Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Today everything changed....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jake Raby
After 5 months of busting ass the final prototypes are completed...

In the pics attached you'll see the roller cams and lifters that will help to boost the TIV even higher in 2007 and beyond...

In one of them you'll see a roller cam thats only 2 degrees altered from it's flat tappet cousin side by side for comparison- they'll be getting tested the same way- back to back.... The roller cam is also only .010 healthier on lift than the flat tappet, but look at how much of a difference the lobes have....

I posted more pics and text over on my forums, but thought that grant and trekkor would like to see these so they could start their bashing before they were even tested.. They'll need the head start.

SirAndy
smilie_pokal.gif
So.Cal.914
I can't wait to hear more. thumb3d.gif
McMark
Those be some crazy lobes! happy11.gif
Jake Raby
Honkin big!!
I look for 20% more torque from these bad boyz!!!

As well as 2056 engines as strong as last years 2270s!
So.Cal.914
What do you think a set will cost, I know it's a guess but I want one so it's

time to save now.
TravisNeff
So the big power differences are going to be due to the increased ramp speed?
Jake Raby
The two posted in the pic have cost about 8,000 bucks to make from start to finish along with tooling and their lifters!!!!!

I am still only planning on these being available in complete engines at this stage. I'd hate for them to fall into the wrong hands..

They have a lot more development that is required before ever being released, but today was a major boost! The next step is to build two test engines and dyno them till they break..
william harris
The 914 gods approve! smilie_pokal.gif My 2056 has plenty of power and sounds real good with the Chris Foley Evo exhaust heralding its way. Your cam work, combined with the head work by Hoffman have just totally transformed the Type IV. I can't imagine how much fun 20% more torque would be. aktion035.gif
Mueller
nice.....

why the copper plating?

TROJANMAN
$8 grand??!!!!

Don't you know i could buy 7 six cylinder engines for that much happy11.gif
McMark
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Nov 17 2006, 01:37 PM) *

$8 grand??!!!!

Don't you know i could buy 7 six cylinder engines for that much happy11.gif

av-943.gif That's some funny shit.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 17 2006, 01:31 PM) *

I am still only planning on these being available in complete engines at this stage. I'd hate for them to fall into the wrong hands..

It would be a little difficult for it to fall into the wrong hands when its in my engine but I understand your concerns.

Sure looks like horsepower to me, I hope you reconsider some of us insist on
building our own engines.

Aaron Cox
jake, those are SOME CRAZY ramps!!!very cool!!!!

so they have a 'bushing' that keeps em straight.. keyway style. nice!!!

cant wait to see some results!!!

hope you can recoup the investment quickly, so you will sell them to the public smile.gif
Jake Raby
The copper plating keeps the heat treat from penetrating into the shank of the cam, making it brittle and easy to snap..

That 8K doesn't include the 10,000 in tooling needed to ensure the cases are true and also to repair the cases that are not.

This is very critical work, one thousandth is a mile..

As always the engine shop will retain these entirely for at least two years then we'll see about sales to the public..
Thats IF they work out...

It won't be the first time I spent months developing something that didn't work, if thats what happens....

JPB
SCHWING!! Now your talking mister. beer.gif
SGB
this is THE CATALYST.
Its GOOD to have pushrods now. OHC, bah. All that extra weight and machinery. These pups will flat out (haha bad pun) resonate in there! Its so simple. Oh I want one so bad, and not just this new improved heart i want the whole monster assembled by Dr. Rabystien himself. Bwaahahahaha!
Jake Raby
Thanks Scott...

You are "Local" enough to be a very effective guinea pig...

Whaddya say to a 9.5:1-150HP 7,500 + RPM 2056?? Thats the reality with these bad boys and LE 200 heads..
snflupigus
Jake, I love (and i mean LOVE) your dedication to this and engineering new things etc... in general so dont take this the wrong way. I understand some guys just want something different.

But,

Am I the only guy out there who doesnt get excited about 150hp? Why would all these sort of developments for the type4 make only 150hp?? (or is that just an 2.0)

And again, dont get me wrong, if somebody was handing out engines and I had to choose between a p.six, a suby, or a raby 4 etc..... I'd take the Raby just to hear it.

I'm just boggled at why it doesnt make way north of 200hp.
SGB
When do I need to be ready? Don't you have a prefered installation shop, or should I come with a truck?

we need a drooling smilie.

In all honesty,I'll certainly pay for installation and maintain all needed records. Are you serious? I can come start sweeping the shop every night starting next week...
Jake Raby
Scott,
DTM Engineering just south of Atlanta is my premier installer. They know my products and install about 40% of my engines- these same guys built my 550 Spyder earlier this year because I didn't have time to do more than the engine and tranny.. Email me if you are game engines@aircooledtechnology.com I am ready to build one of these engines right now (Like next week!)

snug,
No biggie.. what you need to realize is that a 2056 150HP engine only has a 2mm overbore and stock stroke. That combo is generally not capable of more than 130HP to remain drivable and reliable and this is a VERY small engine..

In a 2270 we can expect well over 200 ponies at less than 6,000 RPM needed to attain- its not just the power, its how its made and how it retains drivability and longevity. The torque is also a HUGE difference with rollers- I expect a 20%+ torque boost with these combos..

The other aspect is cost, a smaller engine making bigger power for LESS money...

These rollers will also make engines larger than 2600 cc easier to make more efficient as well as easier to build making them more effective..

I have the following roller projects underway now:
Revamp of my 2,980 test engine with 52mm IDA carbs, my billet heads and of course the roller cam- looking for 260 ponies and total daily drivability for my 912E

2.4L Twin plugged EFI/direct fire roller with Ti rods for an RSK project looking for 270HP and 9,000 RPM capability

2.9L Twin plugged EFI Roller for a Karmann Ghia- looking for 250HP below 6,000 RPM

3.2L EFI roller with some really wicked twisted wedge heads that LN Engineering and I are developing and have been for a LONG time. This is a truly crazy project with 107mm cylinders! It belongs in a shortened split window VW Bus.

The last one is just about to get inder way.. Its a 2.5L Turbo with Motec injection, rollers, twisted wedge heads and some very special cylinders that LN Engineering and I are working with to match the new heads. The car it belongs in is a Herbie replica made from 100% carbon fiber and pulled from molds used bought from Disney specifically for the project. It'll be sitting atop a full tube chassis with 993 suspension and brakes... But its not a race car, its a street car with air conditioning!
This engine will produce 700HP or it won't leave my shop. It'll by far be the baddest Beetle ever built certainly worthy of the title "Herbie Extreme II)... HX1 is already 2270 EFI/direct fire equipped, but its not fast enough..

Now you can se why I need to get these bad boys developed ASAP!
nebreitling
But its not a race car, its a street car with air conditioning!
This engine will produce 700HP or it won't leave my shop.

let me just be the first person to say......

that is fucking insane.
Jake Raby
The crazy part is the Pankl Titanium rods being sourced from Porsche directly... The same rods are used in Carrera GT engines- we are using the same rod journals and stroke..

The entire body for the car should weigh less than SIXTY pounds (Carbon fiber/kevlar)... The mold is on the way to my shop as we speak...
Andyrew
Holy crap..

That sounds like a car that is just plain scary to drive.. What trani?
Jake Raby
Mendeola MD4ES tranny with hydraulic sequential shift actuation..

My entire network is teaming up to build this car from chassis to engine it'll all be built within 50 miles of my shop..
BK911
Jake, I tried to PM you buy it was rejected. Here's what I tried to PM you:

Hey Jake, I have been loosely following some of your posts. You definitely seem to be a pioneer in the development of some good stuff. I am an engineering grad student studying high performance engine design at the University of Central Florida. All I have left to do before I graduate is a research project. I was wondering (hoping) maybe there was something you needed help with. I have access to a dyno, a smoketron and a spintron. The smoketron uses an electric motor to spin an engine to determine parasitic loses. The spintron spins the valve assembly and gives comparitive Hp numbers for different top end configurations. None of these are set up for VW or Porsche engines, but I also have access to a machine shop to fabricate adapters. If you can think of an area that I could help out in, please let me know. I am looking for ideas for my research project, and if it benefits others even better. Free research! I am definitely an air cooled nut and own several early 911's and a 914. My email is bkolar (at) grgce.com.

I would also love to be a test mule on one of your engines!

BTW, most of our research is catered to various NASCAR teams, so I know all about discretion.

Thanks,
Brian
snflupigus
carbon fibre bug... basic shell on a tube chasis or carbon fiber unibody on a buglike tubed frame with that suspension?

If the later, why isnt there a 914 like this but there IS a bug!

and I'm feelin better knowing that the 2270 makes over 200hp smile.gif

20% torque increase will be nice... what would that put these engines up to??
gregrobbins
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Nov 17 2006, 02:31 PM) *

They have a lot more development that is required before ever being released, but today was a major boost! The next step is to build two test engines and dyno them till they break..

I think I can help you here Jake. With all the research going on at Air Cooled Technology, plus the new race program, there just won't be enought dyno time. What I can do is purchase your complete SDS system with data logger and run one of the engines for you.

This could free up dyno time at the shop so you and Len could work on the next generation Type IV motor with Over Head Cams.

Always trying to do what I can to help. biggrin.gif
Jake Raby
BK911, If you know solid works I can definately put you on a very interesting project that makes these roller cams look like child's play... Most of the project is finished and we only need to complete some small issues and finish the design. email me at productdevelopment@aircooledtechnology.com

snflupigus,
The mold that was bought from Disney was used for the Herbie movies. It is an exact recreation of a 1963 ragtop beetle. The chassis is being built by one of my fabrication shops, Tarmac Motorsports. They do a lot of high end chassis fab work for several different race series and will be building the entire chassis from chromoly tubing. The beetle body will be sitting atop the entire chassis. The 993 parts being used are trailing arms and front suspension parts that will be integrated into the chassis.

FYI- 1.5 years ago I finished an engine for a teener owner that was building a C/F bodied 914. The engine is complete but the car is not because his wife passed away and broke his concentration seriously..

Beetle owners are much more serious about their projects than teeners- all of my crazy engines are installed into VWs :-)
Jake Raby
Greg,
That may be a possibility but a lot of factors add into the equation..

The main factor is just getting the "bugs" worked out of the arrangement..

I already have a customer that will be doing a cross country trek with one of these engines very soon after I get the development completed to a satisfacory level.. Having two dynos will now make long term developments like this much easier as we can continue with business as usual with the old dyno and then use the new unit to keep engines bolted up for months if needed..
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.