Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do we beat TomP at Parade 07 ?
grantsfo
post Oct 8 2006, 10:03 PM
Post #41

Arrrrhhhh!

Group: Members
Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Oct 8 2006, 08:05 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 8 2006, 07:12 PM) *

Actually I find it easier than it seems most of the time. I'm always overwhelmed when I see all those cones. When I get out and start driving I somehow put everything together.

Andrew B has actually beaten Tom P' times on actual AX courses in Nor Cal. The Parade event was more like a short road course! So 200 HP would likely even playing field for posuer cross on a road course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

But come on JP, AX rates up there with amature bowling if you take it too seriously. Why anyone would want to build a PCA Parade winning car is sort of pointless to me. Yeah you can do it, but why?

Look at the first 3 runs. IIRC, Provasi had everybody by 2 sec.

As for finding it easy. It is....right till ya get up into the top end of the field. If you can get within .5 sec of Andrew or Steve, then come back & tell me how easy it is.
Then go to a National Tour event & do it in 3 runs.

Serious? The guy that bought the Wayne Baker car ...Mistak(sp?)... laid out a Parade course on his own dime ...SD Parade I think, set up his trans for a top speed of over 130 mph and appropioate gears below and still didn't win. He took out the 4 & dropped in a 3.6L. I think that is what John is talking about.

Top tier SCCA guys are as serious as a heart attack.... that's why they are top tier. Top line Pro Solo make gud money at it.

Why?....why not?....you got sumthin' better to do? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Amature bowling is tough to break into top ranks too! But Pro Tour bowlers make more than Pro Solo drivers. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DanT
post Oct 8 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #42

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE(Chris Hamilton @ Oct 8 2006, 08:37 PM) *

We may head down if we have the time, and if we are allowed the nitrous bottle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Are you running the nitrous again?
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 8 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #43

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Oct 8 2006, 07:42 PM) *

Top line Pro Solo make gud money at it.

really? last time i looked, it seemed that at best they would break even on their travel costs and get a set of tires.

Most folks can do okay if they win here and there. A few though, can do very well on the Solo Tour. Go back a number of years, and look at Mark Daddio... He more than paid for the car he won with, in one year....

And now look at the winnings he got from the Revitup tour...

No, not everyone can clean up like that, but it _can_ happen.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 8 2006, 10:18 PM
Post #44

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

We may head down if we have the time, and if we are allowed the nitrous bottle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yes but only if you talk nice to Dave Hunt and only if you need dental work... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
DanT
post Oct 8 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #45

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

they could ask me for some but I doubt I would be inclined.
Nitrous in a Porsche just doesn't seem quite right, somehow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Oct 9 2006, 08:02 AM
Post #46

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Oct 8 2006, 09:18 PM) *

Yes but only if you talk nice to Dave Hunt and only if you need dental work... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I haven't been able to figure out how to get the face mask over the throttle body. You must have some ideas Rob.

Dave
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Oct 9 2006, 08:24 AM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

Brad you should address driver/control issues. Making a 914 shift faster and making the driver more comfortable in the cockpit can go a long way towards making a car super fast. If your driver can climb in and think about nothing else but driving, not how the seat isn't straight, or the pedals to far away, etc, you can be faster than the competition.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 9 2006, 10:42 AM
Post #48

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 9 2006, 10:24 AM) *

Brad you should address driver/control issues. Making a 914 shift faster and making the driver more comfortable in the cockpit can go a long way towards making a car super fast. If your driver can climb in and think about nothing else but driving, not how the seat isn't straight, or the pedals to far away, etc, you can be faster than the competition.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Shifting still bugs me at times. 2 -3 is easy, but if you have to goto 4th which seems to happen at Corvette and PCA events at least once. In the heat of battle I have blow a shift. Which ruins a good run fast.

But Brad that could be solved with a DSG style tranny, or a tip. I would love a sequental. Clutch off the line and tap up and down for the rest. 914 shifter cart!!!!
+Quote Post
URY914
post Oct 9 2006, 11:09 AM
Post #49

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

I lose time with my 1st to 2nd shift. I have to "place" it 2nd not shift it into 2nd. One day I'm going to start in 2nd to see what happens.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 9 2006, 11:31 AM
Post #50

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(URY914 @ Oct 9 2006, 01:09 PM) *

One day I'm going to start in 2nd to see what happens.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) Lets See Engine Torque / minimal weight = second gear Should be the 914 law of relativity. I launch with second gear on my Jetta at the auto-x
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #51

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I have no problems with 3 runs. I grew up with 3 runs. The only time you need "more" runs is if the course is 1.3 miles long.. SD REGION PCA...LOL

Grant,

I need to do something with the car. If the car (we know it requires driver also) wins Parade.. I have a better chance of selling it later on.

You would be amazed at how little is in SteveN's 914 when it comes to suspension/setup. Dont forget: this is one of the old Reitmer's cars that Steve bought and cleaned up. It used to be white. I spent a lot of time under/around it. It is VERY old school. Had I stayed up north we would have updated some of the suspension goodies. He is on custom hand cut bushings and the such.. he could be even faster...

B
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 9 2006, 01:33 PM
Post #52

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 9 2006, 09:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Brett W @ Oct 9 2006, 10:24 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Shifting still bugs me at times. 2 -3 is easy, but if you have to goto 4th which seems to happen at Corvette and PCA events at least once. In the heat of battle I have blow a shift. Which ruins a good run fast.

But Brad that could be solved with a DSG style tranny, or a tip. I would love a sequental. Clutch off the line and tap up and down for the rest. 914 shifter cart!!!!

I agree too. The difference between my wife's new Mazda MX-5 and 914 is like night and day in AX events. I dont even have to worry about shifting the MX-5 it just happens. I have developed a bad habit of shifting early in the 914 just to make sure I'm in gear when I need power. Two big things I would change for AX 914 - easier shifting and power steering. While I'm certainly strong enouugh to turn the 914 too much effort has to be applied in some tough corners and transitions.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 9 2006, 01:56 PM
Post #53

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 10:44 AM) *

Grant,

I need to do something with the car. If the car (we know it requires driver also) wins Parade.. I have a better chance of selling it later on.

You would be amazed at how little is in SteveN's 914 when it comes to suspension/setup. Dont forget: this is one of the old Reitmer's cars that Steve bought and cleaned up. It used to be white. I spent a lot of time under/around it. It is VERY old school. Had I stayed up north we would have updated some of the suspension goodies. He is on custom hand cut bushings and the such.. he could be even faster...

B

I haven't seen too many sophisticated dedicated 914 AX cars in all my years of being around them. Dwight Mitchell's very successful AX car was fairly straight forward too. The basic components I have always seen as being effective are good focus on weight reduction, short gears, LSD, responsive high out put T4, sticky race slicks, well buttoned down suspension.

I'd say Randals car is likely going to be a contender if the motor puts out anything over 160 HP. I dont think his car is overly sophisticated either. And then there is Smurf! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If Steve's car has has one major issue it has been power. That engine has always sounded sick to me at upper RPM range. Dont get me wrong its a fast car, but if youre going against a 3.8 liter dragster on an open course that coughing and wheezing T4 engine of his isnt going to overcome the huge power gap regardless of his stellar driving.

If you want your car to win Parade go hire a real good SCCA driver and let them drive the car a season. probably cheaper than spending a bunch on sophisticated stuff. Actually get Nathan to drive the car when he isnt driving the wheels off of shifter karts.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 9 2006, 02:20 PM
Post #54

Apex killer!

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Oct 9 2006, 07:02 AM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Oct 8 2006, 09:18 PM) *

I haven't been able to figure out how to get the face mask over the throttle body. You must have some ideas Rob.

Dave

My face masks are better than yours... I think they would cover a TB! Yours only cover the nose. I remember during some dental work having my dentist pull the headphones off and ask me how I was. I said "fine... How are you?" I was so happy. Both he and the hygienist about rolled on the floor. Hard to believe such a happy gas can make a car so angry...
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 9 2006, 02:25 PM
Post #55

Apex killer!

I have no problems with 3 runs. I grew up with 3 runs. The only time you need "more" runs is if the course is 1.3 miles long.. SD REGION PCA...LOL

Grant,

B

First time I ever saw Brad he was under Steves car at Stockton with strings setting up the suspension. I thought he was Steve until he said "no... I'm not Steve". Scary to think he could be even faster.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 9 2006, 02:28 PM
Post #56

Apex killer!

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 9 2006, 12:56 PM) *

Grant,

B

I haven't seen too many sophisticated dedicated 914 AX cars in all my years of being around them. Dwight Mitchell's very successful AX car was fairly straight forward too. The basic components I have always seen as being effective are good focus on weight reduction, short gears, LSD, responsive high out put T4, sticky race slicks, well buttoned down suspension.

I'd say Randals car is likely going to be a contender if the motor puts out anything over 160 HP. I dont think his car is overly sophisticated either. And then there is Smurf! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If Steve's car has has one major issue it has been power. That engine has always sounded sick to me at upper RPM range. Dont get me wrong its a fast car, but if youre going against a 3.8 liter dragster on an open course that coughing and wheezing T4 engine of his isnt going to overcome the huge power gap regardless of his stellar driving.

If you want your car to win Parade go hire a real good SCCA driver and let them drive the car a season. probably cheaper than spending a bunch on sophisticated stuff. Actually get Nathan to drive the car when he isnt driving the wheels off of shifter karts.

Grant, I think Steve has taken care of that problem at high RPM. I recall that too but something has changed this year and the car is evil fast now.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 03:01 PM
Post #57

914 Freak!

One of the last times I touched SteveN's car it had the coil wires being sucked into the fan..lol We secured them that day, but it doesnt mean it didnt cause an ignition issue that continued afterwards.

Great thread everyone.

Thank you for your time.

I'm going to start yanking the suspension out and getting it ready. I'll also measure for the tubing I need for the alum floors.

FYI: on gearing.. I'll be using a 9146 input shaft with the taller second gear. You can "and I highly suggest" launching the cars in second with the H pattern ready to go.

Damn.. what about a true 901 4 speed box with proper gears?? Ring gear flipped for mid-engine use?

B
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 9 2006, 06:38 PM
Post #58

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 02:01 PM) *

One of the last times I touched SteveN's car it had the coil wires being sucked into the fan..lol We secured them that day, but it doesnt mean it didnt cause an ignition issue that continued afterwards.

Great thread everyone.

Thank you for your time.

I'm going to start yanking the suspension out and getting it ready. I'll also measure for the tubing I need for the alum floors.

FYI: on gearing.. I'll be using a 9146 input shaft with the taller second gear. You can "and I highly suggest" launching the cars in second with the H pattern ready to go.

Damn.. what about a true 901 4 speed box with proper gears?? Ring gear flipped for mid-engine use?

B
I use a 'B' first gear (a C would be better). Very useful for the tight sections near the starts we often have....good to around 43/44 mph @7100.
2nd gear launches are too hard on the clutch, but feel free (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ....I use a GA 2nd (63/64 @ 7100).A good launch can get you a tenth or 2.

Since you seem to have all the answers, I'll not intrude on some of your other good ideas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #59

914 Freak!

Yeah.. I hear you OLD MAN.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flipa.gif)

I am NOT an AutoX fan.. but I do think I can build a better car!!! ..lol

B
+Quote Post
Chris Hamilton
post Oct 9 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #60

Member No.: 5,687

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 8 2006, 09:05 PM) *

Are you running the nitrous again?

No, it is still not allowed by the rules. We have a very nice wet shot nitrous system ready to use which will give us another 30-40% more power, but it is specifically banned. We've been told we have to run in "fun" if we want to use nitrous. The same class people with subaru motors and people driving S2000s run in.

The system we have is perfectly safe for the car ( as well as people around/in it ), and we feel it's only fair that we get to use it when we're running against people with double our displacement and turbos to boot.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 06:25 AM