Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Mini-starter goes "ping!", What the hell.
LowGT
post Oct 9 2006, 11:12 AM
Post #1

1.8 and Proud!

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,904
Region Association: Southwest Region

So I swapped to a 2.0 and a new mini-starter and everything has been starting fine for the last two weeks. I went to tune the carbs last night and it started fine. After the car warmed up I shut it off to remove the carb linkage. (I think it's easier to adjust this way) When I tried to start it, all I got was a loud "ping".

I checked the battery and it was a bit low. I charged it all night and no difference, so I bought a new battery. Still only got the ping. So I check and clean all grounds, checked the voltage regulator wiring. Everything is in tip-top shape. Tried it start, PING! All the gauge lights dim like maybe the starter will turn, but it never does. I tried turning the engine by hand and it turns fine. It sounds like the starter gear is just coming out and hitting the flywheel, and never turning.

Any ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
LowGT   Mini-starter goes "ping!"   Oct 9 2006, 11:12 AM
JOHNMAN   Did you whack it with a wooden mallet? It sounds ...   Oct 9 2006, 11:27 AM
Bleyseng   did you get the right starter?? A bug one won...   Oct 9 2006, 11:28 AM
LowGT  
  Nov 8 2006, 09:36 AM
LowGT   Put my stock starter back in and now it does it to...   Nov 8 2006, 12:52 PM
Dr Evil   No. If you are hearing a ping then it is trying to...   Nov 8 2006, 12:56 PM
LowGT   I'm still at work, but I plan to work this out...   Nov 8 2006, 08:34 PM
GWN7   On older chevy's it was common to have to ...   Nov 8 2006, 10:23 PM
SGB   You could retard timing just a little for the next...   Nov 8 2006, 11:02 PM
JOHNMAN   I wonder if your flywheel may be loose or the star...   Nov 8 2006, 11:49 PM
LowGT   Ok, here's my list so far: Tranny is flush to...   Nov 9 2006, 02:19 AM
Joe Ricard   Put some white grease or paint on the gear teeth a...   Nov 9 2006, 06:04 AM
URY914  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:26 PM