Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Does your company pay for your education?
Dominic
post Oct 7 2006, 03:17 PM
Post #21

Dominic

Group: Members
Member No.: 149
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Oct 6 2006, 12:08 PM) *

Just curious if your company helps pay for your continuing education and also how they go about this.

Of course they do....Go down to your local Air Force recruiter and they will tell you all about it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Oct 8 2006, 07:03 PM
Post #22

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I can take up to 6 graduate credits a year, and work picks it up 100%.

Of course, I work for a college...

Zach
+Quote Post
MBowman325
post Oct 8 2006, 07:48 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 4,413
Region Association: Southwest Region

Man, I can't even get mgmt to pay my mileage from when I had to goto Hurst both times. Or spend my board approved budget. Took three weeks to get approval to buy $78 worth of "tape transport cases"... Hell, I tried to re-arrange my budget, drop off a $29k Citrix server (that they admitt they don't plan on letting my buy this year anyways) and buy a $3,000K test bed for Citrix alternatives, internal vulnrability scans, and testing a push e-mail system for cell phones. Too much financial risk... It's not like we're gonna make much under 2 mil this year.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif)

It did take three years, but they agreed to reimburse me for any certification I take and pass.... I don't make enough to buy books and take the tests though.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
I was working on my MBA when I started, but between working late and the school moving class times around, I only finished six hours...

Anybody wanna buy a '96 Impala?

Hmmm... This one job in DFW looks mighty fine right about now..
+Quote Post
MattR
post Oct 9 2006, 02:19 AM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

My last employer said full time employees can get paid to go to conferences and get accredited in some things. For instance, if I wanted to learn German, the company would have paid for it. Or if I wanted to take a class in machining, I could have gotten it paid for. Even motorsports conferences (Claude Roulle, etc.) would have been paid for if I was a full time employee.

Many universities will pay you to get your masters and phd. I know at UCI, if you are interested in grad school, you can get paid up to 30k a year to work for the university. You get paid for the work as a TA and in the labs on top of taking classes. I know thats true in the physical sciences and engineering at some schools, but I dont know about an MBA or law.
+Quote Post
butch
post Oct 9 2006, 04:40 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 415

the wife's company paid 100% for law school, gave her four hours off per week to study, gave her a bonus when she finished, then laid her off.

She's not an engineer anymore.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 7 2021, 11:55 AM
Post #26

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

WOW! 15 year old zombie thread.....

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/memegenerator.net-1143-1633629305.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Oct 7 2021, 12:21 PM
Post #27

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

In my former career, my employer had a continuing education incentive of $2,500 a year towards books/tuition and I could take 4 hours per week of paid time off for schooling. Now that was 30 years ago when $2,500 went a long way for tuition and books. I took advantage of it for 10 years, attending real brick and mortar universities earning my under-graduate, graduate and post-graduate degrees while working full-time. Well worth it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 7 2021, 12:34 PM
Post #28

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

My wife’s job paid for her RN degree, masters and then specialized practice accreditations. Her current job pays for anything she wants that will help her do her job along with housing and other stuff.

Whether or not your employer pays for your education, it’s always a good investment.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Tdskip
post Oct 7 2021, 12:39 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 21,666
Region Association: None

There are a number of us here that work for big technology companies and the answer to your question is yes, not perhaps as extensively as before but ob-going education in pursuit of advanced degrees is generally both supported and subsidized. Oracle helped with my MBA tuition.
+Quote Post
infraredcalvin
post Oct 7 2021, 11:02 PM
Post #30

Distracted Member

Member No.: 9,463
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2021, 11:34 AM) *

Whether or not your employer pays for your education, it’s always a good investment.

Did you even watch that Millennial video in the sandbox? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
914xr75
post Oct 8 2021, 08:12 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 21,996
Region Association: Southern California

I work for an industrial supply distributor. If you want a bachelor's or a master's from any school you can get into they will pay for it 100%. If you can get into USC they'll pay for it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Oct 8 2021, 08:25 AM
Post #32

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825

QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Oct 8 2021, 01:02 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2021, 11:34 AM) *

Did you even watch that Millennial video in the sandbox? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Yes. It’s Hilarious. Luckily, my kids and all their friends act the opposite. They are all hardworking and responsible young adults.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 05:54 AM