Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Late style steelies: center caps, ... what do they look like?
type4org
post Oct 15 2006, 12:36 PM
Post #1

You need PLAID!

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,212

In a few days I'll get a beautiful refinished set of late-style steelies for my '76. I'm about to put a for sale ad in for the current Rivieras if anyone is interested, by the way. My question is about center caps: Would anyone have a nice close-up of the center caps and wheel bolt caps these wheels got at the factory?

This is the wheel I mean:

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Oct 15 2006, 04:11 PM
Post #2

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

I am also in the process of swapping late steel wheels for aftermarket alloys on my '76. I have no lug covers to show. I am waiting on some from an online VW parts source. Supposedly on back order, I hope.
Here are some shots of a center cap, plain black, smooth surface. These are also used on VW's with "styled steel sport wheels".

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
type4org
post Oct 15 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #3

You need PLAID!

Member No.: 6,212

QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Oct 15 2006, 06:11 PM) *

I am also in the process of swapping late steel wheels for aftermarket alloys on my '76. I have no lug covers to show. I am waiting on some from an online VW parts source. Supposedly on back order, I hope.
Here are some shots of a center cap, plain black, smooth surface. These are also used on VW's with "styled steel sport wheels".

Thanks a lot for the pictures. It looks like those are the same as the seller I bought my steelies from is sending along. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)

Those wheels were used by VW on many occasions, I see them a lot on Beetle Cabrios, and there were quite a few special edition bugs that had them, the last one (at least for the German market) being the 2400-strong "50 year" edition, which also represented the very last batch of bugs to be imported to Germany by Volkswagen. This was in October 1985 if I remember correctly. Those (and many of the other bugs with those wheels) used special center caps that stuck out further and carried the Wolfsburg crest. A good friend of mine has one of these "50 years" bugs, never driven, in his climate-controlled garage.

I don't have them here right now, but in my 914s glove compartment I found a VW parts baggie with a bunch of brand new lug bolt covers, probably ordered by the first owner in the seventies.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 08:22 PM