Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

14 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Official Spec Boxster Build, 914Club Style!
nine14cats
post Oct 23 2006, 04:03 PM
Post #81

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 23 2006, 02:25 PM) *

The 997's have an X behind you in the main hoop and an X from the top of the main hoop to the rear strut towers.

He just called me about modifying the top near the location of the main hoop, so the A pillar bars will move over a little bit allowing more room. I told him we had to remove the factory latches and trim them for our main hoop. They still work fine, but need to be trimmed down a little bit.

He had the scab plates welded in before noon. We also discussed moving the fuse panel forward of the A pillar bar. I also warned him of the top latch for the windshield hoop.

B

I'm dropping him off my eyebolt backing plates for the Schroth belts. Tony is going to make sure the inboard eyebolts are mounted correctly for me. No drama for me when I assemble the car at the end of the week.

I'll shoot some pics tomorrow morning of the progress.

Bill P.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 23 2006, 04:18 PM
Post #82

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

The biggest issue is: making sure the seats dont interfere with the eyebolts in the forward or "back" positions.

Have him do the nut plates for the sub belts also!!!!

B
+Quote Post
McMark
post Oct 23 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #83

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

QUOTE(Randal @ Oct 23 2006, 08:59 AM) *

After driving that car I found myself looking for Boxsters on Craigslist last night.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) I did the same thing. There's a really nice low mileage one on the Redding craigslist. 34k miles.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 23 2006, 05:10 PM
Post #84

914 Freak!

Wait another month or two. They will go down even more over winter.

B
+Quote Post
DanT
post Oct 24 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #85

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

So did Tony get the cage done? If so, we need some more pics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bill, you should get Mark (sportech) to slap on that muffler while the car is there getting the alignment and windshield done on Friday.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 24 2006, 06:00 PM
Post #86

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 24 2006, 04:53 PM) *

So did Tony get the cage done? If so, we need some more pics (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bill, you should get Mark (sportech) to slap on that muffler while the car is there getting the alignment and windshield done on Friday.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/burnout.gif)

Hi Dan,

The scab plates are welded in and the main hoop is finished. Tony is smokin on this one!

Yeah...I was thinking of having the muffler put on the car while it is over there. I don't know if they will have time but I can find out. I want to dyno the car after the muffler swap, but I won't have time until Friday, November 10th at the earliest, so I don't know if Sportech would want to have the muffler gone that long. I need to look at the dyno runs to see what it gives me.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Oct 24 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #87

I don't think Mark is going to have a time limit set. And since you are a good friend of mine he knows you are good for it...or he'll get me the next time I am at the shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

I meant to ask you on Saturday. Did you desnork the air box? That is good for some sound and maybe a HP or two....at least it sounds better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 24 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #88

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Oct 24 2006, 05:07 PM) *

I don't think Mark is going to have a time limit set. And since you are a good friend of mine he knows you are good for it...or he'll get me the next time I am at the shop. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/alfred.gif)

I meant to ask you on Saturday. Did you desnork the air box? That is good for some sound and maybe a HP or two....at least it sounds better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

My plan is to run the muffler on a dyno pull, then de-snork the intake and run another pull. Theoretically we should see a slight gain on each mod due to air intake and exhaust volume going up. This will give Mark data for his modification.

I'll give Mark a call tomorrow. It will be on the alignment rack for several hours on Friday, so they may be able to get to it.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Oct 24 2006, 06:23 PM
Post #89

That sounds great....by the way that muffler is the one that came off of my car several years ago when I put on the SS Dansk sport muffler. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 24 2006, 07:28 PM
Post #90

914 Freak!

Bill,

Dont forget to have them torque the rear axle nuts for you.

I have been inside of the 2.5+2.7 mufflers. We spent a lot of time in them while I was at SSI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) I know how they are baffled.

I'll stick with the $150 Flowmaster that Chris Murry runs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

FYI: Tony was doing 914 cages in 8 hours back when he was younger and before he had a pneumatic tube bender..LOL

B
+Quote Post
DanT
post Oct 24 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #91

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 24 2006, 06:28 PM) *

Bill,

Dont forget to have them torque the rear axle nuts for you.

I have been inside of the 2.5+2.7 mufflers. We spent a lot of time in them while I was at SSI (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) I know how they are baffled.

I'll stick with the $150 Flowmaster that Chris Murry runs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

FYI: Tony was doing 914 cages in 8 hours back when he was younger and before he had a pneumatic tube bender..LOL

B

The one Bill is getting is completely gutted. No baffling of any sort. Only two short stub pipes at the exit....kind of like a 911 sport muffler, but the exhaust exit is in the stock location. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 25 2006, 06:32 AM
Post #92

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

Bill, I'm curious about a few things on this car. What camber settings are you going with? I remember with my stock Boxster the max I was able to get -0.6. I'm sure you'll be able to grab more than you need with this setup. What size wheels and tires (DOT R's?)? Any idea on how much will the car weigh with cage? Looking forward to seeing this car at Alameda. Its certainly going to be one of the lightest Boxsters we have seen at a local AX event.

+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 25 2006, 09:13 AM
Post #93

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Oct 25 2006, 05:32 AM) *

Bill, I'm curious about a few things on this car. What camber settings are you going with? I remember with my stock Boxster the max I was able to get -0.6. I'm sure you'll be able to grab more than you need with this setup. What size wheels and tires (DOT R's?)? Any idea on how much will the car weigh with cage? Looking forward to seeing this car at Alameda. Its certainly going to be one of the lightest Boxsters we have seen at a local AX event.

Hi Grant,

Initially, we are going with -3.0 deg in front and -3.25 deg in rear for camber. Spec Boxster mandates that the wheels be of stock width, 17x7 front, 17x8.5 rear. Tires for Spec Boxster are 225/45/17 fronts and 255/40/17's rear. Since I won't be running with POC for all but a few events, I'll be primarily running 245/45/17's front and 275/40/17's rear. This will be the sizing at the track. For AX, we may run a 245/255 combo to make it easier to rotate the rear. I'd also like to try the 255's up front to see how that works.

Inititally, we have the Spec Boxster classed tires (Kumho Victoracers). The last long but aren't the stickiest. We will use these to play with the suspension settings. After finding out what works, we will switch to Kumho V710's for AX and Hoosier R6's for the track, unless Hoosier comes out with a tire compound for AX that can compete with the Kumho's.

As far as weight, it is relative in some sense. Spec Boxster rules say the car has to be at least 2700lbs with driver. We pulled ALOT of weight out of it. I haven't weighed everything yet, but it's a good amount. We are putting weight back in with the cage, and Tony will tell me how much it weighs when all is said and done.

We will be lighter, stiffer, and have the trickest suspension of any Boxster out there at this point in time at an AX. Same for PCA TT events. We won't approach the performance and mods of Chris Murray's car, but this is a Spec Boxster car, not a GT3 race car.

At the AX it will be busy. Both Randal and I will be playing with shock and AR settings. I've made up a matrix to go by for adjustments. We start and keep going. In the morning, and possible all day, we will be slow. But by our last run we will see if we can lay down a decent time.

Thanks,

Bill P.
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 25 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #94

I just talked to Tony at TC Design. The cage installation will be finished in the Boxster between 3pm and 5pm today!.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Bill P.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Oct 25 2006, 10:06 AM
Post #95

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 25 2006, 08:20 AM) *

I just talked to Tony at TC Design. The cage installation will be finished in the Boxster between 3pm and 5pm today!.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Bill P.

His shop is just down the street from work I'm tempted to drive by to see his work.

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Oct 25 2006, 08:13 AM) *

In the morning, and possible all day, we will be slow. But by our last run we will see if we can lay down a decent time.

If by slow you mean you wont get TTOD the first few runs I would agree. Stock Boxsters with street tires are capable of putting down some smacking times. This car even while being sorted should go fast.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 25 2006, 10:28 AM
Post #96

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

we will be slow.

Yeah riiiiiiiiight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

I'm going to do my best to get ya this time.

KT
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 25 2006, 10:56 AM
Post #97

914 Freak!

It will weigh 2650 in its current config with cage and half a tank of gas. The only difference currently between this car and the one I run is the fiberglass GT3 nose and the third radiator, BUT he still has his AC/Heat box in the car and functional. I'm betting this weight is a wash and the car will weigh 2650 +/- 30lbs. I weigh 200lbs and checked in on the POC scales at 2850 with me in the car on Hoosiers.

Wish I could be there this weekend. Feels weird putting something together and not "sorting it"

B
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Oct 25 2006, 11:20 AM
Post #98

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Oct 25 2006, 09:56 AM) *

It will weigh 2650 in its current config with cage and half a tank of gas. The only difference currently between this car and the one I run is the fiberglass GT3 nose and the third radiator, BUT he still has his AC/Heat box in the car and functional. I'm betting this weight is a wash and the car will weigh 2650 +/- 30lbs. I weigh 200lbs and checked in on the POC scales at 2850 with me in the car on Hoosiers.

Wish I could be there this weekend. Feels weird putting something together and not "sorting it"

B

Given my work travel schedule I won't have the 3rd radiator and the GT3 nose installed until AFTER the Infineon test day. I can't make it happen before then.

I'll just take it easy and get a feel for the car....I should have it all together in battle trim by the December 10th THill date....

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Oct 25 2006, 11:38 AM
Post #99

914 Freak!

What day is the autoX?

Trying to figure out how to make it up there.

I know I'll be up for Jenny's wedding in a few weeks.

B
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Oct 25 2006, 11:50 AM
Post #100

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

What day is the autoX?

This Saturday.

KT
+Quote Post

14 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 10:02 PM