Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: October 29th SVR Autocross @ Stockton CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
ConeDodger
On October 29th Sacramento Valley Region of the Porsche Club of America will be hosting the final Zone 7 Series event of the year.

Come on out and enjoy the cool fall weather with us...

I know for sure that we now have 4 914 pilots but I would like to make it 10. Lets make a real statement and take all top 10 positions.

Registration 0730 - 0830 First car out at 0900

Preregister at the PCA Sacramento Valley Region Website and all you have to do is sign your name on the release and pay your $35.

See you there
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Oct 13 2006, 08:18 AM) *

On October 29th Sacramento Valley Region of the Porsche Club of America will be hosting the final Zone 7 Series event of the year.

Come on out and enjoy the cool fall weather with us...

I know for sure that we now have 4 914 pilots but I would like to make it 10. Lets make a real statement and take all top 10 positions.

Preregister at the PCA Sacramento Valley Region Website and all you have to do is sign your name on the release and pay your $35.

See you there

Free Halloween candy to the first 50 entrants! Who is coming?
ConeDodger
icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif
Chris Pincetich

That would be sweet. I went to the final RR AX this Saturday and the first car was on at 10:15. I guess I showed up too early blink.gif Myself and Andy were the only 914s there. It was a high HP course, with a radar gun for top speed on our time sheets. 62 mph in 3rd at 6200 rpm, woops over the red line.

Is PCA membership required in Stockton?...I'm not exactly sure. It would be sweet if some other SF Bay 914s will caravan out there. I'm 90% sure I'll be there, even with my friend's halloween party the night before. beerchug.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ChrisNPDrider @ Oct 15 2006, 09:19 PM) *

That would be sweet. I went to the final RR AX this Saturday and the first car was on at 10:15. I guess I showed up too early blink.gif Myself and Andy were the only 914s there. It was a high HP course, with a radar gun for top speed on our time sheets. 62 mph in 3rd at 6200 rpm, woops over the red line.

Is PCA membership required in Stockton?...I'm not exactly sure. It would be sweet if some other SF Bay 914s will caravan out there. I'm 90% sure I'll be there, even with my friend's halloween party the night before. beerchug.gif

Hi Chris,
We invite other clubs for example the BMW club so I would say that PCA membership is not required. Get the Bay Area Boys together and we can all find a pizza place post event...

By the way, I love that RR course too but they are dealing with a requirement from the airport that no car goes out on course before 10am. They claim it is because of the rich people who live just off the side of the airport.
Not to worry... there are no rich people in Stockton biggrin.gif
914forme
I never thought my auto-x season would end the same day as a Cali groups. poke.gif

Of course I might be driving in the snow! av-943.gif
Alison Baker
Martin Baker
Damn Rob, the Challenge HAS been issued! You better bring your special shoes too! You have a copy of the book? I can loan you mine if I can get it away from Alison...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 16 2006, 01:49 PM) *

I never thought my auto-x season would end the same day as a Cali groups. poke.gif

Of course I might be driving in the snow! av-943.gif

Stephen,
Not to worry. It is the last Zone event of the year, not the last event. We still have an event or two on the calender. Including one in the paddock at Infinion in November. Other Regions in the Zone have events as well.
Come on down... I would love to see some out of town cars make a run at our events. I keep thinking I will return to Minnesota and run a MAC event some summer.
After November it gets a bit rainy up north here and we put them away for the year and adjust our suspensions, rebuild our motors, and such...
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Alison Baker @ Oct 16 2006, 05:38 PM) *

I will be driving at that event, in our 914-6, and I bought myself some new shoes, just for the occasion. I've pre-registered, I've been reading the Secrets of Solo Racing by Henry A. Watts (so I will be skilled in the way). and this could very well be Robs first defeat by a Scotsman...

Ok Alison, if I understand these "extra rules" you emailed to me, I have to drive backwards and blindfolded? biggrin.gif
It will be so great to see that car on an autocross course. I expect it would be better to see it on a track but that thing is so well set up... You are going to have a ball.
I do have Henry's book. I will dust off my copy and get out my reading glasses. driving.gif
Tobra
I could probably help you out with those special shoes
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Oct 16 2006, 05:49 PM) *

Damn Rob, the Challenge HAS been issued! You better bring your special shoes too! You have a copy of the book? I can loan you mine if I can get it away from Alison...

Silly boy! You got her the wrong special shoes! Mine are Signal Orange, if you can't have a Signal Orange 914 you have to have Signal Orange Shoes! biggrin.gif
Alison Baker
Alison Baker
Steve_7x
I'll be there to see how this turns out when the green flag drops.... popcorn[1].gif

Steve
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Steve_7x @ Oct 17 2006, 09:31 AM) *

I'll be there to see how this turns out when the green flag drops.... popcorn[1].gif

Steve

Steve,

I am sure you will, she is a first-timer so you may wind up with a ride or two... I actually plan to run the four cylinder so she should beat me... Anyway a good time will had by all...

Except the cones when Alison is on course. Cone blood will flow in the streets! Oh my God the poor cones!. Someone please help the poor cones! new_shocked.gif
914forme
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Oct 17 2006, 11:07 AM) *

Stephen,
Not to worry. It is the last Zone event of the year, not the last event. We still have an event or two on the calender. Including one in the paddock at Infinion in November. Other Regions in the Zone have events as well.
Come on down... I would love to see some out of town cars make a run at our events.

Good I was beginning to think the worst.

BTW, you don't want me at an event! Each time I have been to Frisco it has rained to beat all hell, flooding in the streets, cats and dogs sleeping togther....... idea.gif Come to think of it did that in Tampa also. Oh great I won't ever be able to run an out of town event.

Ohh. boldblue.gif I just got word, Subaru wants me at next years SCCA Nationals. av-943.gif Seems they want a sweep and they are calling in the rain maker. confused24.gif biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(914forme @ Oct 18 2006, 06:40 AM) *

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Oct 17 2006, 11:07 AM) *

Stephen,
Come on down... I would love to see some out of town cars make a run at our events.

Good I was beginning to think the worst.

BTW, you don't want me at an event! Each time I have been to Frisco it has rained to beat all hell, flooding in the streets, cats and dogs sleeping togther....... idea.gif Come to think of it did that in Tampa also. Oh great I won't ever be able to run an out of town event.

Ohh. boldblue.gif I just got word, Subaru wants me at next years SCCA Nationals. av-943.gif Seems they want a sweep and they are calling in the rain maker. confused24.gif biggrin.gif

I am not too worried. You come on out. We get some spit this time of the year but the rain will hold off a while. Our crack team of meteorologists has determined the chance of rain to be just about 0... But then if it does rain they will just claim they were on crack! wacko.gif
ConeDodger
Only one week left to join in on the most amazing autocross event of the year... We will be giving out Halloween candy in the morning so our expectation is for "sugar-high fast times in the morning" and "sugar-coma slow times in the afternoon". It should be the most amazing nutritional demonstration in the world!

Seriously, we would love to see you all there... driving-girl.gif driving.gif

Bring your camera and take pictures as Alison Baker turns the blue car orange with cone blood giving Martin what he really always wanted. An Orange six! smile.gif
Alison Baker
ConeDodger
[quote name='Alison Baker' date='Oct 23 2006, 08:50 AM' post='800610']
Rob, bring your camera and we will get someone too take a picture of you when I beat your time, that WILL be a picture for ALL of us too see, there's a first for everything !!! driving-girl.gif

Bring your camera and take pictures as Alison Baker turns the blue car orange with cone blood giving Martin what he really always wanted. An Orange six! smile.gif
[/quote]
[/quote]

Actually, I was going to bring the camera to take pictures of you while you are driving... You are going to have a blast...
Alison Baker
ConeDodger
Ok people... I have seen the course design. It is going to be a fast one. Enter the course, left turn across the top in a straight left turn parellel the road left turn by the office down and around the light pole and through the timer in front of the trailer. Looks way fast. Bring your horsepower, or your sticky shoes and talent.
ConeDodger
Bumpity bump bump bump.... Lets see you all there....
Tobra
I thought it said I could wear a MA rated helmet, and if so, I could use my brother's bucket, or a spare maybe, because it will be nice and he will be ridin'

Say Martin and/or Alison, if you have a trailer I can get a vehicle to pull it, or did you get your lights working so you can drive the blue one. You could put the old straight bit for the passenger side back on the red car, but that would just be silly...

You could just put the plates from red to blue, but that would be illegal

Spoke to the wife and she sort of indicated if she could hang out drinking beer, and maybe grilling some food, she would be amenable to coming along. I told her it would probably be bad form to be drinking at a driving event, although she does not intend on driving. I suppose fairgrounds people don't want you eating or drinking anything they did not sell to you. The girl can really cook, so if we can let her knock back a few Budweisers, we all can benefit. As I recall, this is sort of BFE, but it has been a long time since I went to the fair there.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tobra @ Oct 27 2006, 06:56 PM) *

I thought it said I could wear a MA rated helmet, and if so, I could use my brother's bucket, or a spare maybe, because it will be nice and he will be ridin'

Say Martin and/or Alison, if you have a trailer I can get a vehicle to pull it, or did you get your lights working so you can drive the blue one. You could put the old straight bit for the passenger side back on the red car, but that would just be silly...

You could just put the plates from red to blue, but that would be illegal

Spoke to the wife and she sort of indicated if she could hang out drinking beer, and maybe grilling some food, she would be amenable to coming along. I told her it would probably be bad form to be drinking at a driving event, although she does not intend on driving. I suppose fairgrounds people don't want you eating or drinking anything they did not sell to you. The girl can really cook, so if we can let her knock back a few Budweisers, we all can benefit. As I recall, this is sort of BFE, but it has been a long time since I went to the fair there.

Toby,
They do have a security guard that hangs with us to make sure people don't wander on to the area we are using for the autocross.
We do drink a beer or two after the event on the grounds.
I am not sure what the rule is for non-participants.
She certainly shouldn't be blatant about it as that would gather the attention of the guard...
ConeDodger
Ok, I suppose you have all gone to bed but in case a few of you are up... Here is tomorrows course. It is wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide open. I bet Steve will still spank some taildraggin' butt though.
Michael N
Now I have driven it ten times with my cursor on my computer monitor. Each time getting faster. driving.gif

ConeDodger
Holy Schmidt that was a wide open course. Steve N. showed us his hot shoes once again. Michael and his wife Cathy or Kathy were there. Nice to meet a 2 914 family. No really... She confirms the Bumblebee is her car. Michael has a very nice original six car. I have not seen that particular series of Yokohama tires in at least ten years! Yo Michael! Your going to need to shoe that horse!

Good times were had by all.... I put the trailer to bed an hour ago... Thanks to all who came. See you all in two weeks at Infinion for the last event of our year at SVR...
Tobra
You mean this one?

Click to view attachment
Tobra
Sweet car, fast and the boy can drive

Click to view attachment

Tobra
Lined up, Mike in the orange car with the rear only flares rode with me my first three runs, very helpful

Click to view attachment
Tobra
Another cool car that has no business having license plates
Click to view attachment
Tobra
All the fast people kept hitting this one cone. I never hit it

Click to view attachment
Tobra
there were a lot of fast, loud old 911's There were a couple white ones with the ducktail spoileres that were wicked, lifting that inside front tire

Click to view attachment
Tobra
Pretty silver car, very clean, sounded nice and driver was very smooth

Click to view attachment
Tobra
another

Click to view attachment
Tobra
Another red one, more street

Click to view attachment
Michael N
OK, Now that was a BLAST. Not only was it a great time abusing my car but it was also super meeting alot of porsche fanatics at the event. Everyone was so friendly and made even a newbie feel welcome. I was blown away with the overall running of the event from the PCA group. There was a ton of track time and everything ran very smooth. Rob - thanks for the extra attention of showing me the ropes of the event so I would know how it works.
Tobra
It was pretty fun, went from an 86 s run to a 76 s run, dropped about 2 s with every run. Think I could have got it below 70 if I knew what I was doing a bit, or had sticky tires
ConeDodger
I counted 8 914's. I know that three of them had co-drivers so we had at least 11 914 pilots. If Alison had not had a gall bladder attack we would have had 10 914s and maybe 14 914 pilots! That was a heck of a showing.

Toby did very well with his stock suspension. Improving with each run, smiling like he won the lottery every time he got out of the car.

Michael had a blast as well. I never got to ask Cathy after her ride I arranged if she got hooked... Earlier this year I took my girlfriend Shirley on a five lap fun run at Marina on a Trekkor designed course. Her first words after I stopped were "I want to do this!"

If you guys have a moment today offer up a prayer for Alison. She is having surgery at David Grant Medical Center in Fairfield. Simple procedure takes about an hour but no surgery is truely and completely safe.

Thanks for coming. It made my day to tell my co-organizers that commented "not too many 914's today" I replyed "eight is enough" and just grinned.
Tobra
I did not figure it out until I was driving home. Hit turn three in third, weave it through the little esses easy on the gas in third to the hairpin then brake, down to second and as Mike said, "GO,GO,GO!" Surprising how well I could hear him with the helmet on.

Must not have been going hard enough, did not hit a cone all day

She will be back on Haggis in no time
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Tobra @ Oct 30 2006, 08:07 PM) *

I did not figure it out until I was driving home. Hit turn three in third, weave it through the little esses easy on the gas in third to the hairpin then brake, down to second and as Mike said, "GO,GO,GO!" Surprising how well I could hear him with the helmet on.

Must not have been going hard enough, did not hit a cone all day

She will be back on Haggis in no time

Mike is a good instructor. He will be my instructor in two weeks at Infinion at the DE.

It seems like begginers either go too hard or not hard enough. I think it is better to inch up to the limit when you first start. Besides, it is easier on the course workers! biggrin.gif

It is the rare course that will have you in third gear as long as you could have been yesterday. I heard many just winding out second through that part of the course. One, EJ and Susans bright red number 8 is geared so that it is in first the entire course and still has room to wind up!
Tobra
That guy was right next to and in front of me in staging. Cut his arm fixing a flat in the staging area, he could roll the car back while lying on the ground next to it with one arm, it had license plates on it, but it was big wide gumballs and tube frame, dzus fasteners, or whatever it is with the little one turn screws to hold the body panels on, big flares that you probably would not want to lean on too hard. No trunk floor, and not much else under the body panels, no wonder he rolls it with one hand.

Mike commented, "That's kinda hard on the clutch" as he launched on the green flag, made me glad I have my shitty front lenses and prebroken fog lights on the car when I watched that bright red fiberglass and probably 20 inches of sticky slicks shed the rocks stuck to them and become a dot. Mike asks me "You watch F 1?" I lie, "Yes". "Racing line, very important, you know like Michael Schumacher? Like that." I am thinking, who is this guy telling me to be like Mike, as the jingle goes, WTF, aim high, and his name was Mike too, which I liked for its symmetry, he was very positive, and he had an orange 914 with a dire need for some front flares and a truly wicked sounding 6. So I listen to him when he tells me I am doing well, despite how slow I am actually going around the track.

I could hear his motor better than mine, at least my tach appeared to be working, I give the timer guy the thumbs up, then I get the green flag myself. I could hear surprisingly well with a helmet on, even with all the hair stuffed up in there with my ears. Mike gestures with his hand, "GO, GO!", points me right and left to indicate lines to take, "Leave it in second", he says, on a corner that I later determined I could do better in third. "Tighter" as he pushes the wheel left, "GAS, GAS!", "Over", "GO, GO!" We repeat this a few times until, deep breath, last corner, and I slide the tail end out as I go into a turn too hot right in front of the trailer Robby was good enough to tow out here to the middle of BFE, another deep breath, don't run over the timing lady, get the slip

Right thing to do as an instructor on keeping it in 2nd, I got the chance to drive the course a few times before I got my opportunity to spin the car or drive off the course trying to be too fast on not enough tires.

Never did spin or hit a cone though, guess that means I was not aggressive enough.

Might just have to do some indoor carting when the
the weather gets bad
Andyrew
Sounds like fun! The red car is driven by a very nice couple (EJ I think is the guy, sally I think is the girl..). VERY fast.. been driving that car for more than 5 years as it sits.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Nov 4 2006, 04:43 PM) *

Sounds like fun! The red car is driven by a very nice couple (EJ I think is the guy, sally I think is the girl..). VERY fast.. been driving that car for more than 5 years as it sits.

EJ and Susan Fontaine... They are avid autocrossers and do track days as well.... Susan has some tendonitis in her shoulders so she has been autocrossing and tracking their Corvette with the powersteering of late. She is an incredible driver. Major talent and a joy to watch on the autocross course.

Their car is for sale by the way... $25,000 gets you that beautifully prepared car with 12:1 compression ratio. Fresh rebuild. It honks and would be lots of fun for the right person. It is more engine than I want but for someone like Andyrew who doesn't mind driving a car possessed by the devil... biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.