Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spec Boxster Donor Car, Pics of BPR's latest addition to the stable
nine14cats
post Oct 9 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #21

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 9 2006, 02:13 PM) *

Bill,
How is the "build" team coming? Actually more like the "R&R" team (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)

Build team is confirmed for October 21st / 22nd:

Bill P.
Randal
Brad
SirAndy
McMark
Dan

Outline of activities:

Fri Oct 20th - Boxster has windshield removed
Sat Oct 21st - R&R shocks, springs, brake discs, pads, fr and rr swaybars
Sun Oct 22nd - Gut entire car of everything not needed (upholstery, seats, etc.)
Mon Oct 23rd - Drop car at TonyC for custom cage install
Thu Oct 26th - Pick up car from TonyC
Fri Oct 27th - AM = reinstall windshield, PM = alignment and corner balance
Sat Oct 28th - GGR AX#9
Sun Nov 12th - Track test day @ Sears

I'll be sending out PM's and e-mail's to the build team once I have confirmation of Brad's flight. It should be sometime tonight or tomorrow at latest.

Thanks!

Bill P.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 9 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #22

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 02:26 PM) *

My flight is booked..LOL

Install B&M short shifter

Um.. you might want to send that back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

NO factory race car comes with it.. and many many Boxster shops will tell you that it causes premature wear on the tranny.

You know momentum cars. That short shift doesnt help in any form or fashion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I used two gears at Buttonwillow... 3rd+4th..lol

NOW.. a longer stick would be better!!

Are we doing the steering wheel and quick release?

B

Ok...so I have confirmation.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Hmmm....I like the feel of a shorty.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) oops another story there...

I forgot about a quick release...yep, we should do that too....I think TonyC is making one for the Boxster/996 cars. And so does Sparco.

And I do want to bolt in the seats and rails. Sheeeet....more ordering to do.

If we have one guy at each corner, how long to swap out suspension?

How long to gut the car?

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #23

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I bought the Sparco complete package for the Boxster remavble wheel. Sparco has a perfect knock-off of the GT3Cup steering wheel. It is deep dish with the yellow stripe.

My thoughts:

The rear suspension requires removal of certain pieces of interior. I suggest we start on the interior Friday night when I arrive and get out the important/in the way pieces. I honestly beleive that we will see 90% of this done Sat. depending on what how hard you want to work Sat.

Yes. At least one seat needs to be in it for the cage. The stockers wont cut it. Make sure you order the adjuster rails also and not just the seat mounts. The sliders bolt onto the stock chassis location, and the side mounts bolt to the Sparco/MOMO sliders.

It will take about 3 hours on all the interior. The heater core and AC will take the longest. It takes 30min to pull the AC compressor and install the new NON-AC belt (did you order it? I have one if need be) It takes 20-30 to pull the front bumper (may want to do this later)

B

+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 9 2006, 04:40 PM
Post #24

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 03:33 PM) *

I bought the Sparco complete package for the Boxster remavble wheel. Sparco has a perfect knock-off of the GT3Cup steering wheel. It is deep dish with the yellow stripe.

My thoughts:

The rear suspension requires removal of certain pieces of interior. I suggest we start on the interior Friday night when I arrive and get out the important/in the way pieces. I honestly beleive that we will see 90% of this done Sat. depending on what how hard you want to work Sat.

Yes. At least one seat needs to be in it for the cage. The stockers wont cut it. Make sure you order the adjuster rails also and not just the seat mounts. The sliders bolt onto the stock chassis location, and the side mounts bolt to the Sparco/MOMO sliders.

It will take about 3 hours on all the interior. The heater core and AC will take the longest. It takes 30min to pull the AC compressor and install the new NON-AC belt (did you order it? I have one if need be) It takes 20-30 to pull the front bumper (may want to do this later)

B

I'll order the non AC belt tomorrow. I'll let you know if I'll need yours or not depending upon delivery time. I'll also order the seat rails.

I'm okay with working on it Friday night if you are. I don't sleep, remember? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

What time do you want the build team available on Sat? We can start working on logistics.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 04:56 PM
Post #25

914 Freak!

Let's say 9am on Sat. morning. You and I will get the car "prepared" Friday night.

I'm not going to be shy here: I'm a little concerned with the number of people. It will go slower with more people than it would with less. We dont have 4 tool boxes to pull tools from. Just a thought. I also dont want people to feel "left out". I'll stick my head down and grind it out, but I dont want to be waiting on tools.

We need to print off/locate the torque values for ALL the suspension prior to my arrival and have several copies taped to the car. This is VERY important. I also will need several RED paint markers.. NOT Sharpies. These come from craft stores like "Michaels". We will "mark" every nut/bolt that is torqued during re-assembly. This will ensure that nothing is missed. I suggest your alignment shop use a DIFFERENT color when they make the changes.. so you know THEY torqued everything. I can get the car VERY close with a tape measure and a camber gauge.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #26

914 Freak!

Not sure which belts your are going to order, but.. get them ordered. You dont want to be crawling all over the cage drilling holes for the crotch strap pickup point of trying to screw in the eye bolts over the side bars.

Worst case scenerio.. get the eye bolts. They are the same one we use in the 914's.

B
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Oct 9 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #27

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 10 2006, 12:33 AM) *

With the risc of being anal...
GT3 racers have a Momo Mod07 wheel (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
(IMG:http://www.momousa.com/images/views/r1905.jpg)

not a sparco
(IMG:http://rallynuts.com/bin/products/015R345MSN.jpg)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 9 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #28

Jeroen,

What is the MOMO part number? Is there a hub adapter for the MOMO as well?

Thanks!

Bill P.
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 9 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #29

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 03:58 PM) *

Not sure which belts your are going to order, but.. get them ordered. You dont want to be crawling all over the cage drilling holes for the crotch strap pickup point of trying to screw in the eye bolts over the side bars.

Worst case scenerio.. get the eye bolts. They are the same one we use in the 914's.

B

Belts are on order and will be here with hardware.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 06:14 PM
Post #30

914 Freak!

We like the Sparco because we can drill the hole for the "push to talk" button in the solid spokes. The MOMO holes are two big for the button.

B
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 9 2006, 06:17 PM
Post #31

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 03:56 PM) *

Let's say 9am on Sat. morning. You and I will get the car "prepared" Friday night.

I'm not going to be shy here: I'm a little concerned with the number of people. It will go slower with more people than it would with less. We dont have 4 tool boxes to pull tools from. Just a thought. I also dont want people to feel "left out". I'll stick my head down and grind it out, but I dont want to be waiting on tools.

We need to print off/locate the torque values for ALL the suspension prior to my arrival and have several copies taped to the car. This is VERY important. I also will need several RED paint markers.. NOT Sharpies. These come from craft stores like "Michaels". We will "mark" every nut/bolt that is torqued during re-assembly. This will ensure that nothing is missed. I suggest your alignment shop use a DIFFERENT color when they make the changes.. so you know THEY torqued everything. I can get the car VERY close with a tape measure and a camber gauge.

B

I have 2 full sets of tools in 2 different tool boxes. I also have two sets of air tools and 2 compressors. I got tired of lugging everything back and forth between the garage and trailer, so I have 2 sets..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

I took into account that not everyone may stay the entire day Sat or Sun. Would you prefer we cut back on the help? Part of it was to be able to make tracks on the car while still getting the gang together...any excuse to have fun.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Let me know...

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 06:18 PM
Post #32

914 Freak!

The sub strap can be difficult to install because of all the sheet metal coming together under the tub. I'll show you how I did it.

Make sure you also have the cotter pins for the belts also.

The belts wont be in the car for the cage/scab plates. We just need to get all the hardware in place so you can clip them in.

You did buy "clip-ins" correct?? I buy pull up to tighten bottoms and pull down to tighten shoulder straps with clip in lap belts and clip in sub straps. The shoulder harness pieces are "loop through"

I spent the big bucks and bought Scroth. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I had always thought "there is no difference...LOL" Yeah.. right..

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 06:21 PM
Post #33

914 Freak!

I'm ok with it Bill. I thought more about it. I want some of the 914 people to see/learn this stuff also. I dont know it all, but I have seen it/dealt with it more than most. The tool issue was my number one concern.

Make sure you have some 18mm wrenches/sockets. Some sets dont come with it.

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #34

914 Freak!

Fire bottle:

I mount it right between the seats on the center tunnel. VERY EASY to access and it works as an arm rest while you are sitting on grid..LOL

I forget what size, but they typically run $30 or so.

B
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 9 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #35

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Will the build team make it to Sears for the send off on the 12th?

I'll get to chase you around the track myself. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Jumpy.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 9 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #36

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 05:18 PM) *

The sub strap can be difficult to install because of all the sheet metal coming together under the tub. I'll show you how I did it.

Make sure you also have the cotter pins for the belts also.

The belts wont be in the car for the cage/scab plates. We just need to get all the hardware in place so you can clip them in.

You did buy "clip-ins" correct?? I buy pull up to tighten bottoms and pull down to tighten shoulder straps with clip in lap belts and clip in sub straps. The shoulder harness pieces are "loop through"

I spent the big bucks and bought Scroth. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! I had always thought "there is no difference...LOL" Yeah.. right..

B

I have Schroth in the 911 and Teamtech's in the 914. The Teamtech's have a nice chest pad but it's a tad cumbersome to fit with a two driver car with a moveable drivers seat. The Schroth's are nice in the 911 since they fit nicely and are comfortable but also can be adjusted for 2 drivers.

I went with Schroth's again.

I'm glad you reminded me about the cotter pins. They don't come with the hardware.

And yes, I got clip ins for the lap belts and sub straps. And I got loop throughs for the shoulder harnesses.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #37

914 Freak!

I'm trying to figure out a way to attend his first event in the car (AutoX or track) I need to come back up again before the end of the month to move some stuff from yet another storage unit (house stuff that Lyressa is giving me..back..LOL)

B
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Oct 9 2006, 06:28 PM
Post #38

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

I don't have a part#
it's called a "mod 07"

the bolt circle for Sparco, Momo and OMP wheels/hubs are the same (interchangeble) so getting a hub adapter (and a quick release) shouldn't be an issue

you can get them online here:
http://www.ltbmotorsports.com

but both the wheel and the hub adapter should be available at most any motorsport shop, so look around for prices...
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 9 2006, 06:29 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 9 2006, 05:23 PM) *

Fire bottle:

I mount it right between the seats on the center tunnel. VERY EASY to access and it works as an arm rest while you are sitting on grid..LOL

I forget what size, but they typically run $30 or so.

B

I have a HALON in car system for the Boxster.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 9 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #40

914 Freak!

Please tell me you also ordered them "Hans" compatible? They come with the 2inch upper straps instead of the 3 inch (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Sorry. I ordered/worked on/buil so many GT3's and Boxsters at MOM.. all of this feels routine..LOL

B
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 12:48 AM