Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Today everything changed...., Now we're ROLLING!!! Lifters that is!
Jake Raby
post Nov 17 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #21

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Scott,
DTM Engineering just south of Atlanta is my premier installer. They know my products and install about 40% of my engines- these same guys built my 550 Spyder earlier this year because I didn't have time to do more than the engine and tranny.. Email me if you are game engines@aircooledtechnology.com I am ready to build one of these engines right now (Like next week!)

snug,
No biggie.. what you need to realize is that a 2056 150HP engine only has a 2mm overbore and stock stroke. That combo is generally not capable of more than 130HP to remain drivable and reliable and this is a VERY small engine..

In a 2270 we can expect well over 200 ponies at less than 6,000 RPM needed to attain- its not just the power, its how its made and how it retains drivability and longevity. The torque is also a HUGE difference with rollers- I expect a 20%+ torque boost with these combos..

The other aspect is cost, a smaller engine making bigger power for LESS money...

These rollers will also make engines larger than 2600 cc easier to make more efficient as well as easier to build making them more effective..

I have the following roller projects underway now:
Revamp of my 2,980 test engine with 52mm IDA carbs, my billet heads and of course the roller cam- looking for 260 ponies and total daily drivability for my 912E

2.4L Twin plugged EFI/direct fire roller with Ti rods for an RSK project looking for 270HP and 9,000 RPM capability

2.9L Twin plugged EFI Roller for a Karmann Ghia- looking for 250HP below 6,000 RPM

3.2L EFI roller with some really wicked twisted wedge heads that LN Engineering and I are developing and have been for a LONG time. This is a truly crazy project with 107mm cylinders! It belongs in a shortened split window VW Bus.

The last one is just about to get inder way.. Its a 2.5L Turbo with Motec injection, rollers, twisted wedge heads and some very special cylinders that LN Engineering and I are working with to match the new heads. The car it belongs in is a Herbie replica made from 100% carbon fiber and pulled from molds used bought from Disney specifically for the project. It'll be sitting atop a full tube chassis with 993 suspension and brakes... But its not a race car, its a street car with air conditioning!
This engine will produce 700HP or it won't leave my shop. It'll by far be the baddest Beetle ever built certainly worthy of the title "Herbie Extreme II)... HX1 is already 2270 EFI/direct fire equipped, but its not fast enough..

Now you can se why I need to get these bad boys developed ASAP!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Nov 17 2006, 10:12 PM
Post #22

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

But its not a race car, its a street car with air conditioning!
This engine will produce 700HP or it won't leave my shop.

let me just be the first person to say......

that is fucking insane.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 17 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #23

Engine Surgeon

The crazy part is the Pankl Titanium rods being sourced from Porsche directly... The same rods are used in Carrera GT engines- we are using the same rod journals and stroke..

The entire body for the car should weigh less than SIXTY pounds (Carbon fiber/kevlar)... The mold is on the way to my shop as we speak...
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Nov 17 2006, 10:24 PM
Post #24

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Holy crap..

That sounds like a car that is just plain scary to drive.. What trani?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 17 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #25

Engine Surgeon

Mendeola MD4ES tranny with hydraulic sequential shift actuation..

My entire network is teaming up to build this car from chassis to engine it'll all be built within 50 miles of my shop..
+Quote Post
BK911
post Nov 17 2006, 10:29 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,674
Region Association: None

Jake, I tried to PM you buy it was rejected. Here's what I tried to PM you:

Hey Jake, I have been loosely following some of your posts. You definitely seem to be a pioneer in the development of some good stuff. I am an engineering grad student studying high performance engine design at the University of Central Florida. All I have left to do before I graduate is a research project. I was wondering (hoping) maybe there was something you needed help with. I have access to a dyno, a smoketron and a spintron. The smoketron uses an electric motor to spin an engine to determine parasitic loses. The spintron spins the valve assembly and gives comparitive Hp numbers for different top end configurations. None of these are set up for VW or Porsche engines, but I also have access to a machine shop to fabricate adapters. If you can think of an area that I could help out in, please let me know. I am looking for ideas for my research project, and if it benefits others even better. Free research! I am definitely an air cooled nut and own several early 911's and a 914. My email is bkolar (at) grgce.com.

I would also love to be a test mule on one of your engines!

BTW, most of our research is catered to various NASCAR teams, so I know all about discretion.

Thanks,
Brian
+Quote Post
snflupigus
post Nov 17 2006, 11:46 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 4,163
Region Association: None

carbon fibre bug... basic shell on a tube chasis or carbon fiber unibody on a buglike tubed frame with that suspension?

If the later, why isnt there a 914 like this but there IS a bug!

and I'm feelin better knowing that the 2270 makes over 200hp (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

20% torque increase will be nice... what would that put these engines up to??
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Nov 18 2006, 09:05 AM
Post #28

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 17 2006, 02:31 PM) *

They have a lot more development that is required before ever being released, but today was a major boost! The next step is to build two test engines and dyno them till they break..

I think I can help you here Jake. With all the research going on at Air Cooled Technology, plus the new race program, there just won't be enought dyno time. What I can do is purchase your complete SDS system with data logger and run one of the engines for you.

This could free up dyno time at the shop so you and Len could work on the next generation Type IV motor with Over Head Cams.

Always trying to do what I can to help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 18 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #29

Engine Surgeon

BK911, If you know solid works I can definately put you on a very interesting project that makes these roller cams look like child's play... Most of the project is finished and we only need to complete some small issues and finish the design. email me at productdevelopment@aircooledtechnology.com

snflupigus,
The mold that was bought from Disney was used for the Herbie movies. It is an exact recreation of a 1963 ragtop beetle. The chassis is being built by one of my fabrication shops, Tarmac Motorsports. They do a lot of high end chassis fab work for several different race series and will be building the entire chassis from chromoly tubing. The beetle body will be sitting atop the entire chassis. The 993 parts being used are trailing arms and front suspension parts that will be integrated into the chassis.

FYI- 1.5 years ago I finished an engine for a teener owner that was building a C/F bodied 914. The engine is complete but the car is not because his wife passed away and broke his concentration seriously..

Beetle owners are much more serious about their projects than teeners- all of my crazy engines are installed into VWs :-)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Nov 18 2006, 10:02 AM
Post #30

Engine Surgeon

Greg,
That may be a possibility but a lot of factors add into the equation..

The main factor is just getting the "bugs" worked out of the arrangement..

I already have a customer that will be doing a cross country trek with one of these engines very soon after I get the development completed to a satisfacory level.. Having two dynos will now make long term developments like this much easier as we can continue with business as usual with the old dyno and then use the new unit to keep engines bolted up for months if needed..
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 02:49 AM