Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Does your company pay for your education?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turboman808
Just curious if your company helps pay for your continuing education and also how they go about this.

Mike D.
One Better... The state of California paid for my continued education...
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Oct 6 2006, 12:30 PM) *

prison has its perks eh?

university of san quentin
Allan
Ayup. I take a few courses a year and the boss picks up the tab.
zen motorcycle
As long as I can show that it is work related and I pass it goes on the company tab
byndbad914
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Oct 6 2006, 12:08 PM) *

Just curious if your company helps pay for your continuing education and also how they go about this.
depends on the degree with my company. for instance, an engineer can get reimbursed up to $X dollars (I forget the amount, but in the $8K range) for a higher degree in engineering (MS or PhD). but for law degree, no (tho' a competing company will!). You pay upfront, get your grade (B or higher) and they reimburse you for the classes you got B or higher up to the cap.

The way it works here (and typically) is you sign an agreement that says if they reimburse you, you have to work for 12mo. after the degree is awarded (sometimes 2yrs, but 1-2yrs is typical) or you have to pay back the reimbursement in full. So, if you get a degree and then proceed to quit to make more $$ elsewhere, you have to pay back every dime. If you don't, they can (and my company WILL) go after you in court to get the money back.

Easy-peasy and pretty fair IMO.

I got reimbursed for my MBA education up to the cap (only about 1/3 of the total cost tho'). I just finished last Dec and heard they upped the cap to $20K for MBAs around June!!!! Assholes!! That would have almost completely covered by costs, so I am rather ticked.
Gary#
smile.gif Yep. They not only pay 100% - including textbooks/class materials,
they can get downright cranky if you don't keep taking a few classes every year.
I like my job so I can't complain too loud - flag.gif
Currently converting passenger MD-10's & 11's into freighters for ups, fedex, etc.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/
Joe Bob
On occasion....they get bent when the class yo take that they paid for allows you to get a better job someplace else....go figure.....
Brad Roberts
They pay for it, but if I leave the company before serving out 12months after the class.. then I pay for the class. It is not pro-rated.

We are a ProMetric testing center and I have access to ALL computer related study guides.

B
JPB
The boss says,"you need to take a surveying class so look for a local college so you can start ASAP!"

One month later he asks,"so are we reembursing you for your class?"
Then I said,"don't worry about it boss, I just put it all on the company credit card including the books!"

I had suggested this college gig three months prior due to the possible future need of it on these $100Million+ jobs we are getting.

beer.gif I takes care of me bro and inversly you takes care of youins!!
Spoke
Don't know my company's current education policy although they seem to follow the Government's rulings on tax-exempt expenditures. If an education program is tax-exempt, they offer it.

Luckily I got my MSEE paid for in its entirety including books through the company. Of course I graduated in 1988 so things have sure changed since then.

Here's a couple of Bell Telephone Laboratories education programs that have gone by the wayside (along with BTL):

OYOC:
One Year On Campus: Graduate with your BSEE or BSME, get hired in June, work until September, then go to a university for a year to get your Masters degree. USC and Georgia Tech were popular schools. Get reduced salary and all expenses for school paid for including several trips back home.

LUPT:
Local University Part Time: This is what I did for my MSEE. Work and go to school part time at a local university. Local to me was Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA. Got up to 3 days a week off of work to attend classes.

Spoke
JPB
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 6 2006, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Oct 6 2006, 12:30 PM) *

prison has its perks eh?

university of san quentin

av-943.gif Ia beconing da loyas man.
spare time toys
We have paid training. Its done here in Dallas at the Maint. Training center. If you are from out of town they pay your regular hours, travel, hotel, and give you $35 per day to eat on. If you are a local guy you buy your own food and drive yourself to training mad.gif But you still get paid.
wbergtho
Well...let's see...where do I begin? First off, my company has fired 20% of it's employees and filed bankruptcy last year...chopping all it's employee's pay anywhere between 20-50%., degraded our once decent health insurance to a catastrophic plan with a $400 deductable, froze our pensions for 5 years...(pensions will be eliminated no doubt), and overall... brought our compensation package backwards to what I made when Madonna recorded her first album. barf.gif finger.gif So to answer your question, my POS company won't be paying for continuing education any day soon. (I am on a leave of absense...and really don't have any plans to go back...guess who I worked for?) sad.gif
TimT
Yes my company pays, You just need to maintain a better than B average to get full reimbursement, C average gets you 75% etc.

Also you have to get approval prior to taking a class, and it must be a class that has to do with engineering.

To my knowledge no one has ever been denied this perk.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 6 2006, 03:01 PM) *

The boss says,"you need to take a surveying class so look for a local college so you can start ASAP!"

One month later he asks,"so are we reembursing you for your class?"
Then I said,"don't worry about it boss, I just put it all on the company credit card including the books!"

I had suggested this college gig three months prior due to the possible future need of it on these $100Million+ jobs we are getting.

beer.gif I takes care of me bro and inversly you takes care of youins!!

land surveying? a reaaaally fun subject. just finished up my classes.... i am leaning toward the surveying/geospatial minor for civil engineering...
Sammy
Yup, if I go to an accreditted school and take a class that is either relevant to my job or part of a degree program and pass with a C or better, they pay 100% of all costs.
marks914
Yes indeed,

Paid for my 2nd BFA (4200/yr max, I had to pick up the rest) and then gave ma a promotion.

Mark
JPB
land surveying? a reaaaally fun subject. just finished up my classes.... i am leaning toward the surveying/geospatial minor for civil engineering...
[/quote]

Civ kicks ass and so many job ops after graduating!! Good choice bro and I also enjoy my surveying class. I already know how to do it but this gets me one step passed the norm of whats out the as far as how much the field people really know about the trade. Most surveyors are just going through the moves and don't have an in depth knowledge of what they are doing. They just give the data to the engineer in house who makes the real money. In a few years, all this will be GPS based and field people will be eliminated to a select few.

beer.gif Education rocks!!!
Aaron Cox
[quote name='JPB' date='Oct 7 2006, 08:32 AM' post='789595']
[/quote]

Civ kicks ass and so many job ops after graduating!! Good choice bro and I also enjoy my surveying class. I already know how to do it but this gets me one step passed the norm of whats out the as far as how much the field people really know about the trade. Most surveyors are just going through the moves and don't have an in depth knowledge of what they are doing. They just give the data to the engineer in house who makes the real money. In a few years, all this will be GPS based and field people will be eliminated to a select few.

beer.gif Education rocks!!!
[/quote]

yep.. we are already using GPS based trimble units smile.gif
Dominic
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Oct 6 2006, 12:08 PM) *

Of course they do....Go down to your local Air Force recruiter and they will tell you all about it. biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
I can take up to 6 graduate credits a year, and work picks it up 100%.

Of course, I work for a college...

Zach
MBowman325
Man, I can't even get mgmt to pay my mileage from when I had to goto Hurst both times. Or spend my board approved budget. Took three weeks to get approval to buy $78 worth of "tape transport cases"... Hell, I tried to re-arrange my budget, drop off a $29k Citrix server (that they admitt they don't plan on letting my buy this year anyways) and buy a $3,000K test bed for Citrix alternatives, internal vulnrability scans, and testing a push e-mail system for cell phones. Too much financial risk... It's not like we're gonna make much under 2 mil this year.... sheeplove.gif

It did take three years, but they agreed to reimburse me for any certification I take and pass.... I don't make enough to buy books and take the tests though.... huh.gif
I was working on my MBA when I started, but between working late and the school moving class times around, I only finished six hours...

Anybody wanna buy a '96 Impala?

Hmmm... This one job in DFW looks mighty fine right about now..
MattR
My last employer said full time employees can get paid to go to conferences and get accredited in some things. For instance, if I wanted to learn German, the company would have paid for it. Or if I wanted to take a class in machining, I could have gotten it paid for. Even motorsports conferences (Claude Roulle, etc.) would have been paid for if I was a full time employee.

Many universities will pay you to get your masters and phd. I know at UCI, if you are interested in grad school, you can get paid up to 30k a year to work for the university. You get paid for the work as a TA and in the labs on top of taking classes. I know thats true in the physical sciences and engineering at some schools, but I dont know about an MBA or law.
butch
the wife's company paid 100% for law school, gave her four hours off per week to study, gave her a bonus when she finished, then laid her off.

She's not an engineer anymore.
ClayPerrine
WOW! 15 year old zombie thread.....

IPB Image
Cairo94507
In my former career, my employer had a continuing education incentive of $2,500 a year towards books/tuition and I could take 4 hours per week of paid time off for schooling. Now that was 30 years ago when $2,500 went a long way for tuition and books. I took advantage of it for 10 years, attending real brick and mortar universities earning my under-graduate, graduate and post-graduate degrees while working full-time. Well worth it. beerchug.gif
mepstein
My wife’s job paid for her RN degree, masters and then specialized practice accreditations. Her current job pays for anything she wants that will help her do her job along with housing and other stuff.

Whether or not your employer pays for your education, it’s always a good investment.
Tdskip
There are a number of us here that work for big technology companies and the answer to your question is yes, not perhaps as extensively as before but ob-going education in pursuit of advanced degrees is generally both supported and subsidized. Oracle helped with my MBA tuition.
infraredcalvin
QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2021, 11:34 AM) *

Whether or not your employer pays for your education, it’s always a good investment.

Did you even watch that Millennial video in the sandbox? lol-2.gif
914xr75
I work for an industrial supply distributor. If you want a bachelor's or a master's from any school you can get into they will pay for it 100%. If you can get into USC they'll pay for it.
mepstein
QUOTE(infraredcalvin @ Oct 8 2021, 01:02 AM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 7 2021, 11:34 AM) *

Did you even watch that Millennial video in the sandbox? lol-2.gif

Yes. It’s Hilarious. Luckily, my kids and all their friends act the opposite. They are all hardworking and responsible young adults.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.