Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bummer, Something stuck in my eye
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
Got something stuck in my eye. It's been bugging me since yesterday. Went to the office today and my eye is so full of tears that I can't see well. Not good for dentist. Add a day's missed work and I'm not saving any money doing it myself.

Before everyone says "What a dumb Sh*t". I was wearing my safety glasses from work. Something must have got around or under the side shield. Brought home a pair of goggles that fit over my glasses for the future.

So off to the opthamologist. Hopefully I will be able to work tomorrow.
seanery
I hear ya Dave. I was arc welding a while back and was hammering slag (with my glasses on) and got a piece of slag in my left eye (right eye is 20/400) started noticing a blurry spot about 3 months ago. I hope they can laser off scar tissue cause this sucks!
Mueller
Bummer, hope it's something that can easily be cared for !!!

They might have to use a magnet to get it out...

I flung hot solder into my left eye a few months ago, not a good feeling sad.gif
Brad Roberts
I pinched my finger between a Gearwrench and a tube on a stainless heat exchanger.

I had a piece of metal fly off of a fresh weld while it was coolling and hit me in the cheek. It made me stop looking at my welds right after finishing them.

B
stock93
I always let my welds cool before slagging them for that reason. A good faceshield is not a bad idea. I would probably be a blind man if not for safety glasses. I have broken several pairs while they have been on my face. Things like a bench grinder stone coming apart tend to make you wear them.

John
seanery
i gave up arc welding for the cleaner MIG welding
ChrisFoley
My eye doctor has a nifty tool for cleaning up the edges of a scratch on the cornea after removing the metal bits. Its a tiny carbide burr. I can hear the sound of him grinding and my vision ripples when he touches the surface of my eye. ohmy.gif
This summer I could hardly use one eye for almost a month. The only time it didn't bother me was when I was in the race car. laugh.gif
DNHunt
Chris

You got it he used about a 1/2 mm round bur (drill) to get it out. My eye is a little sore but not bad and I'm not seeing as well because of swelling but it's gonna be OK. I have to admit to being a little scared when he asked for a bur.

I have a whole new appreciation for " open wide, hold still, this won't hurt a bit". Yikes w00t.gif
davep
You guys are lucky in one way. If I ever get anything in my eyes it is very hard to get out. No one can seem to pry my eyelids open to work on anything. I'm sure they would have to put me under first.

DaveP
Eyelids like beartraps.
campbellcj
Yikes...you guys are making my eyes water. Anything related to vision loss/impairment is very, very serious stuff. Personally I became best buddies with my safety glasses or goggles fairly recently. I realized how much nasty @*#! was flying around as I was trimming various fiberglass, steel and aluminum parts for the teener. Splinters, burns, cuts and bruises...I can deal with...being blind hell no sad.gif
redshift
icon8.gif

It's one of those things you should write into a horror movie.

Please guys, for what it's worth, we are the braintrust of all this teener stuff, let's try not to have future generations asking the blind man for part numbers.

smile.gif

M
Qarl
How's the eye Dave?
DNHunt
Much better today. Still a tiny bit sensitive to light and slightly blurry but it's going to be fine. I'm sure I couldn't work today as little things are a bit out of focus but the doc said expect that for a couple of days. So I've got a day with no teeth but my own and about 10 hours of energy. I think I'll work on my car

Dave
rhodyguy
the 914 interfering with the home life is one thing. i bet betsy was REAL happy to come home with you looking like a pirate/popeye. is the braille method of root canal therapy effective? laugh.gif pretty scary, glad things will be ok. be careful dave.

kevin
"ok. let me know if this hurts"
Bleyseng
When I went in to have some fireproofing removed from my eye they used the clamp thing. Pretty weird device, clamps down on your head then a clamp is used to hold your eyeball. They had to pick out the fireproofing from behind the eyeball. Even with a numbing agent it hurt.

Job site fun gone bad as a guy tossed a clunk of the shit at me, course it hit my right in the eye! I had him transfered to another site after that.....

Sounds like it went good Dave, you can count your blessings.

Take it easy when grinding in those small spaces as it bounces round getting you good with the filings.

Geoff
Dave Blackburn
I was grinding in the hell hole of my car and got a little sliver of metal in my eye.
It didn't hurt, but the next day I couldn't be outside in the light, my eye would not stay open!
I went to the doctor the next day and he had to cut out the metel along with THE RUST that was now in my eye. NOT FUN.
I was wearing safety goggles as well.
Dave
Bruce Allert
a metal shaving found its way into my eye whilst under the car. Went to the opthamologist & he was able to use tweezers to get it out. I could feel him pulling on it just like you do when extracting a piece of glass from flesh ohmy.gif I submitted the claim to my insurance and they rejected it saying it was a car related accident therefore the car ins. will pay... and they did! smile.gif
Working with blind people makes me more aware of the necessity of eye protection.

bruce
rdracrdave
I had an incident that brought eye protection to my attention a couple of weekends ago.
We dragged the 914 down to Memphis for the SCCA race to get one more race in to keep my license current. I had my helmet visor up While sitting on the grid because it was quite hot (82 Degrees).
When we went out onto the track and were seperated into two lines for the pace lap, the fellow in front of me accelerated hard to warm up / clean his tires, and kicked up a rolled up wad of rubber that of course nailed my right eye at about 10,000 mph.
The first couple of laps were shall we say 'exciting" as I tried to drive as hard as I could , while trying to stick my gloved hand up under my helmet to rub my eye. My 12 year old asked me the next day how I got the black eye. I told her I had been in a bar fight .
She didnt believe me.
Just goes to show you that when you least expect it God pokes you in the eye to get your attention.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.