Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI programming geek question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
need4speed
I'm still a drooler, but I may have my first 914 in a couple of weeks if things work out.

And I'm already dreaming of building my own FI system (though the car I'm looking at is a 1.8 with what the owner says is a good, working L-Jet system).

And I'm wondering - has anybody ever seen an FI brain that uses an FPGA chip, instead of a regular chip designed for the task?

A buddy of mine works at Xylinx, and he explained to me about these FPGA chips - mostly used in routers and stuff - it's basically a big array of programmable gates, and you can load a program on by physically configuring the gates a certain way, and then, instead of loading software in to run on the chip - the chip works as if it's a custom designed IC. I kind of thought I'd like to try using something like this - I'm not a really experienced programmer, but I have worked with computers for 12 years, and I've always wanted to take on a project like this.

Any thoughts?
fiid
Most of everything built these days has a full-on microprocessor. The Megasquirt is based on a variant of the 68000 that has embedded eeprom and some ram.

You could build one with an FPGA, but you're probably better off just going the microproc route. All your logic is then embedded in software and it's even easier to mess with.

Fiid.
Mueller
it sounds like a PLC but much smaller than the norm, not enough resolution if everything is either on or off
SirAndy
QUOTE(fiid @ Nov 10 2003, 12:38 PM)
The Megasquirt is based on a variant of the 68000 that has embedded eeprom and some ram.

yepp. a cheap-o 8-Bit 68000 clone. no FPU either. makes for fun floating point operations ...
good thing i used to do OS programming in assembler way before anyone even thought about a FPU cool.gif

Andy
fiid
FPUs are for wusses. :-)

You're right the CPU is a bit lame, but the new UltraMegaSquirt is going to be a lot better. They are taking their time over it though.

Fiid.
sechszylinder
hilow,

I'm using fpga's since 10 years and I can tell you that you need lots of experience using those circuits.
BTW FPGAs are programmable logic circuits and they are not really well suited for a FI brain.
Most FIs using mircoprocessors or highly integrated microcontrollers, like megasquirt which uses a
68hc908 (6800 derivative, 8-bit architecture, it's not a 68000 clone, even if there is only one zero
missing in the name wink.gif )

I would recommend to start with systems like megasquirt and if your are not satisfied then try to build your own ...

benno
mightyohm
Andy - Did you ever code on the Amiga?
I did not know you were such a hard core programmer. ASM, wow. pray.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Nov 11 2003, 08:22 AM)
Andy - Did you ever code on the Amiga?
I did not know you were such a hard core programmer.   ASM, wow.  :worship:

nope, i missed the whole amiga hype cool.gif
played some good games on them tho.

started out with a TRS-80 (anyone here remember those?) in '78.
then went on to the C64. did alot of ASM on that one, completely redid the kernel, shrank it to 2/3 (without loosing any functionality), then adding my own code.
added a assembler/disassembler and other "tools" to the kernel. made cracking games a piece of cake smile.gif
then on to the early PCs. then MAC. then SUN Spark. then (insert a lot of crap here .....)

after all these years, assembler code is still my favorite,
Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(sechszylinder @ Nov 11 2003, 12:52 AM)
Most FIs using mircoprocessors or highly integrated microcontrollers, like megasquirt which uses a
68hc908 (6800 derivative, 8-bit architecture, it's not a 68000 clone, even if there is only one zero
missing in the name wink.gif )

ooops, faux pas on my end.
somehow 68000 is stuck in my head. haven't done any ASM on those in years tho.
anywho, the MS cpu is 8 bit, which is kinda weak, but the good news is that they didn't fill up the kernel with too much stuff, still plenty of space in there for additional code ...

Andy
mightyohm
You hacked on the C64?! SWEET!!

I was either too young (my parents got a C64 when i was around age 6) or not exposed enough to the scene to ever get into it. I really wish I could have and I have huge respect for the people that did. Computers and computer programming was a lot more interesting back then in my opinion, but I am a hardware guy so I am biased towards hacking the hardware directly. You can't directly access much of anything anymore from what I am told although I have done pretty much no programming on the PC except under Linux.

I still load up some of the old Amiga demos on an emulator I have on my PC. When I was in high school I had an Amiga 2000 and then a 3000 (finally, a computer with a hard drive). I used to get on the net and read usenet, do irc, and browse with web with Amiga Mosaic. I finally switched to a Pentium 133 in 1996 but the Amiga still works. The C64 finally quit working this year.

Jeff
fiid
Amigas suck. Atari STs were better.

LOL
Hawktel
I had a Commie 64, and a trash 80. I'd never want to be a programmer. To much work for the money.
mightyohm
Your avatar makes it look like you still have a C64. lol3.gif
redshift
lmao!

I had a Comode, my first real computer was a Mac 512. laugh.gif

M
Hawktel
Ohh, you think its safe to Mock BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!

Okay maybe it is. I do need another avatar. I'll start looking.
need4speed
Okay, well, thanks for all the info and comments guys.
(just got word that the owner of the 914 changed his mind, doesn't want to trade sad.gif )

Oh well, another will come along some day. Gotta sell the Ghia first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.