Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Electrical question, Dim driver's side headlight
brownaar
post Oct 15 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,813
Region Association: None

My driver's side headlight is dim. I suspect it probably is a bad ground or poor connection somewhere. Any suggestions about where to start looking? Any chance it's the bulb? I have H-4's and will switch out the bulbs to see if the problem stays on the same side. I suspect it will.
Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Oct 15 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(brownaar @ Oct 15 2006, 08:35 PM) *

My driver's side headlight is dim. I suspect it probably is a bad ground or poor connection somewhere. Any suggestions about where to start looking? Any chance it's the bulb? I have H-4's and will switch out the bulbs to see if the problem stays on the same side. I suspect it will.
Thanks

Mantra for 914 Electrical Problems... Repeat after me....

"Check the grounds... Clean the grounds...."

The headlight grounds are located by the headlight motors. Pull the nuts off and clean both the ground point and the loop connector. Inspect the wires at the loop connector for any fraying or breakage.

+Quote Post
draperjojo
post Oct 15 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #3

sixstrings

Member No.: 5,317

Check the voltage at the headlight with a DMM. With engine running it should be over 12.8 volts. The usual culprit is a bad ground. If you end up with a lower voltage reading, try stretching a meter lead back to battery ground(with a jumper wire) and take the other lead to the headlight harness and see if the reading is higher. This will verify the condition of your headlight ground.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Oct 16 2006, 08:44 AM
Post #4

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

My car had an odd problem where one headlight would sometimes be dimmer than the other one. Not all the time, mind you. When it was doing that, it would take longer to turn on than the other one.

Turns out the ground for the bad light was intermittent, and it was feeding back through the other light to get to ground... I replaced the ground wire, and all was happy again.

--DD
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 08:30 PM