Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I added a firewall, Rules, rules, rules
URY914
post Nov 5 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #1

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

I'm running an a/x this coming weekend and these folks play by the rules. The SCCA Solo rules no less. I've been running my car w/out a firewall for about 2 years now and no one has ever said a word about it during pre-race tech. But this weekend will be different. Rules say I need a bulkhead between me and the engine to protect the driver from flames(!) and liquids. OK, they're right, t's time to do it.

I got me some .040 aluminum and started with a cardboard template. It's made using two big pieces and a removable center section. I also popped on some smaller pieces to fit against the inside of the body. It mounts so that the lower edge is on the engine side of the existing car's double walled bulkhead. This way any fluids will hit it and drain to the ground instead of draining to the interior of the car. It will also act as a heat shield between me and the engine. It can get pretty hot against my back when I'm sitting in that aluminum seat on the grid.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Nov 5 2006, 07:37 PM
Post #2

****************************************************************************************************

Closer...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Nov 5 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

nice work...

no bead rolling or anything for strength? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
URY914
post Nov 5 2006, 09:54 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Nov 5 2006, 06:00 PM) *

nice work...

no bead rolling or anything for strength? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No need to. It's as strong as it needs to be and not one bit mo' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike T
post Nov 6 2006, 06:40 AM
Post #5

can't 'member

Member No.: 161

That looks good to go Paul. The removable center part is a good idea. I have a similar panel on my car.

Good location for the power cutoff switch too.

Mike T
+Quote Post
URY914
post Nov 6 2006, 06:52 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Mike T @ Nov 6 2006, 04:40 AM) *

Good location for the power cutoff switch too.

Mike T

Thanks Mike. I like to be able to reach it from the driver's seat when I'm buckled in.

BTW, I added "trim-loc" to the top edge. It's the same stuff that is used around the door opening to cover the standing seam at the thershold plate. It finishes off a raw edge pretty well.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Nov 7 2006, 07:52 PM
Post #7

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Paul
As I read the rules that cutoff switch could get you in trouble with a
tech guy.
As read them, the idea is for the workers to get at the switch should you find yourself dirty side up and in lala land. You're also missing the triangle "off switch" marker.

It's been a real pleasure picking your nits. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Nov 7 2006, 08:48 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Nov 7 2006, 05:52 PM) *

Paul
As I read the rules that cutoff switch could get you in trouble with a
tech guy.
As read them, the idea is for the workers to get at the switch should you find yourself dirty side up and in lala land. You're also missing the triangle "off switch" marker.

It's been a real pleasure picking your nits. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

They can get to it if I'm upside down. Same as if it was at the base of a windshield.

True I don't have a "OFF" sticker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike T
post Nov 8 2006, 06:29 AM
Post #9

can't 'member

Member No.: 161

I knew it was in the wrong position per "the rules" but they seem to be written with a front mounted engine and battery in mind.

My battery now is in the passenger footwell but I will be moving it to the passenger seat area up against the firewall. My cutoff switch is mounted in the panel directly over the stock battery location at the base of the roll bar. Shorter cables, less weight.

Mike T
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 01:13 PM