Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Dropping the Front
TINCAN914
post Oct 30 2006, 11:50 AM
Post #1

Summer's Commin...

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,611
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I want to drop the front down about 1/2"-3/4" to balance the look of the car. I only know of one way, cutting the springs, (shows how much I know), but Brewer thought there was an adjustment screw of some sort on the front, just below the lights.

Is this true?
Is it so simple even I can do it?
How do I do it?
After doing so, if that simple, what other changes will I need to make if any?

I used the search enging, but didn't see anything.

Thanks
Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 16)
Allan
post Oct 30 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #2

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

The front is raised and lowered using the adjusters on the torsion bars. If you change it you'll need an alignment.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 30 2006, 12:04 PM
Post #3

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Brian .... exactly what springs do you want to cut ... the rears .... cause the front does not have coil springs ... it has torsion bars.

Now if you stick your pointy little head underneath the car and look at the "A" arm inner pivot points, you will see that the rear of the torsion bar has this wonderful thing called an adjuster (one on each side too!) that will allow you to set the front ride height. The adjuster has a screw in it that can be rotated to raise or lower the front.

It might also be helpful if you would purchase a Haynes Manual and look at page 101, Figure 7.3 and page 106, Section 16

Thin air is getting to your grey cells?
+Quote Post
Elliot_Cannon
post Oct 30 2006, 12:09 PM
Post #4

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 480

Go to a book store and buy or order a "Haynes" manual for the 914. You can also maybe find one at the FLAPS (friendly local auto parts store). Lots of info in the book and I think it explains how to adjust the front end height. You may be able to order it at Amazon.com as well. Anyone who owns and/or maintanes a 914 should probably have this book.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 30 2006, 12:10 PM
Post #5

Summer's Commin...

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 30 2006, 11:04 AM) *

Brian .... exactly what springs do you want to cut ... the rears .... cause the front does not have coil springs ... it has torsion bars.

Now if you stick your pointy little head underneath the car and look at the "A" arm inner pivot points, you will see that the rear of the torsion bar has this wonderful thing called an adjuster (one on each side too!) that will allow you to set the front ride height. The adjuster has a screw in it that can be rotated to raise or lower the front.

It might also be helpful if you would purchase a Haynes Manual and look at page 101, Figure 7.3 and page 106, Section 16

Thin air is getting to your grey cells?

Mr. Smartass... Thank you for your directions.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I simply wanted to get across that I was not sure how to drop the front of the car, that is to say I am only familar with cutting springs in order to achieve this. I got your pointy head right here buddy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I do have a haynes manual, but I have found that this place holds moe knowedge then any manual....
Thanks Allan and Funny man for the assistance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Oct 30 2006, 12:15 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Mr. Smartass... Thank you for your directions.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
I simply wanted to get across that I was not sure how to drop the front of the car, that is to say I am only familar with cutting springs in order to achieve this. I got your pointy head right here buddy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I do have a haynes manual, but I have found that this place holds moe knowedge then any manual....
Thanks Allan and Funny man for the assistance. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
[/quote]

DON'T FORGET the alignment. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 30 2006, 12:16 PM
Post #7

Hey bud .... ya wanted to be a non-member .... suck it up and take the bashing .... you're past your "Newbie" status.
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 30 2006, 12:18 PM
Post #8

Summer's Commin...

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 30 2006, 11:16 AM) *

Hey bud .... ya wanted to be a non-member .... suck it up and take the bashing .... you're past your "Newbie" status.

I was just kiddin.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
Thanks Cap'n... Have that down..
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 30 2006, 12:30 PM
Post #9

And to futher enlighten you since Krusty reminded you of the alignment problem, we will proceed to Suspension Geometry 101A.

The camber and toe-in on an auto is generally set with the plane of the "A" arm and tie rods parallel to the ground. If you lower the vehicle a couple of things happen:

1. The ball joint is on a fixed length arm from the inner suspension attachment (pickup point). If the arm is parallel to the ground, any deviation of the pick up point will cause the ball joint to move toward the inner pick up point, thereby decreasing the initial camber set into the geometry. (the ball joint pickup scribes an arc around the inner pickup point).

2.) The tie-rod is hopefully parallel to the road surface also (in the rest postion). With any suspension movemenet, the tie rod end swings an arc aroung the inner attachment point at the rack (which is fixed on the carrier cross beam). Lowering the car moves the inner fixed attachment point downward and effectively shortens the arm (tie rod) which increases toe in.

So, when you lower the front end, you decrease the negtive camber and increase the toe in .....hence your car needs to be realigned for optimum driveability and tire wear. Though I do admit, after seeing you drive, I don't think anything can help (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif)

Sincerely,

Mr Funny Man
+Quote Post
Leo Imperial
post Oct 30 2006, 01:43 PM
Post #10

Do you have to use so many cuss words?

Member No.: 3,192

This should help.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 30 2006, 01:44 PM
Post #11

Summer's Commin...

QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Oct 30 2006, 12:43 PM) *

This should help.

Thanks Leo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Oct 30 2006, 02:29 PM
Post #12

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 30 2006, 11:04 AM) *

dag nabbit ron, i was just about to have some fun.
you could have at least told him to check under the radiator first (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Brian, it's a piece of cake. you can come and practice on my parts car if you want.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 30 2006, 03:38 PM
Post #13

Well, you could explain to him some of the finer points of my suspension discussion like

pick up point ..... that's where he stands on a corner sans shirt, flexing his miniscule muscles until some guy "picks him up" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Maybe he'll flex his muscles for you and wear his tool belt low on the hips.....
+Quote Post
jsteele22
post Oct 30 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 4,653

Well, I don't want to disagree with what's already been said, but there is an easier way. Take the the floor jack, jack stands, tool box, spare parts, rain cover, and AAA membership card out of the rear trunk one item at a time and place them in the front trunk until you like what you see. And remember, if the car was already out of alignment to begin with, there's a reasonable chance this will make it better. Spend the money you save on beer.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Oct 30 2006, 03:54 PM
Post #15

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/givemebeer.gif)
+Quote Post
TINCAN914
post Oct 30 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #16

Summer's Commin...

QUOTE(SLITS @ Oct 30 2006, 02:38 PM) *

Well, you could explain to him some of the finer points of my suspension discussion like

pick up point ..... that's where he stands on a corner sans shirt, flexing his miniscule muscles until some guy "picks him up" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)

Maybe he'll flex his muscles for you and wear his tool belt low on the hips.....

Not enough money... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Jeff I like your idea better. Much easier, and I cn buy more beer.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)
+Quote Post
JPB
post Oct 30 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #17

The Crimson Rocket smiles in your general direction.

Member No.: 5,107

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) And a little bit of ice and beer in the front trunk is good for ballancing also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th May 2024 - 01:42 PM