Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Well it helped sort of... at least for an hour, New dizzy... same problem but not as bad.
tdgray
post Oct 13 2006, 06:53 AM
Post #1

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Group: Members
Member No.: 984
Region Association: None

Okay... got home last night about a quarter till nine.

Immediatley went to the garage...beer in hand.

Put one of the set of trigger points that Britt sent me in the new dizzy. Installed the new dizzy. Aligned the pertronix. Put in the new NGK6'ers. Started her up and timed it. Car ran much smoother. Nice power band. Put on the timing light and tweeked the timing...really not off by much. My neighbors loved it about as much as my wife did at 10:00 at night (for those of you that have timed a 1.7 you know what I am talking about).

All seemed well. So I bundled up... kissed the wife and with a spare set of plugs, tools and cell phone I set out for a drive.

Drove for about a half hour with no problems... really getting cold out now so I decide to head back home. Took the backroads. About ten minutes from my house car starts bucking and sputtering. Ahhh I know this feel. CRAP. Pull over at a gas station near my house for some light and pull number two plug. TOTALLY F'IN fouled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Pulled all the plugs. Every one is fouled out. Put in the cleaned Platinums that I brought with me and limped back home.

I am totally at a loss here... I just do not know where to check now. I think I am done for the winter. I have had enough.

Sorry boys I will not be seeing you at the FFC tomorrow. Have fun. I'm just pisssed off this morning beyond belief (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Oct 13 2006, 07:01 AM
Post #2

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

new dizzy, working pertronix, and plugs are getting fouled.

platniums havent worked well for me on these engines IMO, I prefer the standard bosch supers. Anyway, have you checked more simple things, like a nice BLUE spark from the coil? I bet you have a weak yellow spark.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Oct 13 2006, 07:02 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 13 2006, 04:53 AM) *

Okay... got home last night about a quarter till nine.

Immediatley went to the garage...beer in hand.

Put one of the set of trigger points that Britt sent me in the new dizzy. Installed the new dizzy. Aligned the pertronix. Put in the new NGK6'ers. Started her up and timed it. Car ran much smoother. Nice power band. Put on the timing light and tweeked the timing...really not off by much. My neighbors loved it about as much as my wife did at 10:00 at night (for those of you that have timed a 1.7 you know what I am talking about).

All seemed well. So I bundled up... kissed the wife and with a spare set of plugs, tools and cell phone I set out for a drive.

Drove for about a half hour with no problems... really getting cold out now so I decide to head back home. Took the backroads. About ten minutes from my house car starts bucking and sputtering. Ahhh I know this feel. CRAP. Pull over at a gas station near my house for some light and pull number two plug. TOTALLY F'IN fouled. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Pulled all the plugs. Every one is fouled out. Put in the cleaned Platinums that I brought with me and limped back home.

I am totally at a loss here... I just do not know where to check now. I think I am done for the winter. I have had enough.

Sorry boys I will not be seeing you at the FFC tomorrow. Have fun. I'm just pisssed off this morning beyond belief (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Sorry to hear this Todd. I know how discouraging this can be. I am confident that you will get this sometime. Too bad it won't be in time for the FFC. Just a reminder though, you don't have to bring a 914. Any car that brings you will be welcome!
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Oct 13 2006, 07:03 AM
Post #4

Nope monster spark... Got the matching coil to go with the pertronix.

I don't know why but I am still concerned that I adjusted the valves wrong. But I can't see this fouling the plugs.

I don't think of myself as a master mechanic but I do know what should cause fouled plugs and those conditions should not be there at this point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Oct 13 2006, 07:10 AM
Post #5

Sir Post-a-lot

Good Luck man! I'll be taking pictures of this event, so you can be there without being there.
+Quote Post
SGB
post Oct 13 2006, 07:18 AM
Post #6

just visiting

Member No.: 404
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 13 2006, 08:03 AM) *

I don't know why but I am still concerned that I adjusted the valves wrong. But I can't see this fouling the plugs:

I NEVER have confidence that I got the valves right, but the problem you describe is way too systemic- valves would be right & wrong.
I don't know FI on these cars, but it seems like you are way rich at higher RPMs. What could cause that? We need MLES! He would know. Brad Anders would know, too, of course. Me? All I can do is ask questions, apparently. hmmm.
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Oct 13 2006, 07:24 AM
Post #7

Sir Post-a-lot

D-Jet i'd check your mps (i have one of those suckers too) or vacuum leak.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Oct 13 2006, 07:33 AM
Post #8

I've checked the MPS fifteen thousand times. Hold vac.

As for vacuum hoses. They are all new and they seem tight. Maybe I should get some cheap clamps and clamp them down to make sure.

I would be real pissed if that was the problem.
+Quote Post
mihai914
post Oct 13 2006, 07:37 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,697

For peace of mind, why wouldn't you try to put some points back in there?

And maybe have a multimeter with you when the problem happens to check the CHT's resistance on the spot. I think you have a new one but you never know.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 13 2006, 08:01 AM
Post #10

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(bd1308 @ Oct 13 2006, 06:01 AM) *

new dizzy, working pertronix, and plugs are getting fouled.

platniums havent worked well for me on these engines IMO, I prefer the standard bosch supers. Anyway, have you checked more simple things, like a nice BLUE spark from the coil? I bet you have a weak yellow spark.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

fuel pressure?
CHT ohms?

send the MPS to me and I'll check it out.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Oct 13 2006, 08:49 AM
Post #11

Fuel pressure is at 29. I have an inline pressure gauge.

Geoff... this is the MPS I got from you... you think it might have gone wacky?

CHT is new and I have not checked the OHMs. Was just assuming it was OK. Will check this weekend.

I have had the same problem with both points and pertronix. It actually got a little better when I moved to the pertronix.

+Quote Post
drewvw
post Oct 13 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #12

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

what kind of shape is your FI wiring harness in? I agree that the coil seems like the next logical thing to check....
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Oct 13 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 13 2006, 06:49 AM) *

Fuel pressure is at 29. I have an inline pressure gauge.

Geoff... this is the MPS I got from you... you think it might have gone wacky?

CHT is new and I have not checked the OHMs. Was just assuming it was OK. Will check this weekend.

I have had the same problem with both points and pertronix. It actually got a little better when I moved to the pertronix.

CHT when hot is near 100 ohms IIRC. You can disconnect the CHT and install a 100 ohm resistor to ground. The car will run like crap when cold but O.K. when warm. A better idea is to install a pot with a 100 ohm resistor in series.. You can then dial in the pot for better running. This reccomendation is for testing and not for normal use. This will not help if the problem is a bad (as in broken) connection to the ECU. I would check this first.
+Quote Post
tdgray
post Oct 13 2006, 09:04 AM
Post #14

I can put the blue coil back on and test but I really don't think this is the problem.

Now the FI harness... that is another story. Never really checked it out. I'll have to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

+Quote Post
drewvw
post Oct 13 2006, 09:10 AM
Post #15

new england car guy

Member No.: 5,630
Region Association: North East States

the fact that one cylinder get fouled after its been running for awhile makes me think that perhaps the harness is beat up and when it gets hot starts acting flaky.

+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 13 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #16

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

could be as I have had two go bad from Shipping across the US. Must be something about being at 33,000 feet that does it. Send it back so I can test it.

I can also ship the Janbo to you to test the FI out. Its a trouble shooting tester that will test the harness out too. It doesnt test the ECU at all.
+Quote Post
BMartin914
post Oct 13 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #17

|||

Member No.: 2,128

QUOTE(drewvw @ Oct 13 2006, 07:10 AM) *

the fact that one cylinder get fouled after its been running for awhile makes me think that perhaps the harness is beat up and when it gets hot starts acting flaky.

I'm in this boat...I'd be looking at your harness.

I've had an intermittent bucking issue caused by broken wires at the trigger points, then at the MPS. You may be wasting time checking components when the problem lies under those brittle, broken little boots on the harness.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post Oct 13 2006, 10:31 AM
Post #18

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658

A valve that is out of adjustment just a little would run fine until it warmed

up and then it starts to loose compression. It's not always on or off.
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post Oct 13 2006, 10:55 AM
Post #19

Advanced Member

QUOTE(tdgray @ Oct 13 2006, 05:03 AM) *

I don't know why but I am still concerned that I adjusted the valves wrong. But I can't see this fouling the plugs.

I

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Oct 13 2006, 08:31 AM) *

A valve that is out of adjustment just a little would run fine until it warmed

up and then it starts to loose compression. It's not always on or off.

If in doubt, use this method. Remove the plugs. Rotate the motor until you see a valve being pressed. Adjust the valve on the opposite side. Repeat this 8 times. If you adjusted them correctly, then this will be a fairly fast check. I have tried other methods and I made mistakes. Yes they were dumb mistakes I hate to admit it. The last time I did this, I got intake #3 too loose. The pushrod got hung up on the edge of a lifter. This held the valve open and I lost compression on 3. Now I don't make mistakes or get confused.
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Oct 13 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,533

I didn't read the previous thread about your problems,

Have you considered leaky fuel injectors?

While working on a car we discovered that the motor ran fine with all four injectors disconnected from the harness.

Swap the injectors around and see if the plug fouling moves too...
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2024 - 09:22 PM