Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electrical question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
brownaar
My driver's side headlight is dim. I suspect it probably is a bad ground or poor connection somewhere. Any suggestions about where to start looking? Any chance it's the bulb? I have H-4's and will switch out the bulbs to see if the problem stays on the same side. I suspect it will.
Thanks
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(brownaar @ Oct 15 2006, 08:35 PM) *

My driver's side headlight is dim. I suspect it probably is a bad ground or poor connection somewhere. Any suggestions about where to start looking? Any chance it's the bulb? I have H-4's and will switch out the bulbs to see if the problem stays on the same side. I suspect it will.
Thanks

Mantra for 914 Electrical Problems... Repeat after me....

"Check the grounds... Clean the grounds...."

The headlight grounds are located by the headlight motors. Pull the nuts off and clean both the ground point and the loop connector. Inspect the wires at the loop connector for any fraying or breakage.

draperjojo
Check the voltage at the headlight with a DMM. With engine running it should be over 12.8 volts. The usual culprit is a bad ground. If you end up with a lower voltage reading, try stretching a meter lead back to battery ground(with a jumper wire) and take the other lead to the headlight harness and see if the reading is higher. This will verify the condition of your headlight ground.
Dave_Darling
My car had an odd problem where one headlight would sometimes be dimmer than the other one. Not all the time, mind you. When it was doing that, it would take longer to turn on than the other one.

Turns out the ground for the bad light was intermittent, and it was feeding back through the other light to get to ground... I replaced the ground wire, and all was happy again.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.