Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GGR AX #9 at Alameda, who is going to be there?
Trekkor
post Oct 25 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #61

I do things...

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

911 Spanktoberfest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spank.gif)

Ahh yeahhhh!!

KT
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
DanT
post Oct 25 2006, 11:43 PM
Post #62

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

QUOTE(trekkor @ Oct 25 2006, 10:35 PM) *

911 Spanktoberfest (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spank.gif)

Ahh yeahhhh!!

KT

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
anthony
post Oct 26 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #63

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

I was going to bring the 914 for one last hurrah before I upgrade the engine.

+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Oct 26 2006, 11:25 AM
Post #64

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

course looks great. few areas to open the car up, although I'm a little bit nervous about the opening transitions.

the last few turns are gonna suck in the 'bird....
+Quote Post
DanT
post Oct 26 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #65

QUOTE(anthony @ Oct 25 2006, 11:15 PM) *

I was going to bring the 914 for one last hurrah before I upgrade the engine.

What do you have planned for your engine Anthony?

I am going to be starting my motor build in November.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Oct 26 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #66

2270 club

Member No.: 218

I ordered a Raby 2270 kit when Jake did the 20% off deal. It should be here within a few weeks. It's going to be fun!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Oct 27 2006, 11:41 PM
Post #67

Member Emeritus

okay! I checked out the firebird tonight, fixed a few minor issues, and we are ready to roll... See you in the morning!
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 28 2006, 12:14 AM
Post #68

I do things...

I'm like a zombie right now... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vampire.gif)

Club junkie. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Oct 28 2006, 07:15 AM
Post #69

Member Emeritus

Washed and waxed the Mazda. Groomed the dog. Cleaned and conditioned the leather seats. 100 octane fuel in the tank. Peets coffee card loaded to buy a triple latte. Burned a Kraftwerk AX CD. I'm ready. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

jeez grant, were you able to work a pedicure in there, as well? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Oct 28 2006, 09:08 PM
Post #70

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) By the way the 914club was well represented today.

Tom was there with his son and 914aroo, Demick, Trekkor, Myself and a couple others that I don't know.
Demick and Trek got into the 46s, I had a 47+ with the orange putput.
Grant was scrubbing in his new tire/wheel combination on the Mazdaspeed6, and Nathan was there shredding tires with the Firehawk.

As usual The Smurf was way up on everyone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

By the way the 914club was well represented today.

As usual The Smurf was way up on everyone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Results hopefully in a day or two.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 28 2006, 09:37 PM
Post #71

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Great course Dan! That was by far the best course I have driven at Alameda in 3 years. Fast times were low/mid forty second range. Think Andrew B got TTOD again with 43?

Trekkor laid down some mean times today in his 914-6 and the 4 cylinder guys, Demick and Dan, were flying too. Not sure who set the fastest time between all of you?

Nathan and I were battling for big sedan on street tires title (American muscle verses Japanese technology). I had the faster time up until Nathans last run when he laid down a scorching 48.XX. I had one more run to beat him and came up short with a 49.5. Nathan had power and I had traction.

Bill's spec Boxster has one of the best suspensions of any car I have seen at AX recently. Car turns like mad, he can rotate with throttle input. He was carrying much more speed through corners then almost all cars today. Biggest challenge with the Boxster was finding right gear. He was either bogging down in 3rd or hitting rev limiter in 2nd on some parts of todays course.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 28 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #72

I do things...

Yes on the course design.

It was very easy to memorize. That was good.

Learning the fastest way around that was another story.

I dropped a 46.6, booyah!!

And, I think Bill and Randal in the Spec Boxster Plus were in the 45.5-46.1 range.

Nice closer to the season.

Huge field of drivers...

KT

+Quote Post
DanT
post Oct 28 2006, 09:57 PM
Post #73

Thanks guys....I think the course turned out pretty well.
Thanks to Trek and Randal for helping me with set up and finalization this morning (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I think the 914club aquitted itself pretty well today, no matter what kind of whip they were driving.

Trek and Demick deifinitely got me but we will see next season, after I build my new slug for the putput. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 29 2006, 08:11 AM
Post #74

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

For whatever it's worth, Dan, that was the best looking course (at least the map (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )
that I have seen coming out of GGR. It looked as if you made no attempts to trick it up to lengthen the times....good on you. The finish looked tight, but we do the same thing to slow folks down & protect the timing lights ..... we only lost one reflector this year (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Demick
post Oct 29 2006, 11:05 AM
Post #75

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

That was a fun autox. I think that was my first autox where I was in 3rd gear before crossing the start line (short shifted so that I wouldn't have to shift after the timing lights). I know there was another second out there for me to get, but I couldn't find it. I know everyone else is feeling the same way. I don't think Dan or Trekkor improved on their morning times which is very unusual.

Until next year! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Hamilton
post Oct 29 2006, 12:07 PM
Post #76

Member No.: 5,687

In my opinion the course was far too open on the first half, ended up being much like a drag strip up to the twisty section. Andrew was getting to around 5,000RPM in 4th gear, which vastly exceeds speeds we've done at other courses. I think I remember andrew's best time being a 42.0-42.1.
+Quote Post
Demick
post Oct 29 2006, 12:31 PM
Post #77

Ernie made me do it!

Member No.: 257

Yeah, it was pretty fast. Mostly a straight shot from the start to the far end of the course. You must have a really low geared tranny to be at 5000rpm in 4th. I was at about 5000rpm in 3rd. But that's nothing compared to an autox at Candlestick a few years back where I was over 5000rpm in 4th. The high hp cars were doing in excess of 110mph on that one!

Demick
+Quote Post
DanT
post Oct 29 2006, 12:51 PM
Post #78

The out section (front) was only a drag strip for the 914s. All the 911s, Caymans, Boxsters were either lifting or braking for the one left right about half the way up.

You have to remember that our cars do not gather speed as rapidly as the high hp cars. We also are able to negotiate high speed transitions better than the other cars (even Spec Boxters) because we are not hauling around another 500-1000 pounds.

I guess we need to hear fron andrew about the speeds, since he was driving.
I spoke to him several times during the day and he seemed to be enjoying himself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Do we want the same old 90-180-270-360 (damned loops) type of courses. Or do we want some variety?
I will be happy to design a course in which the 914s never get out of 2nd and the new cars will be mostly in first.

I was using 2nd and 3rd, the spec Box was using 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I am sure many of the 911s were also using 2-3 gears. That adds some excitement, along with some needed skills that many AXers lack. The ability to not only upshift but also downshift in anger....not to mention deciding what gear works best in certain sections. Makes the whole thing a bit more technical, instead of getting the car in 2nd and leaving it there....

IMHO (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I guess you can't please everyone (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 29 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #79

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

Great fun at the last event of the season!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Now that I got some sleep I can think a little more clearly.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I really liked the course. I never did put together a clean run, but I have never claimed to be a good driver.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I just can never remember from run to run what the hell is going on. Combine that with no sleep and you get a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) 'ed up run...

I'm on the other side of Chris' comments. I thought the course design gave us the best of both worlds and allowed a little bit of something for everyone and every car. Great design Dan! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) oops...no drinking and driving... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

I thought the long high speed first half combined with the twisty second half gave us a course that was "out of the box" in thinking for Zone 7. If you look around at other regions in the U.S, they use far less cones and combine very high speed sections with the low speed stuff. Of course, you have to use the venue's layout to influence the course design, but GGR has access to nice sites. So the layout allowed folks to get into gears and experiences they don't normally see. This brings on other technical challenges (such as braking points, vitual speed, etc). It appears from Dan's design that all makes were bunched together in times, so that makes it a great course in my book!

For Hamilton Racing and the blue car that has dominated the AX series for 2 years running, congratulations on another great season. I for one love what you guys have accomplished! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) I know that it can get frustrating not getting your due, but what you are seeing is not uncommon. Dominance breeds indifference. Although at times this year Randal and I got within tenths of a second to you, in reality your team spanked the competition. Winning TTOD by SECONDS is pure domination. To put it in perspective, thousandths of a second would be close and tenths would be within shouting distance. Winning by SECONDS is just plain kicking tale! Maybe next year the BPR Raby powered 914 will give you a little better run for the money. We will see.

And special thanks to our own Bill Dally (BillD) and crew for taking the time to run the events. And to all those that put in the hours volunteering and helping out. Our AX series just wouldn't happen without the effort.

It was a great way to end the season. I can't wait for next year!

Bill P.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 29 2006, 01:25 PM
Post #80

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 29 2006, 10:51 AM) *

Do we want the same old 90-180-270-360 (damned loops) type of courses.

i haven't seen a real 360 since marina two years ago. full 360 around a center cone is *FUN* ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) Andy
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 02:27 AM