Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone ever install Eberspacher heater in 914?, OEM VW gas heater - freezin my ass off in MA!!
william harris
post Nov 3 2006, 08:26 AM
Post #1

914 Restorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,539

I really don't want to put the teener away until the snow falls. But this morning had me wondering about installing the Eberspacher heater - they made a version for the type 4 motor and Ark Mirvis from the Samba has them available. Anybody ever do this? In case you are wondering, I have no heat, Evo Headers without any heater box - in my humble experience the heat from the heat exchangers was minimal at best. Ideas?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 3 2006, 08:33 AM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Actually the stock heating/defrost system is fantastic from my experience. Its important to have the heat duct gaskets in place and the auxiliary fan, but there is enough heat to cook an egg in the cabin. With headers I guess you are SOL.

Webasto also made a gas heater for the 914, but I have never seen one other than these photos, from SirAndy:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
william harris
post Nov 3 2006, 08:41 AM
Post #3

914 Restorer

Hey Jeff: It was in the 20s in MA this morning. You guys in CA have no idea what real cold is. My neighbor was scraping the ice off his windshield when I pulled out of the garage. Yeah, the pursuit of HP lead to the decision to go with headers, although Chris does offer his own version of a heater box. Want a laugh, I have heating clothing for my Beemer - Gerbings heated vest and gloves and an adapter to plug them into the cig lighter. Toasty for me, the passenger will freeze - but to hell with them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Nov 3 2006, 08:45 AM
Post #4

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

I know what you go through, I lived in Omaha for awhile, no amount of clothing will keep the cold out...thats why I live on the west coast (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
+Quote Post
william harris
post Nov 3 2006, 08:51 AM
Post #5

914 Restorer

California Dreaming!!!! But heck, we got Kerry, Kennedy, Barney Frank, et. al. to make it that much more fun to be here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
+Quote Post
iamchappy
post Nov 3 2006, 09:00 AM
Post #6

It all happens so fast!

Member No.: 1,315
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I had the same problem here 17ยบ this morning, I do have an electric heater that I mounted to an extra ash tray I had that worked pretty good, I had to hard wire it to the battery, I put an electrical plug end on it and ran a extension cord type plug that was hard wired to the battery. I also picked up a very nice 1966 911 Eberspacher gas heater I was considering installing but instead choose to go the heat exchanger route which I also feel works very good. Let me know if your interested in this stuff as I have no use for it.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 3 2006, 11:28 AM
Post #7

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(william harris @ Nov 3 2006, 06:26 AM) *

had me wondering about installing the Eberspacher heater

go for it! i had one in my '74 bug, insane heat, like sauna hot on a -10C morning ...
set the timer to 1/2 hour before you want to leave and the car will be nice and toasty ...

they work great!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
william harris
post Nov 3 2006, 11:41 AM
Post #8

914 Restorer

Well, if nothing else it will give me something to work on during the long, long winter here in Massachusetts.
+Quote Post
reverie
post Nov 3 2006, 05:39 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 427

A reconditioned Eberspacher from Ark Mirvis would be awesome. I think the Eberspacher heat outlet (duct) goes directly into the cabin, in only one spot? It might be nice to connect the outlet to the stock tubing to direct the heat to other spots, but I don't know if that's necessary.

You could also check the local RV shops, to see what kind of auxiliary heaters they have.. just a thought.
+Quote Post
Gary
post Nov 3 2006, 06:24 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a gas version of one of these: Espar D1LC in a box. Haven't gotten around to installing it yet. With a -6 conversion, not a lot of other good options outside of the stock or the $2k PMS stainless heat exchangers.

I have an Ark-rebuilt unit in our bug too. Works great. He's a little pricey though - as I recall about $400 to rebuild my unit. I figured burning gasoline in the trunk warranted a qualified rebuild though.
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 3 2006, 11:24 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I also picked up a used Eberspacher gas heater (watch, the D series are for diesel fuel) to heat the 914-6 conversion. Eventually, I went with some heat exchangers and they work well but were expensive.

If someone has a good system in place with the gas heater, pictures would be appreciated. I don't believe anyone has actually seen the Eberspacher system installed in the 914s though.
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 4 2006, 12:13 AM
Post #12

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

I've never held or looked at a gas heater in person. Would it fit in the area where the relay board is? That would make ducting the heated air super easy, as well as fuel and electrical.
+Quote Post
turboman808
post Nov 4 2006, 03:14 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,505
Region Association: North East States

Think tomorrow is gonna be the last day of driving for me til next year

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 4 2006, 03:43 AM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(McMark @ Nov 3 2006, 10:13 PM) *

I've never held or looked at a gas heater in person. Would it fit in the area where the relay board is? That would make ducting the heated air super easy, as well as fuel and electrical.

I have the same one as George...next time you come on over, hopefully one of us will remember to take a look at at (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 06:49 AM