!!!! w00t.gif
Jake Raby
Sell the Boxster..

Imagine a 2270 with FIFTY more HP than what you have now- thats reality...

Glad you are having fun, these types of results keeps the -4 going strong and is proof that our thoughts really work!
william harris
Come on Jake, I gotta have something to drive in the winter. This engine has such a wonderful range. If I want to drive it very easy, it just purrs along like a little bug - kinda reminds me of the Karmann Ghia I drove in high school. But now with a working MPS, if I want to nail it, now I have the full rpm range in 1 and 2nd gear, this was missing before, I saw 5,000 rpm in 1st and 2nd today and boy does she wind up fast. Pulls really strong in 3rd and 4th gears and by the time you hit 5th you are over 100 mph and grinning from ear to ear. Pulling some very fast corners I noticed the oil pressure light coming on for a few seconds, I assume the Gs must have collected the oil on one side of the case. Is this something I should be concerned about? I have put the Boxster in the garage for the next couple of weeks. 400 miles since Friday and over the weekend I should add at least another 200 miles. Good gas mileage too. My highest regards for your amazing talent in the Type 4 development. thumb3d.gif
Jake Raby
Watch that oil light... You might need to upgrade to a "Tuna can" or a deep sump if that occurs more often..

Keep having fun..
william harris
OK, I gotta ask, is this part available from the Type 4 store? Part number please. Don't want to slow down from the maximum G turns. happy11.gif
william harris
Raby: another thing. I am sending the old MPS to Bleyseng to rebuild. He can fine tune the MPS to the specs of this engine. Can you supply cam grind number, duration and lift so those parameters can go into his work. You may PM me with the specifics. Thanks. BTW, your PM on the board does not work.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(william harris @ Oct 6 2006, 10:01 AM) *

OK, I gotta ask, is this part available from the Type 4 store? Part number please. Don't want to slow down from the maximum G turns. happy11.gif

William,
great to see you up and running!
It's a common practice to overfill the crankcase by 1/2 quart to minimize bearing starvation from spirited driving. This might be a good idea until you get the Tuna can.
Bleyseng
PelicanParts has the tuna cans...

Jake, Is he running the 9550 cam???
Jake Raby
William, I turned off my PM months ago.. Too many questions being directed through it that needed documenting in my store..

I **think** he got a 9550 cam.. Chris might remember, he built the engine.
william harris
Thanks Jake and Chris. I'll check the invoice from the Type 4 store. Jake, do you think adding 1/2 quart of oil is good idea? idea.gif
Bleyseng
I runit all the time like that since I drive like a manic. burnout.gif
william harris
Bleyseng: Isn't that why we have the 914? burnout.gif driving.gif I'll just add a 1/2 quart and see what happens. There is this really tight S curve about a mile from my house, most cars slow down to about 10 mph, I made it just fine at 45 mph yesterday, this is where the green light winked at me. Otherwise, felt so good I just had to do it again. happy11.gif
Brad Roberts
Congrats William!!! This is awesome smile.gif

It was a pleasure working with you on the project (albeit not physically) It is nice to hear the phone calls continue during the project. It means the customer has not lost interest and will have a pristeen car when done.

Dont sell the Boxster..LOL

Geoff,

can you PM me your address. I need to send up a MPS for tuning.

B
william harris
Brad, you played a huge role in getting this one done. Your advice and encouragement kept me on track. This community exists in large part because of your efforts. Happy to see you dropped in on my little thread here, more than 3 years later. beerchug.gif So PM and tell me what you are up to these days. And by the way, I am definitely keeping the Boxster S, whenever I want/need AC, heat, music and modern refinement, it fits the bill. smile.gif
Bleyseng
more pics of your car!

mebbe one of the Boxster....
william harris
No problem, I will wash them both, don't laugh this doesn't happen too often around my house, and pose them with the other boxster power plant at my house - my BMWR1150R! Stay tuned tomorrow. Damn, guess that means I will have to wash the bike too. laugh.gif
GTeener
thumb3d.gif Nice car. Beautiful color. Enjoy! driving.gif
william harris
Bleyseng: Well today (Saturday) didn't exactly go as planned. My wife had a conflict with the schedule, so I ended up taking my 15 year old son in for his dentist appointment for a root canal this morning. That pretty much shot the idea of driving to Ft. Devens for the Zone 1 autocross. So instead, I went home and did a few details - pulled the driver door panel off, adjusted the window stop to allow window to raise to full height (small gap before) and move the channel over to slant in correctly (too upright before) and lubed the door stay rollers and springs (creaking before) and then buttoned up the door. Then I drove over to Eric Sanders house and we spent some time adjusting the drivers side headlight to get to gaps lined up to suit us - it was too low and off center before and then I pulled the steering wheel off to fix the turn signals so that they would cancel - and now they do. So I spent the rest of the day driving another 100 miles. Almost 600 miles since I picked her up and she runs better all the time. Got home just in time to wash off the dust and even dried her off (more pictures of the cleaner car tomorrow). So here she is about 6:00 EST after a fun day burnout.gif
william harris
You can see the Boxster S in the background. Didn't have much sunlight left so I snapped a few pictures before the sun went down.
william harris
The paint has not been buffed out yet and has no wax on it. The car is going back into the body shop Monday to repair the dent in the trunk lid some asshole made as my car was parked in my driveway Thursday night. This is the second time my cars have been vandalized at my house. A couple of months ago some jerk slammed the drivers door with a hard object and the dent doctor worked miracles to fix that one. Now I have to move all my other cars around to put the Porsches away in the garages each night. Sometimes this is a PITA. But with mental midgets roaming the streets what ya gonna do?? chair.gif
william harris
My 15 year old son (who worked alot on the 914 with me) was so mad he wanted to hide in the front yard with his paintball gun waiting for the jerks to make a return appearance. I nixed that plan. My Porsches have been vandalized before, years ago I had a new C4S and while parked at my office building someone keyed every body panel - had to have the whole car repainted. There are too many sick people in this world. stromberg.gif
william harris
I didn't have time to wash the Boxster S, so I just shot a few pics for Bleyseng. Think the hardtop will be going on soon. I have already removed the 18 inch wheels and summer tires and put the 17 inch wheels with winter 210s on. These tires really are all season and give a very nice ride and can handle the snow and ice with no problems.
william harris
Today is the first time that I had a chance to actually shammy off the water after washing the teener. Ought to look really good tomorrow.
william harris
New England weather takes some getting used to. Getting very cool and it is pitch black by 6:30 and wait until daylight savings time ends - in a couple of weeks it will be dark by 4:30 dry.gif
william harris
There's the wife's mini-van in the background. If you start it up it automatically goes to Starbucks biggrin.gif
william harris
The Boxster S is a great car, but not a visceral as the 914. Somehow the 914 is more a pure driver's car.
william harris
However, the cabin is a very comfortable place to travel. driving.gif
william harris
This is my third Boxster and the S is definitely worth the extra $$$. I love the sport seats. Of course all the extras add up really quick. rolleyes.gif
william harris
My wife just informed me that since I spent the entire day "playing with my car" I had better get off the computer and take her and the kids out for dinner. Outback Steakhouse - and a few cool beer.gif seems like the way to end this day. Bleyseng, I will post better pics tomorrow. thumb3d.gif
JPB
This sweet ride has become a work of art sir. Very nice balanced look with the sail panel vinyl, chrome pieces, and 2L rims.

smilie_pokal.gif Way to go champ.
elocke
Bill, it looks incredible! I saw it a month or 2 ago at Autobahns while I was getting tires mounted to my new rims. I go for alot of spontaneous rides...I'll contact you, or come by anytime you want.
Ed
william harris
That sounds like a plan. You have my home phone number, or just stop by anytime during the weekend. I'm getting ready to cruise around this afternoon.
william harris
Decided to take some shots that are a little more interesting than the car in my driveway. Drove up the coast, Route 127 from Good Harbor beach in Gloucester, down thru Magnolia and on to the Beverly Farms. Here we are on the beach in Gloucester. beerchug.gif
william harris
You might notice how much better the headlight on the driver's side is lined up now - thanks to Eric Sanders. The surf was really pounding at Bass Rocks today. Here's the beach at Gloucester, a beautiful afternoon.
william harris
I almost made 600 miles since we fired up the rebuilt motor this weekend, had to give up the afternoon to enjoying the Patriots beat the Dolphins. clap56.gif
william harris
I wanted to take pictures at Bass Rocks, but there is no place to park there. So I turned around and headed down to Magnolia. Here the street runs right along the coast, but again no parking. So I turned onto Lexington Avenue in Magnolia and took a few shots looking back at the ocean.
william harris
As you can see, Fall is well advanced here in New England. Already dropping down into the 40s and we will see the 30s before long. The 2.0 seemed to enjoy the crisp cool air.
william harris
After a few more shots in Magnolia, I turned south again and cruised thru Manchester By The Sea and into Beverly Farms.
william harris
Ran right into some big bicycle race and had to dodge bikers for the next 10 miles. Here we are in Beverly Farms, the Gold Coast and former retreat of U.S. Presidents in the 1800's.
william harris
Even though this would have been a perfect weekend to enjoy the motorcycle, the BMW sat idle as I put the teener thru the paces. I am still getting used to the shift pattern, a hard habit to break and relearn after driving the Boxster S for all these years while the project was underway. driving.gif
william harris
Monday the teener goes back into the body shop to fix the dent some cretin left in the trunk lid. So, I will have to drive or ride the bike until she is fixed up. I have to get as much driving in as possible before the salt hits the roads and the long, long winter sets in. I am dreaming of moving to San Diego soon! idea.gif
william harris
Bleyseng: hope you enjoyed these pictures, wanted to be a little more creative and interesting than the still shots at home. I will pack up and mail the MPS to you for a rebuild this week. I expect your custom tuned version to be at least a modest improvement over the stock unit. thumb3d.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.