Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Front & Rear Bumpers, All years
914runnow
post Apr 14 2009, 11:20 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,948
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Jlance @ Apr 13 2009, 04:52 PM) *

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 20 2007, 12:40 PM) *

Hi all,

Here's front & rear bumpers on my 1974 914-4 car. Notice on the rear bumper the small dia. hole plug for the tow eye. On my car it's (original) chromed plastic. I've tried to find another & never found one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Tom

hi, just bought a 75 914 and wanting to put those bumpers on. what am i looking for and where's the best place to find them? yours look great!

Cutting-Drilling-repainting-grinding-secure parts-plug holes-
rechrome-top rubber caps secure-oooooopsssss then
another set of fogs and grills....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
(the horns can still stay below....)Put some WTB's out there
and check the classic threads for a retro fit....Good Luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 16 2009, 01:45 AM
Post #62

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 16 2009, 01:52 AM
Post #63

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Apr 18 2009, 07:18 AM
Post #64

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I had a '73 a long time ago and I took the chrome front bumper to a body shop and asked them to send it out to their bumper repair shop (outside contractor) and have the minor dent removed (some fool backing into it) and while they were at it to fill the license plate holes and bumper tit holes. It came back a week later and looked perfect. They straightened it, welded up the holes and re-chromed the whole thing. Just a thought.
+Quote Post
TedK
post Apr 18 2009, 09:52 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 7,961

If you are not in a hurry, bumpers do show up for sale in much better condition than those. Hell, I gave away an extra rear bumper that just needed re-chroming.
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 18 2009, 07:42 PM
Post #66

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I've seen some just about that bad that have been made perfect.

It won't be cheap, but a very good metal person can make it happen.

You will be very lucky to find undamaged bumpers that won't need any work. If you find damaged ones, even though not as severe as yours, you'll pay the price to bring them back. Will you save money? Maybe, but doubtful.

I'd ask aroung my locale for the best metal bender & go talk to him.

Though it was a long time ago, what did you do with in insurance money you got?

Should have gotten new ones then, when they were still available.
Pat
+Quote Post
Tman914
post Apr 18 2009, 09:59 PM
Post #67

Member No.: 3,247
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ Jan 20 2007, 01:40 PM) *

Hi all,

Here's front & rear bumpers on my 1974 914-4 car. Notice on the rear bumper the small dia. hole plug for the tow eye. On my car it's (original) chromed plastic. I've tried to find another & never found one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

Tom

Yo tom
nice pic I noticed your exhaust system what are you running on that 914-4
+Quote Post
914runnow
post Apr 19 2009, 12:31 AM
Post #68

Member No.: 1,948

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 15 2009, 11:45 PM) *

Okay Folks - here's a question about the restorability of damaged chrome bumpers vs. finding used ones as parts or on a parts car. This is a more critical issue now that these chrome bumpers are NLA for both front & back at this point!

My `73 2L with appearance group was damaged front & rear when hit in a parking structure in 5/`85 & has been stored since. Last week I unburied the car in the garage & pulled the bumpers & a few other parts to do an assessment of what I'm up against. I've posted pix of the damaged front & rear chrome bumpers below, but this is my first attempt at posting pix here - so please excuse any faux pas.

I'm seeking opinions on whether or not these can & should be straightened & repaired???? Thanx in Advance!

....or whether I'd be better off looking for some straighter ones on a parts car or parts???

DAMAGED FRONT CHROMIE:
Attached Image

DAMAGED REAR CHROMIE: - see next post....

Welllllll twas me I would go for good cond bumps and replate those..
your smushed ones might not line up when done as those are prettttttty
tweaked.....plus the top rubber caps also will not have hole alignment problems....
was their ins monies??...Plus you can get an early 70 71 72 and eliminate
the bumperettes in the front...UNLESS keeping concour...put some WTB ..Bumps and see what comes across for offers!!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 19 2009, 05:14 AM
Post #69

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 19 2009, 05:30 AM
Post #70

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 19 2009, 05:43 AM
Post #71

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 21 2009, 06:08 PM
Post #72

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 19 2009, 05:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 18 2009, 06:42 PM) *

You will be very lucky to find undamaged bumpers that won't need any work. If you find damaged ones, even though not as severe as yours, you'll pay the price to bring them back. Will you save money? Maybe, but doubtful.

Pat

Used to be that the bumper/re-chromer shops around here had jigs that they used to get 914 bumpers back into proper shape, but I don't know if they still do anymore!?

Yuppers - hindsight is 20:20 or better! I could've gotten ALL new rubber, chrome & body panels back then for $4500, & I did eventually get the guilty party's Daddy's insurance company to pay the full $6500+ estimate! ...but as I said in my other reply, I was finishing Grad School, starting a family, and decided to buy the BMW with a back seat for the family - then "take my time" to locate a parts car to cut the cost of the repairs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

...I think 24 years is enough time to "take" & to do without my teener - don't you!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

...assuming that was a "yes" I just heard you nod, please tell my wife so too, plus reinforce that it'll be an "extra" car when my son needs to go soomewhere in one of the other 2, while your at it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

...and BTW - I'll be taking your rocker panel instructions up as soon as I can get to them!

Yeah, I can understand. You do what's needed at the time.

Remember when I was about to get out of grad school - drove the 914 every night (I was working full time). We had a Harvard approach, so we stayed as a group until security sent us packing. One night in February, I was on campus untill 11:30, before the cops sent us packing. Went to my 914 & the locks were frozen! Thought they just needed some warm air, so I locked my lips on the handle & proceeded to blow air into the lock. I swear this is true! It was about 20 degrees.

Lips froze on the door latch! Tongue froze on the keyhole! No one around - thankfully!

After a bit of panic, I thought - blow what hot air you have from your guts. Did so. it worked. First the tongue came off, then (slowly) the lips.

Key worked the door after that, but I had the worst case of chapped lips ever.

Then I found WD40.

True story & sorry for the hijack - when you become older these things just come back from nowhere.

Grad school was such a hoot! Yeppir, fond memories.
Pat
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 22 2009, 10:42 PM
Post #73

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 25 2009, 07:34 PM
Post #74

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 22 2009, 10:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 21 2009, 05:08 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 19 2009, 05:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Apr 18 2009, 06:42 PM) *

Pat

Used to be that the bumper/re-chromer shops around here had jigs that they used to get 914 bumpers back into proper shape, but I don't know if they still do anymore!?

Yuppers - hindsight is 20:20 or better! I could've gotten ALL new rubber, chrome & body panels back then for $4500, & I did eventually get the guilty party's Daddy's insurance company to pay the full $6500+ estimate! ...but as I said in my other reply, I was finishing Grad School, starting a family, and decided to buy the BMW with a back seat for the family - then "take my time" to locate a parts car to cut the cost of the repairs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

...I think 24 years is enough time to "take" & to do without my teener - don't you!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

...assuming that was a "yes" I just heard you nod, please tell my wife so too, plus reinforce that it'll be an "extra" car when my son needs to go soomewhere in one of the other 2, while your at it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

...and BTW - I'll be taking your rocker panel instructions up as soon as I can get to them!

Yeah, I can understand. You do what's needed at the time.

Remember when I was about to get out of grad school - drove the 914 every night (I was working full time). We had a Harvard approach, so we stayed as a group until security sent us packing. One night in February, I was on campus untill 11:30, before the cops sent us packing. Went to my 914 & the locks were frozen! Thought they just needed some warm air, so I locked my lips on the handle & proceeded to blow air into the lock. I swear this is true! It was about 20 degrees.

Lips froze on the door latch! Tongue froze on the keyhole! No one around - thankfully!

After a bit of panic, I thought - blow what hot air you have from your guts. Did so. it worked. First the tongue came off, then (slowly) the lips.

Key worked the door after that, but I had the worst case of chapped lips ever.

Then I found WD40.

True story & sorry for the hijack - when you become older these things just come back from nowhere.

Grad school was such a hoot! Yeppir, fond memories.
Pat

Geez Pat, you missed your calling, you shoulda been on Red Skelton, Carol Burnett or something! It's taken me 2 days to stop giggling every time I think of this story! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

So has the WD40 helped your chapped lips over the years? I've only used it on metal parts - never tried it that way, but I suppose the oil in it would add emollients!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

My 914 was wacked while I was in Grad School MBA classes too - starting at 8 am thru to 11:30 also - jammed them into 2 - 2.5 days a week, ran my business the others & drove 50 miles each way from OC to UCLA! So I know the drill you did all too well! Grad School was fun - except for the mashed 914 by a dizzy Sorority gal! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

I THINK THAT I can find a parts car around SoCal with straight deck lids, headlight, other body parts & chrome bumpers in need of hopefully no more than clean-up & re-chroming for around $500, & maybe even some of the other rubber parts would be usable for the NLAs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif)

Umm, Tom - be forewarned!

Even if you have a straight bumper that needs re-chroming, it's going to cost you plenty! Decent chrome shops are out there, but thecosts they accumulate for disposal of hazardous materials are drilled down to the customer. Chroming is a very nasty business! My father-in-law (now deceased) sold his plating business in the early 90's because of the costs associated.

Unfortunately, we early teeners have big slabs of steel fore & aft that require immense amounts of nasty chemicals to re-plate them. Expect high costs!
Pat

ps: I've gone to Chapstick. WD40 gave me the farts!
+Quote Post
HOF porsche914
post Jul 26 2009, 09:00 PM
Post #75

HOF Porsche914

Member No.: 9,825

My rear bumper on my 1976 914 has a round hole on the left side...can't find a plug/cover for it, any ideas?, Thanks
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Jul 27 2009, 09:06 PM
Post #76

QUOTE(HOF porsche914 @ Jul 26 2009, 09:00 PM) *

My rear bumper on my 1976 914 has a round hole on the left side...can't find a plug/cover for it, any ideas?, Thanks

I have a '72, but believe your plug is a tow hook cover. Shouldn't be too diff to find (Auto Atlanta, Pelican Parts, the classifieds here.

Welcome, and thank you, thank you for posting your question in the correct thread!
Pat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
HOF porsche914
post Jul 27 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #77

HOF Porsche914

Member No.: 9,825

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 27 2009, 11:06 PM) *

I have a '72, but believe your plug is a tow hook cover. Shouldn't be too diff to find (Auto Atlanta, Pelican Parts, the classifieds here.

Welcome, and thank you, thank you for posting your question in the correct thread!

Thank alot
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jan 28 2010, 05:41 PM
Post #78

Member No.: 8,476

QUOTE(HOF porsche914 @ Jul 27 2009, 08:57 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 27 2009, 11:06 PM) *

Thank alot

Try www.caplugs.com. They offer free samples & might have something you like. Maybe.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jan 28 2010, 07:22 PM
Post #79

TMI....

EDITED - DELETE
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Jan 29 2010, 11:39 AM
Post #80

Member No.: 8,476

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 28 2010, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 27 2009, 07:06 PM) *

Yup - that's the hole so you can screw the oval tow hook from the tool kit into the back bumper receptacle (actually a rear body panel attachemet inside the bumper shell).

They came with a black plastic plug for 75-76 & on any 70-74 black painted steel early bumpers, or painted to body color for 70-72, or chrome (plasti-chrome) with 70-74 chrome bumpers.

The plugs link above wants to sell huge quantities, so you might want to try the local Pep Boys or Kragen/O'Reilly, Checker, etc. for some of their misc caps, as I understand from SoCalAndy on here that he found a chrome one to fit his 72 at the local Pep Boys, so someone may also have black too.

They do offer free samples. I've used these guys several times. FYI. Cheers.
+Quote Post

6 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:14 PM