Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> FI programming geek question, what chips do they use?
need4speed
post Nov 10 2003, 02:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 564

I'm still a drooler, but I may have my first 914 in a couple of weeks if things work out.

And I'm already dreaming of building my own FI system (though the car I'm looking at is a 1.8 with what the owner says is a good, working L-Jet system).

And I'm wondering - has anybody ever seen an FI brain that uses an FPGA chip, instead of a regular chip designed for the task?

A buddy of mine works at Xylinx, and he explained to me about these FPGA chips - mostly used in routers and stuff - it's basically a big array of programmable gates, and you can load a program on by physically configuring the gates a certain way, and then, instead of loading software in to run on the chip - the chip works as if it's a custom designed IC. I kind of thought I'd like to try using something like this - I'm not a really experienced programmer, but I have worked with computers for 12 years, and I've always wanted to take on a project like this.

Any thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
need4speed   FI programming geek question   Nov 10 2003, 02:22 PM
fiid   Most of everything built these days has a full-on ...   Nov 10 2003, 02:38 PM
Mueller   it sounds like a PLC but much smaller than the nor...   Nov 10 2003, 02:41 PM
SirAndy     Nov 10 2003, 02:59 PM
fiid   FPUs are for wusses. :-) You're right the CPU...   Nov 10 2003, 03:58 PM
sechszylinder   hilow, I'm using fpga's since 10 years an...   Nov 11 2003, 02:52 AM
jkeyzer   Andy - Did you ever code on the Amiga? I did not k...   Nov 11 2003, 10:22 AM
SirAndy   <...   Nov 11 2003, 12:48 PM
SirAndy  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:11 PM