Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Need help starting
Hammy
post Oct 19 2006, 09:19 AM
Post #1

mr. Wonderful

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,978
Region Association: Northern California

I'm wondering where to start here.

I have a 1.7 with dual Webers that I need to get going (parents on my ass (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

My initial thought is to just get it running "okay" enough to drive it down to a shop and have it fully tuned up.

Or I may just take the plunge and attempt it all myself (I'm thinking this is a bad idea)

What would the first step be?

The engine has hydraulic lifters. Does this mean I don't need to touch the valves?

The timing. Is this something a total 'newb' should attempt themself? I've been reading up on how to set the timing and it seems pretty simple. I've been thinking of getting a timing light.

As far as adjusting the carbs, I have no idea where to start.

As of now, the engine will turn over and sputter and seem like it wants to start, and occassionally will fire up for a split second but die off again.

Where do I start with the carbs? Any "how to" articles out there?

Where do I start in general?

I could really use some assistance here.
TIA - Zack
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Hammy   Need help starting   Oct 19 2006, 09:19 AM
toon1   If it sputters and kicks, sounds like you're c...   Oct 19 2006, 09:42 AM
SGB   Junk in the carbs is a likely culprit. I have hy...   Oct 19 2006, 01:36 PM
SGB  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 11:07 PM