Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> October 29th SVR Autocross @ Stockton CA, Final Zone Event of the year!
ConeDodger
post Oct 30 2006, 09:09 AM
Post #41

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I counted 8 914's. I know that three of them had co-drivers so we had at least 11 914 pilots. If Alison had not had a gall bladder attack we would have had 10 914s and maybe 14 914 pilots! That was a heck of a showing.

Toby did very well with his stock suspension. Improving with each run, smiling like he won the lottery every time he got out of the car.

Michael had a blast as well. I never got to ask Cathy after her ride I arranged if she got hooked... Earlier this year I took my girlfriend Shirley on a five lap fun run at Marina on a Trekkor designed course. Her first words after I stopped were "I want to do this!"

If you guys have a moment today offer up a prayer for Alison. She is having surgery at David Grant Medical Center in Fairfield. Simple procedure takes about an hour but no surgery is truely and completely safe.

Thanks for coming. It made my day to tell my co-organizers that commented "not too many 914's today" I replyed "eight is enough" and just grinned.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Oct 30 2006, 10:07 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 4,634

I did not figure it out until I was driving home. Hit turn three in third, weave it through the little esses easy on the gas in third to the hairpin then brake, down to second and as Mike said, "GO,GO,GO!" Surprising how well I could hear him with the helmet on.

Must not have been going hard enough, did not hit a cone all day

She will be back on Haggis in no time
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Oct 30 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #43

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Tobra @ Oct 30 2006, 08:07 PM) *

I did not figure it out until I was driving home. Hit turn three in third, weave it through the little esses easy on the gas in third to the hairpin then brake, down to second and as Mike said, "GO,GO,GO!" Surprising how well I could hear him with the helmet on.

Must not have been going hard enough, did not hit a cone all day

She will be back on Haggis in no time

Mike is a good instructor. He will be my instructor in two weeks at Infinion at the DE.

It seems like begginers either go too hard or not hard enough. I think it is better to inch up to the limit when you first start. Besides, it is easier on the course workers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

It is the rare course that will have you in third gear as long as you could have been yesterday. I heard many just winding out second through that part of the course. One, EJ and Susans bright red number 8 is geared so that it is in first the entire course and still has room to wind up!
+Quote Post
Tobra
post Oct 30 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 4,634

That guy was right next to and in front of me in staging. Cut his arm fixing a flat in the staging area, he could roll the car back while lying on the ground next to it with one arm, it had license plates on it, but it was big wide gumballs and tube frame, dzus fasteners, or whatever it is with the little one turn screws to hold the body panels on, big flares that you probably would not want to lean on too hard. No trunk floor, and not much else under the body panels, no wonder he rolls it with one hand.

Mike commented, "That's kinda hard on the clutch" as he launched on the green flag, made me glad I have my shitty front lenses and prebroken fog lights on the car when I watched that bright red fiberglass and probably 20 inches of sticky slicks shed the rocks stuck to them and become a dot. Mike asks me "You watch F 1?" I lie, "Yes". "Racing line, very important, you know like Michael Schumacher? Like that." I am thinking, who is this guy telling me to be like Mike, as the jingle goes, WTF, aim high, and his name was Mike too, which I liked for its symmetry, he was very positive, and he had an orange 914 with a dire need for some front flares and a truly wicked sounding 6. So I listen to him when he tells me I am doing well, despite how slow I am actually going around the track.

I could hear his motor better than mine, at least my tach appeared to be working, I give the timer guy the thumbs up, then I get the green flag myself. I could hear surprisingly well with a helmet on, even with all the hair stuffed up in there with my ears. Mike gestures with his hand, "GO, GO!", points me right and left to indicate lines to take, "Leave it in second", he says, on a corner that I later determined I could do better in third. "Tighter" as he pushes the wheel left, "GAS, GAS!", "Over", "GO, GO!" We repeat this a few times until, deep breath, last corner, and I slide the tail end out as I go into a turn too hot right in front of the trailer Robby was good enough to tow out here to the middle of BFE, another deep breath, don't run over the timing lady, get the slip

Right thing to do as an instructor on keeping it in 2nd, I got the chance to drive the course a few times before I got my opportunity to spin the car or drive off the course trying to be too fast on not enough tires.

Never did spin or hit a cone though, guess that means I was not aggressive enough.

Might just have to do some indoor carting when the
the weather gets bad
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 4 2006, 06:43 PM
Post #45

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172

Sounds like fun! The red car is driven by a very nice couple (EJ I think is the guy, sally I think is the girl..). VERY fast.. been driving that car for more than 5 years as it sits.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 5 2006, 10:29 AM
Post #46

Apex killer!

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 4 2006, 04:43 PM) *

Sounds like fun! The red car is driven by a very nice couple (EJ I think is the guy, sally I think is the girl..). VERY fast.. been driving that car for more than 5 years as it sits.

EJ and Susan Fontaine... They are avid autocrossers and do track days as well.... Susan has some tendonitis in her shoulders so she has been autocrossing and tracking their Corvette with the powersteering of late. She is an incredible driver. Major talent and a joy to watch on the autocross course.

Their car is for sale by the way... $25,000 gets you that beautifully prepared car with 12:1 compression ratio. Fresh rebuild. It honks and would be lots of fun for the right person. It is more engine than I want but for someone like Andyrew who doesn't mind driving a car possessed by the devil... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:19 PM