Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OT: Does your company pay for your education?
turboman808
post Oct 6 2006, 01:08 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Just curious if your company helps pay for your continuing education and also how they go about this.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Oct 6 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #2

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85
Region Association: None

One Better... The state of California paid for my continued education...
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 6 2006, 01:58 PM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Oct 6 2006, 12:30 PM) *

prison has its perks eh?

university of san quentin
+Quote Post
Allan
post Oct 6 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #4

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304

Ayup. I take a few courses a year and the boss picks up the tab.
+Quote Post
zen motorcycle
post Oct 6 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #5

almost not a newbie ( way less than a newbie)

Member No.: 6,038

As long as I can show that it is work related and I pass it goes on the company tab
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Oct 6 2006, 03:00 PM
Post #6

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE(turboman808 @ Oct 6 2006, 12:08 PM) *

Just curious if your company helps pay for your continuing education and also how they go about this.
depends on the degree with my company. for instance, an engineer can get reimbursed up to $X dollars (I forget the amount, but in the $8K range) for a higher degree in engineering (MS or PhD). but for law degree, no (tho' a competing company will!). You pay upfront, get your grade (B or higher) and they reimburse you for the classes you got B or higher up to the cap.

The way it works here (and typically) is you sign an agreement that says if they reimburse you, you have to work for 12mo. after the degree is awarded (sometimes 2yrs, but 1-2yrs is typical) or you have to pay back the reimbursement in full. So, if you get a degree and then proceed to quit to make more $$ elsewhere, you have to pay back every dime. If you don't, they can (and my company WILL) go after you in court to get the money back.

Easy-peasy and pretty fair IMO.

I got reimbursed for my MBA education up to the cap (only about 1/3 of the total cost tho'). I just finished last Dec and heard they upped the cap to $20K for MBAs around June!!!! Assholes!! That would have almost completely covered by costs, so I am rather ticked.
+Quote Post
Gary#
post Oct 6 2006, 03:02 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 4,078

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Yep. They not only pay 100% - including textbooks/class materials,
they can get downright cranky if you don't keep taking a few classes every year.
I like my job so I can't complain too loud - (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
Currently converting passenger MD-10's & 11's into freighters for ups, fedex, etc.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Oct 6 2006, 03:13 PM
Post #8

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

On occasion....they get bent when the class yo take that they paid for allows you to get a better job someplace else....go figure.....
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 6 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

They pay for it, but if I leave the company before serving out 12months after the class.. then I pay for the class. It is not pro-rated.

We are a ProMetric testing center and I have access to ALL computer related study guides.

B
+Quote Post
JPB
post Oct 6 2006, 04:01 PM
Post #10

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

The boss says,"you need to take a surveying class so look for a local college so you can start ASAP!"

One month later he asks,"so are we reembursing you for your class?"
Then I said,"don't worry about it boss, I just put it all on the company credit card including the books!"

I had suggested this college gig three months prior due to the possible future need of it on these $100Million+ jobs we are getting.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) I takes care of me bro and inversly you takes care of youins!!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Oct 6 2006, 05:19 PM
Post #11

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

Don't know my company's current education policy although they seem to follow the Government's rulings on tax-exempt expenditures. If an education program is tax-exempt, they offer it.

Luckily I got my MSEE paid for in its entirety including books through the company. Of course I graduated in 1988 so things have sure changed since then.

Here's a couple of Bell Telephone Laboratories education programs that have gone by the wayside (along with BTL):

OYOC:
One Year On Campus: Graduate with your BSEE or BSME, get hired in June, work until September, then go to a university for a year to get your Masters degree. USC and Georgia Tech were popular schools. Get reduced salary and all expenses for school paid for including several trips back home.

LUPT:
Local University Part Time: This is what I did for my MSEE. Work and go to school part time at a local university. Local to me was Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA. Got up to 3 days a week off of work to attend classes.

Spoke
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
JPB
post Oct 6 2006, 05:31 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Oct 6 2006, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Oct 6 2006, 12:30 PM) *

prison has its perks eh?

university of san quentin

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) Ia beconing da loyas man.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post Oct 6 2006, 06:10 PM
Post #13

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

We have paid training. Its done here in Dallas at the Maint. Training center. If you are from out of town they pay your regular hours, travel, hotel, and give you $35 per day to eat on. If you are a local guy you buy your own food and drive yourself to training (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) But you still get paid.
+Quote Post
wbergtho
post Oct 6 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 623

Well...let's see...where do I begin? First off, my company has fired 20% of it's employees and filed bankruptcy last year...chopping all it's employee's pay anywhere between 20-50%., degraded our once decent health insurance to a catastrophic plan with a $400 deductable, froze our pensions for 5 years...(pensions will be eliminated no doubt), and overall... brought our compensation package backwards to what I made when Madonna recorded her first album. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) So to answer your question, my POS company won't be paying for continuing education any day soon. (I am on a leave of absense...and really don't have any plans to go back...guess who I worked for?) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Oct 6 2006, 08:40 PM
Post #15

retired

Member No.: 313

Yes my company pays, You just need to maintain a better than B average to get full reimbursement, C average gets you 75% etc.

Also you have to get approval prior to taking a class, and it must be a class that has to do with engineering.

To my knowledge no one has ever been denied this perk.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 6 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #16

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE(JPB @ Oct 6 2006, 03:01 PM) *

The boss says,"you need to take a surveying class so look for a local college so you can start ASAP!"

One month later he asks,"so are we reembursing you for your class?"
Then I said,"don't worry about it boss, I just put it all on the company credit card including the books!"

I had suggested this college gig three months prior due to the possible future need of it on these $100Million+ jobs we are getting.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) I takes care of me bro and inversly you takes care of youins!!

land surveying? a reaaaally fun subject. just finished up my classes.... i am leaning toward the surveying/geospatial minor for civil engineering...
+Quote Post
Sammy
post Oct 6 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 178

Yup, if I go to an accreditted school and take a class that is either relevant to my job or part of a degree program and pass with a C or better, they pay 100% of all costs.
+Quote Post
marks914
post Oct 7 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,912

Yes indeed,

Paid for my 2nd BFA (4200/yr max, I had to pick up the rest) and then gave ma a promotion.

Mark
+Quote Post
JPB
post Oct 7 2006, 09:32 AM
Post #19

land surveying? a reaaaally fun subject. just finished up my classes.... i am leaning toward the surveying/geospatial minor for civil engineering...
[/quote]

Civ kicks ass and so many job ops after graduating!! Good choice bro and I also enjoy my surveying class. I already know how to do it but this gets me one step passed the norm of whats out the as far as how much the field people really know about the trade. Most surveyors are just going through the moves and don't have an in depth knowledge of what they are doing. They just give the data to the engineer in house who makes the real money. In a few years, all this will be GPS based and field people will be eliminated to a select few.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Education rocks!!!
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Oct 7 2006, 09:45 AM
Post #20

Professional Lawn Dart

[quote name='JPB' date='Oct 7 2006, 08:32 AM' post='789595']
[/quote]

Civ kicks ass and so many job ops after graduating!! Good choice bro and I also enjoy my surveying class. I already know how to do it but this gets me one step passed the norm of whats out the as far as how much the field people really know about the trade. Most surveyors are just going through the moves and don't have an in depth knowledge of what they are doing. They just give the data to the engineer in house who makes the real money. In a few years, all this will be GPS based and field people will be eliminated to a select few.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Education rocks!!!
[/quote]

yep.. we are already using GPS based trimble units (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th May 2024 - 10:02 PM