Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 30 psi of boost it produced 547hp/610nm at the backwheels, Is it a subie?
Bleyseng
post Oct 14 2006, 03:57 PM
Post #1

Aircooled Baby!

Group: Members
Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Not a subie but a type 4!!!!

"took my fastback to the dyno wednesday,its the first time i ever tried
something like that and it was fun and scary Shocked
At 6700rpm and 30 psi of boost it produced 547hp/610nm at the backwheels Very Happy
It didnt respond to the increase of boost the way liked it to,490hp/553nm at 23psi of boost so im gonna make some changes and try to go back
for another session in the next 2 weeks."

thread:http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=104744

some serious hp outta a weenie type4 motor that equals the subie power without all that water weight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) That up there with a turbo 911!

Maybe Jake will hurry up and get the boost on! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 14 2006, 04:04 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 14 2006, 02:57 PM) *

Not a subie but a type 4!!!!

"took my fastback to the dyno wednesday,its the first time i ever tried
something like that and it was fun and scary Shocked
At 6700rpm and 30 psi of boost it produced 547hp/610nm at the backwheels Very Happy
It didnt respond to the increase of boost the way liked it to,490hp/553nm at 23psi of boost so im gonna make some changes and try to go back
for another session in the next 2 weeks."

thread:http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=104744

some serious hp outta a weenie type4 motor that equals the subie power without all that water weight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) That up there with a turbo 911!

Maybe Jake will hurry up and get the boost on! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

Sweet....and it cost possibly less than getting a Suby to crank out the same numbers.......
+Quote Post
JPB
post Oct 14 2006, 04:14 PM
Post #3

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

So time between overhauls is what, two weeks or 50 miles which ever comes first?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) You must have some killer connecting rods in that beast.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 14 2006, 04:25 PM
Post #4

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 14 2006, 02:04 PM) *

Sweet....and it cost possibly less than getting a Suby to crank out the same numbers.......

With all those Pauter parts? I doubt it. And certainly not if you put any value at all on all the hours that went into it.

That's funny. To quote Jake: "You can't turbo a type 4!" Of course that may change once he starts selling them...
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 14 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

I never said you can't turbo one... I simply said that there are areas that require more attention than a N/A engine... That is IF you intend for the engine to be a long liver, not a drag car....

I have tested 9 Turbo engines this year so far and have one more to finish before years end and its the only one that belongs to a customer of the bunch.

Expect my Turbo offerings to start showing up in 2008. Until that point its all testing and making rules based on broken parts. I'll be sharing thoughts and facts as I continue to prove them on the Turbo specific portion of my new forums opening up in November.

All the things from our Turbo specific rods right down to the twin plug and LE series heads have been leading up to the Turbo work.

Thus far I have killed 4 engines purposely- wait till I release the pics of the destruction.
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Oct 14 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 5,842

My personal observation is that Jake says "you can't.." or "you shouldn't.." or "you really don't want to.." a little too often. Just my two cents.
Serious numbers though Geoff. What are the internal demensions of the engine: I.E: bore, stroke, valve size, rod length, heads, cams.... Whatever you're not affraid to give away. Keep on doin' what everyone tells you is a bad idea. That's how you change the limits and people's minds.
Mark D.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 14 2006, 04:42 PM
Post #7

Aircooled Baby!

shoot its not my engine!

its in Sweden...

"Engine specs.
78mm Demello crank
Pauter stock length rods.
103,5 JE pistons and cast iron cylinders.
Web 277 with straight cut gears.
Type1 lifters.
Pauter super pro series heads.53/41,5 valves.
1,4:1 rockers
Big ass turbo(Holset hx 52)
Haltech F3 injection.
MSD dizzy and 7al2
Intercooler from a MD82 Shocked "
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 14 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Oct 14 2006, 02:33 PM) *

I never said you can't turbo one...

You most certainly did, Jake, back in the very early days of the STF, because the stud spacing was so much larger than a T1, too large to seal. Remember that people were five and six studding the heads back then. You've also said that fuel injection doesn't belong on a VW engine, that VW's should be kept simple. And remember that the DTM shrouds were only good for lower horsepower applications, that the Sharpebuilt 911 style shrouds were needed for 2270's and up? Joe even agreed with that, in the days before the dyno. Everybody learns, which is why you shouldn't be so absolute about things, your way or the highway. You learn too, and things change.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 14 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #9

Aircooled Baby!

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Oct 14 2006, 03:42 PM) *

shoot its not my engine!

its in Sweden...

"Engine specs.
78mm Demello crank
Pauter stock length rods.
103,5 JE pistons and cast iron cylinders.
Web 277 with straight cut gears.
Type1 lifters.
Pauter super pro series heads.53/41,5 valves.
1,4:1 rockers
Big ass turbo(Holset hx 52)
Haltech F3 injection.
MSD dizzy and 7al2
Intercooler from a MD82 Shocked "

CAM GRIND IS WEB 277! Where is the secret??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Jake absolutely believes something until he himself proves it wrong....haha, I am that way sometimes... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)
+Quote Post
JPB
post Oct 14 2006, 05:11 PM
Post #10

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

Ooops (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) , I mean, who the hell posted that camshaft comment anyways?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) Turbo, it can't be done! Yes it can ;no it can't. Yes it can, no it can't. Yes it can, no it can't. No it can't, yes it can! IGNITION!! FIRE!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowup.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Oct 14 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

In the beginning before Jake had a dyno a lot of his info came the hard way. With that sometimes you can't see the true details of the whats and whys. So until you have the ahrd numbers it is hard to change your opinion.

Once you sit down and actually scientifically crunch numbers and test data you might actually change your opinions. I would bet that is what has happened to Jake.

I know I have had opinions in the past that have proven to be a little off base. Experience brings wisdom.

NOw as far as this Type four engine goes, why is the power so low. I have talked to the owner of a 2.0l engine that made 625hp at the same boost levels. It used the same setup, Pauter heads with a draw through 650cfm HOlley.

Type four heads are way too weak to handle major boost levels. You will be doing valve adjust after every pull. The Pauter heads are the strongest offering, but they are not really street heads.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Oct 14 2006, 09:56 PM
Post #12

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Yes I learn all the time. It may sometimes seem like my mind is closed on something because of the way I explain it or how firm my posts are. As I have further proven things I have had to eat my words quite a few times and I am sure I will have to again, this is because no two combos are the same and I want to continue pushing the envelope. I will always do my best to support my posts with the **CURRENT** results that support the topic at hand- thats all I can do.

I have turboed dozens of Type 4 engines, fact was until newer parts and thoughts existed as well as the ability to do better test work I NEVER had good luck with them and did not trust the end result enough to sell to others- thats the difference. Thats why the current Turbo I am building for a customer in Sweden has taken 18 months to create and I'm not done yet.

I still do not believe that I said a Type 4 could not be turboed, because I had done it before those days you state and have done it since then. What I constantly said was the fact that the Turbo work needed a different approach and that current facts did not exist that would support most builds...

As far as EFI goes:
Until a couple of years ago EFI was still very expensive and underdeveloped for our engines. I took 5 months early in 2005 to do comprehensive testing of 7 different systems on 3 different engines (while my engine shop was down waiting for Ceramic lifters) and found very big benefits to EFI that I had never experienced before- most of these I still have not shared.

Just about that time the price of EFI started dropping, more kits were being brought to the market and Weber carbs were not attainable for 6+ months.

The result of that is the fact that TWO Carbureted engines will leave my shop in 2006, all the rest are injected...

Between what Paul has stated here and what he has alluded to on the STF it's pretty plain to see that he has a problem with me that we should talk about via telephone- we have talked before, but not recently and I think it's time.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Oct 15 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #13

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Paul Illick @ Oct 14 2006, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Oct 14 2006, 02:04 PM) *

With all those Pauter parts? I doubt it. And certainly not if you put any value at all on all the hours that went into it.

Okay, I'm sure building a Suby motor only takes an hour or so and is so much cheaper.... 500hp Subaru motor.....a bargin at $27K for parts only (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

That's funny. To quote Jake: "You can't turbo a type 4!" Of course that may change once he starts selling them...

+Quote Post
turboman808
post Oct 15 2006, 02:27 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

That's some serious power!!!

That would be reallt cool if you could get a completely reliable 400hp out of a type 4. Go hunt down those pesky lambos.
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 15 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #15

Jake, SDS prices haven't changed in years. And in a roundabout way you're confirming that you can't (or at least you yourself haven't yet been able to successfully) turbo a T4. I'm not going to go look it up, but you certainly made that statement years ago n STF and I remember it well precisely because it was so absolute. And as I thought at the time, foolish.

But as you say, you've had to change your opinion about a lot of things over the years. With that in mind my only point is that you could be far less absolute when telling people what they "can" or "can't" do. You know a lot, and I respect that, but when pressed you yourself will admit that you don't know everything. And when you tell people that something they intend to do will inevitably end in failure, without offering any suggestions as to how they could do it successfully, the only thing you've accomplished is to discourage them. You may not realize it, but a steady dose of that negativity will only get them out of the garage and back inside watching TV. People come to these forums for support, to share information, and to get help when they need it. So give them some of that positive support instead of discouragement.

This is meant to be an observation, not criticism (as we all know, you don't do criticism real well). I can understand not wanting to give the farm away, and no problem there, but you can't just tell somebody if he does it the way he's suggesting it's just going to blow up in a hundred miles. Then say that you know how to do it right but aren't going to explain. If you do that you've just wasted my time in reading the post and sent him back to watching his motorsports on TV. NASCAR, for God's sake. Not good. You could do better.

+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Oct 15 2006, 07:35 AM
Post #16

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

(as we all know, you don't do criticism real well)

Paul

You might want to look at absolutes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Dave

+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Oct 15 2006, 08:25 AM
Post #17

Absolutely! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) That's good advice for anyone.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Oct 15 2006, 09:29 AM
Post #18

Aircooled Baby!

IIRC, in the 90's the conventional wisdom was you can't turbo a 2.0L stock. Why? the head to cylinder seal is too small and you get head leaks quickly. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead horse.gif)

Sammy, Jeff (Jenny's brother) proved it can be done (yeah yeah, I even remember the Crown turbo kits of the 70's). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

BenM, Ed proved a 1.7L can be turboed and last for a long time without head leaks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

In the mid 2000's now we have Nickasil cylinders which enable us to turbo more better than before. Heat mangement is here finally. Modern FI is here.

Brand new effen 2.0L heads are here with Jake and Len hard work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smiley_notworthy.gif)

Basically, we have modern new parts to start with on a turbo engine instead of tired retread parts so we are lightyears ahead of where we were in the 90's.

In the horizon are roller lifters, better rods etc which means even more better engines and higher revs so we can actually run higher boost without engine failures.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Brett W
post Oct 15 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,169

If you want to make real power with a T4 you can't do it with big turbo power. Most any engine in the world can handle 5-7psi all day long with proper tuning. But if you want real power you will be boosting over 15lbs. The stock T4 head casting is not strong enough to make real power. You can make just as much power NA on a T4 as you can with a turbo. Why bother.

Until there is a real head casting that has some strength real power will not be made with a turbo T4.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Oct 15 2006, 08:43 PM
Post #20

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Not going to speak for Jake, but he could have been refering to the long standing joke on this list and other that "You can't turbo a 914" And he forgot the smiley. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2024 - 05:34 PM