Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Bummer, Something stuck in my eye, Wear eye protection
DNHunt
post Nov 12 2003, 11:33 AM
Post #1

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

Got something stuck in my eye. It's been bugging me since yesterday. Went to the office today and my eye is so full of tears that I can't see well. Not good for dentist. Add a day's missed work and I'm not saving any money doing it myself.

Before everyone says "What a dumb Sh*t". I was wearing my safety glasses from work. Something must have got around or under the side shield. Brought home a pair of goggles that fit over my glasses for the future.

So off to the opthamologist. Hopefully I will be able to work tomorrow.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
seanery
post Nov 12 2003, 11:36 AM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100
Region Association: None

I hear ya Dave. I was arc welding a while back and was hammering slag (with my glasses on) and got a piece of slag in my left eye (right eye is 20/400) started noticing a blurry spot about 3 months ago. I hope they can laser off scar tissue cause this sucks!
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Nov 12 2003, 11:44 AM
Post #3

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Bummer, hope it's something that can easily be cared for !!!

They might have to use a magnet to get it out...

I flung hot solder into my left eye a few months ago, not a good feeling (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Nov 12 2003, 02:22 PM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I pinched my finger between a Gearwrench and a tube on a stainless heat exchanger.

I had a piece of metal fly off of a fresh weld while it was coolling and hit me in the cheek. It made me stop looking at my welds right after finishing them.

B
+Quote Post
stock93
post Nov 12 2003, 05:00 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 684
Region Association: South East States

I always let my welds cool before slagging them for that reason. A good faceshield is not a bad idea. I would probably be a blind man if not for safety glasses. I have broken several pairs while they have been on my face. Things like a bench grinder stone coming apart tend to make you wear them.

John
+Quote Post
seanery
post Nov 12 2003, 05:17 PM
Post #6

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

i gave up arc welding for the cleaner MIG welding
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Nov 12 2003, 06:06 PM
Post #7

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

My eye doctor has a nifty tool for cleaning up the edges of a scratch on the cornea after removing the metal bits. Its a tiny carbide burr. I can hear the sound of him grinding and my vision ripples when he touches the surface of my eye. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
This summer I could hardly use one eye for almost a month. The only time it didn't bother me was when I was in the race car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Nov 12 2003, 09:05 PM
Post #8

Chris

You got it he used about a 1/2 mm round bur (drill) to get it out. My eye is a little sore but not bad and I'm not seeing as well because of swelling but it's gonna be OK. I have to admit to being a little scared when he asked for a bur.

I have a whole new appreciation for " open wide, hold still, this won't hurt a bit". Yikes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Nov 12 2003, 09:19 PM
Post #9

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

You guys are lucky in one way. If I ever get anything in my eyes it is very hard to get out. No one can seem to pry my eyelids open to work on anything. I'm sure they would have to put me under first.

DaveP
Eyelids like beartraps.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Nov 12 2003, 10:16 PM
Post #10

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Yikes...you guys are making my eyes water. Anything related to vision loss/impairment is very, very serious stuff. Personally I became best buddies with my safety glasses or goggles fairly recently. I realized how much nasty @*#! was flying around as I was trimming various fiberglass, steel and aluminum parts for the teener. Splinters, burns, cuts and bruises...I can deal with...being blind hell no (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
redshift
post Nov 12 2003, 10:21 PM
Post #11

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)

It's one of those things you should write into a horror movie.

Please guys, for what it's worth, we are the braintrust of all this teener stuff, let's try not to have future generations asking the blind man for part numbers.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M
+Quote Post
Qarl
post Nov 12 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #12

Shriveled member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 271

How's the eye Dave?
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Nov 13 2003, 07:21 AM
Post #13

Much better today. Still a tiny bit sensitive to light and slightly blurry but it's going to be fine. I'm sure I couldn't work today as little things are a bit out of focus but the doc said expect that for a couple of days. So I've got a day with no teeth but my own and about 10 hours of energy. I think I'll work on my car

Dave
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Nov 13 2003, 07:40 AM
Post #14

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

the 914 interfering with the home life is one thing. i bet betsy was REAL happy to come home with you looking like a pirate/popeye. is the braille method of root canal therapy effective? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) pretty scary, glad things will be ok. be careful dave.

kevin
"ok. let me know if this hurts"
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Nov 13 2003, 08:19 AM
Post #15

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

When I went in to have some fireproofing removed from my eye they used the clamp thing. Pretty weird device, clamps down on your head then a clamp is used to hold your eyeball. They had to pick out the fireproofing from behind the eyeball. Even with a numbing agent it hurt.

Job site fun gone bad as a guy tossed a clunk of the shit at me, course it hit my right in the eye! I had him transfered to another site after that.....

Sounds like it went good Dave, you can count your blessings.

Take it easy when grinding in those small spaces as it bounces round getting you good with the filings.

Geoff
+Quote Post
Dave Blackburn
post Nov 13 2003, 11:11 AM
Post #16

Member No.: 551

I was grinding in the hell hole of my car and got a little sliver of metal in my eye.
It didn't hurt, but the next day I couldn't be outside in the light, my eye would not stay open!
I went to the doctor the next day and he had to cut out the metel along with THE RUST that was now in my eye. NOT FUN.
I was wearing safety goggles as well.
Dave
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Nov 13 2003, 11:23 AM
Post #17

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

a metal shaving found its way into my eye whilst under the car. Went to the opthamologist & he was able to use tweezers to get it out. I could feel him pulling on it just like you do when extracting a piece of glass from flesh (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) I submitted the claim to my insurance and they rejected it saying it was a car related accident therefore the car ins. will pay... and they did! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Working with blind people makes me more aware of the necessity of eye protection.

bruce
+Quote Post
rdracrdave
post Nov 13 2003, 04:04 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 653

I had an incident that brought eye protection to my attention a couple of weekends ago.
We dragged the 914 down to Memphis for the SCCA race to get one more race in to keep my license current. I had my helmet visor up While sitting on the grid because it was quite hot (82 Degrees).
When we went out onto the track and were seperated into two lines for the pace lap, the fellow in front of me accelerated hard to warm up / clean his tires, and kicked up a rolled up wad of rubber that of course nailed my right eye at about 10,000 mph.
The first couple of laps were shall we say 'exciting" as I tried to drive as hard as I could , while trying to stick my gloved hand up under my helmet to rub my eye. My 12 year old asked me the next day how I got the black eye. I told her I had been in a bar fight .
She didnt believe me.
Just goes to show you that when you least expect it God pokes you in the eye to get your attention.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th May 2024 - 02:59 AM