Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Traqmate Data Acquisition Package, I give it a thumbs up!
nine14cats
post Nov 14 2006, 08:41 AM
Post #1

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Group: Members
Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

I thought I would provide some feedback for anyone looking at data acquistion units.

Greg Braun (race914) and I recently purchased Traqmate GPS systems. Greg can chime in here as well to give his impressions of the product. I've used it one day and I'm going to say this thing really is going to be a valuable learning tool. I like intuitive interfaces and the Traqmate is easy to use.

The sensor unit is smaller than a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and the display unit is the size of an eyeglass case. You can hardwire power to it, use a AA battery pack, or do as I did and plug into your cigarette lighter.

The canned graphs and analysis tools are very helpful and you can compare drivers, cars, lines etc., on any given track by downloading from the unit to your PC or e-mailing the files to other users and comparing that way as well.

As an example, I compared 2 laps of myself during different run sessions at Infineon Raceway this weekend in the Spec Boxster.

Here is what a lap comparison screenshot looks like. The blue dot and red dots represent me chasing myself and the relative car position at the same lap time:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Nov 14 2006, 08:43 AM
Post #2

Here's a closer shot of what is called segment analysis. I broke Infineon up into several segments. By putting in the segment markers, I am able to compare from session to session and lap to lap my times. This is extremely useful for suspension settings, tires pressures and compounds and trying different lines.

The green color represents acceleration, the red represents braking and the black is coasting or steady throttle. There is a sensitivity adjustment that allows finer granularity to the analysis of coasting (i.e. constant throttle versus feathering), but out of the box I'm using the defaults. I used to race motocross and you were taught accelerate or brake, never anything in between. Whole lot of coasting going on here....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Nov 14 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #3

So if I look at the data from segment 4 (Infineon's Carousel), the data shows that I was 2.7 seconds faster through this section in my fastest versus my average time. My entry speed to the carousel was almost identical at 84MPH, but I carried almost 11MPH more through it and my exit speed was almost 6MPH faster during my fastest segment. When you explode the view I can see that I took a slightly different line and that I was carrying 1.4 g's in the turn versus 1.0g's in my slower segment.

I carried momentum and kept my foot in it more.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Nov 14 2006, 09:09 AM
Post #4

What's also nice about the lap timer feature is that after initial setup you hit one button when you go out for your run and the GPS finds the start/finish line for you. You don't reset anything and you don't need a beacon out on the track.

I also purchased the Travvision option with the unit, which means my in car videos will soon have a speedometer and tach with g-load info at the bottom of the screen. In true 914Club fashion the Traqmate system is the cheapest of the full feature systems out there and I really like it.

Thanks,

Bill P.
+Quote Post
groot
post Nov 14 2006, 09:24 AM
Post #5

Dis member

Member No.: 1,444

Very cool!!!

The segment analysis looks to be easier to use with this unit compared to my AIM system.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Nov 14 2006, 12:22 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Nov 14 2006, 07:09 AM) *

What's also nice about the lap timer feature is that after initial setup you hit one button when you go out for your run and the GPS finds the start/finish line for you. You don't reset anything and you don't need a beacon out on the track.

I also purchased the Travvision option with the unit, which means my in car videos will soon have a speedometer and tach with g-load info at the bottom of the screen. In true 914Club fashion the Traqmate system is the cheapest of the full feature systems out there and I really like it.

Thanks,

Bill P.

That is such a great analysis tool Bill. So guessing you could also use that for Autox by just putting in a finish? Also just overlay the results on the autox map, segmented like you did for Infineon?

BTW if you could segment feet on the track you would also have your perfect brake analysis tool.

Of course we still need to do some old fashion brake testing to determine maximum braking from different speeds. Wish we had an autox school coming up so we could use the braking setup for testing.

Wonder if there is anyplace up at TH where you could set up a test?
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 14 2006, 01:18 PM
Post #7

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

That is really nice.

I kinda want one, now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

KT
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Nov 14 2006, 02:48 PM
Post #8

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

That is neat.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Nov 14 2006, 02:53 PM
Post #9

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

Uh...Bill,
wasn't this segment analysis for Sears?
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Nov 14 2006, 02:56 PM
Post #10

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Nov 14 2006, 12:53 PM) *

Uh...Bill,
wasn't this segment analysis for Sears?

Yep...you caught me!

The segment file does reflect Sears. When I downloaded the file from the in-car unit, I picked the Thunderhill folder by mistake. When it goes into the folder, it saves part of the name (i.e. Track) into the header. I haven't taken the time to edit it yet....this is all real time!

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 14 2006, 04:59 PM
Post #11

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

Tip of the iceberg my friend.. tip of the iceberg!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The light will go on for you now.. I know you LOVE numbers.. this is it!! No more guessing about what line works for YOU or what braking point.. you'll be able to see what works for YOU.

This is the first time I have seen screen shots from it.. it does appear easier than AIM and the such.

I really wish it had actual sensors however.. we would know his actual throttle input and not just "steady" or off.

The AIM system works in late model cars by tapping into the "K" line that runs to the computer and picks up the stock throttle position sensor signal as it goes back and forth to the brain. It uses this line for several different functions.

B

+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Nov 14 2006, 05:21 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Nov 14 2006, 02:59 PM) *

Tip of the iceberg my friend.. tip of the iceberg!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The light will go on for you now.. I know you LOVE numbers.. this is it!! No more guessing about what line works for YOU or what braking point.. you'll be able to see what works for YOU.

This is the first time I have seen screen shots from it.. it does appear easier than AIM and the such.

I really wish it had actual sensors however.. we would know his actual throttle input and not just "steady" or off.

The AIM system works in late model cars by tapping into the "K" line that runs to the computer and picks up the stock throttle position sensor signal as it goes back and forth to the brain. It uses this line for several different functions.

B

Traqmate has the ability to import these signals (both digital and analog). They require an intermmediate sensor to send the data to the box. I haven't had time to read through all of the instructions. My next step is to tap an injector signal or tach signal to make the RPM data collection functional in the unit.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 14 2006, 06:32 PM
Post #13

914 Freak!

That is good news. AIM taps into wires that go into the dash (they mount on the dash in front of the dash..)

How many data points can it pick up?

I would like see:

all 4 shocks
throttle position
brake pressure
steering wheel
wheel speed on all 4 corners (taps into the ABS system)

That is the bare minimum!

B
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 14 2006, 06:34 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

I would also suggest a small shift light just to the left of the dash pod. It can be hard to hear the car when loud 911's are near you.

Tapping into the tach wires is easy at the dash. I think it is "green"

B
+Quote Post
drew365
post Nov 14 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #15

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Looks good Bill. I was going to rouse you about the TH header but I see Dan got you first. I'm just starting to play around with the data I got from Laguna and Button Willow with my GX2. I plan on ordering the Track Vision software also. I was amazed to see I was pulling 1.5g in turn 9 at Laguna. The data really reinforces what the seat of your pants was trying to tell you. Can you hook your unit up to your ECU?
+Quote Post
TimT
post Nov 15 2006, 03:47 AM
Post #16

retired

Member No.: 313

I bought a DL90, then upgraded to a DL1 which are great dataloggers. I picked up those units before Traqmate was available.

If I were in the market for entry level dataloggers Id buy the Traqmate.

The trackvision software is great also. I helped them Beta test the product a few years ago.
+Quote Post
smdubovsky
post Nov 15 2006, 10:01 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 2,837
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

TimT/Others,
As you know, the DL1 is better than the Traqmate. I've only seen the DL1, but have borrowed a Traqmate and played w/ it in my racecar. It has some shortcomings:
1) The inputs are limited. Something like 4 analog + 2digital + tach? It took them FOREVER to support external sensors (and wouldn't tell you how many there were until it was released). Good for starters, but not for what Brad wants it to do.
2) It took them FOREVER to support GPS drift compensation (the latest ver just added it). It was impossible to compare files day-to-day w/o it.
3) They have very limited filtering on the inputs. I suspect the 1.5G really isn't (likely just bumps.) It should be programmable.
4) You can't "zero" the accelerometers. If its installed w/ any tilt at all then it puts "jaggies" in all your plots as the GPS is constantly correcting the accelerometer data.
5) When you delete data sets w/ the display unit, they dont REALLY clear. You have to delete them in two places (argh!!) I couldn't capture any data the second day because of this.
6) Their tech support sucks ass! I've both emailed and called and was prety much told to suck it. I was told they are one sales guy, and two tech guys. A tiny company for sure.

If I already didn't know someone w/ the traqmate, Id definately look at the G2X for an entry level product (or spend even more for the DL1). Both bigger companies w/ FAR more experience behind the product & software. The G2X also has a shift light built in. The vnet sensors are more expensive, but looks like it can be expanded further.

ALL that being said. Just knowing qualifying times (in realtime) is worth the price of admission. Until they add some more filtering to the software, the other data is harder to use than it should.

Best,
SMD
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 15 2006, 11:35 AM
Post #18

914 Freak!

6) Their tech support sucks ass! I've both emailed and called and was prety much told to suck it. I was told they are one sales guy, and two tech guys. A tiny company for sure.

I forgot how important this was..LOL.. When a new vendor comes to us and does a "dog and pony show" for us.. I call their tech support line while they are giving the preso and make up an issue on their product to see if they can help me quickly. Most of the time they fail.

Thanks for the heads up Stephen. I know you are extremely thorough with this stuff.

And.. yes.. I have a box that STILL needs to go out for you. I setup the club UPS account a few weeks back. I should be able to get those headers out to you before 2008

B
+Quote Post
race914
post Nov 15 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #19

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

Been away on business travel and just caught up with this thread....

The TraqMate system is ideal for instructors, just bring it with you for your student's run, stick the magnetic mount GPS antennae on & go!
After the run, shows your students immediately: lines; braking; COASTING; acceleration, and cornering G-Forces. What an invaluable tool! Even showed I was 'offline' one time returning to my pit spot! (in my defense there was a stalled Lotus 7 in the way!)

Data Analysis Software is great. I agree with Bill that the Segment Analysis quickly points out areas for improvement. (mine was defective however and showed too much coasting when things got hairy off camber & G force wise.. e.g turn 9 at Seca (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) )

Video Integration is simple and provides "Speed Channel F1" quality videos! Made my videos much more useful having the G circle, RPM & MPH overlaid.

Bill & I plan to exchange datasets so we can compare driving styles, car differences, etc. (Thus throwing Nitro on the 4 v.s. 6 debate I'm sure!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

If any of you watch Dream Car Garage or Sports Car Revolution on Speed, you'll see the TraqMate in action...

Ease of install 10+
Value of analysis software 10+
Ability to collect 100s of channels of data 7 (but if you aren't F1, do you need it?)

Overall rating for price/performance for the amatuer racer: 10

Can't think of a better way to help a student than to show him real data in a graphic form.

Can't think of a better way to help yourself than to see real data in a graphic form.

My next steps? Going to hookup Oil Temp & EGR data next to help solve my high temp issues

PEACE/OUT L8R

+Quote Post
TimT
post Nov 15 2006, 05:15 PM
Post #20

retired

Member No.: 313

Here are some screenshots showing the trackvision software overlay, using DL1 data.

This was at Summit Point last year

Attached Image

this next pic shows the importance of setting the camera focus on infinity, rather than leaving auto-focus on. My camera kept focusing on the stone chips in the windshield (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Attached Image

I agree on the Traqmate being a good entry level data-logger, The display is what does it for me, with the DL series you have to download and process the data, unless you get the Race-Technology dash ($1000)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:09 PM