Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How I painted my 914, ...custom stripes and a show-car finish
914helo
post Dec 1 2006, 05:56 PM
Post #81

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,859
Region Association: None

Excellent thread! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) You did a great job. One question, why did you say it's easier to wet-sand and buff within 3 days of spraying the clear? I heard once from someone to let their clearcoat harden for like 2 weeks.
Yours turned out excellent. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Dec 1 2006, 06:49 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 1,349

QUOTE(914helo @ Dec 1 2006, 03:56 PM) *

Excellent thread! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) You did a great job. One question, why did you say it's easier to wet-sand and buff within 3 days of spraying the clear? I heard once from someone to let their clearcoat harden for like 2 weeks.

The clear is just so much softer before it dries for two weeks. And so the scratches that you put into it by sanding some out a lot faster when it is still soft like that. For the panels that I waited longer for, I had to switch to the coarser compound to make the process easier.
+Quote Post
914helo
post Dec 1 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 2,859

Thanks for the reply. Again, excellent work!
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 1 2006, 08:49 PM
Post #84

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Dec 1 2006, 04:49 PM) *

The clear is just so much softer before it dries for two weeks. And so the scratches that you put into it by sanding some out a lot faster when it is still soft like that. For the panels that I waited longer for, I had to switch to the coarser compound to make the process easier.

Exactly. You are ALWAYS better off wet sanding and buffing within a few days. The longer you wait the more you have to werk at it and the WERSE your results will be. I have quite frequently sanded and buffed cars the same day I shot them. As far as using news paper to mask with .....bad idea. Paint WILL bleed through news paper and leave not only paint on the underlying surface but also newspaper articles. Real mess to have to clean up after. NO I repeat NO painter gets the "perfect" paint job every time (rarely), so don't feel bad about some orange peel or runs. It happens. As for the orange peel drive around some of the typical car lots and look at the brand new paint jobs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) As much as I love then Jeep has always been a HUGE offender in the paint department. Also take a look at a C class Benz then go look at an S class...drastic difference in quality! All that said good job and nice color combo! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
fat73
post Dec 4 2006, 09:46 PM
Post #85

W9R1

Member No.: 4,043
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(thomasotten @ Dec 1 2006, 04:49 PM) *

Most excellent work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) I'm debating on whether to do my own paint. I've done it before, but this time it would include some fiberglass work which I've not done but I figure if I screw it up just start over. I've already checked with one custom shop and they want $5500 just to get the car ready to paint, which includes making the body kit fit perfect (no small job). That may seem like alot to some folks, but considering the time it takes.....well you know what I mean for sure. I love to see guys do this kind of stuff on their own. Very nice. An asset to the club, I'd say. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Ed aka W9R1
+Quote Post
John
post Dec 5 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #86

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Take your time putting it all back together. Take many many pics. It won't look this good forever. The first or second time you drive it you will get the notorious stone chip (it's the law of the west). I have gone through this enough times to know it's true.

It will happen, so don't worry too much about it (most people won't see the small imperfections that you will know are there).

Keep a bit of touch up paint for small chips and it will look like a million bucks for a long long time.

You did an amazing job. How many other cars have you done?
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Dec 5 2006, 06:26 AM
Post #87

QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Dec 4 2006, 10:01 PM) *

Take your time putting it all back together. Take many many pics. It won't look this good forever. The first or second time you drive it you will get the notorious stone chip (it's the law of the west). I have gone through this enough times to know it's true.

Oh I know, when you hear someone yell "No!!!!!!!", you'll know it was me. Right now I've been thinking about motion detectors to alert me via pocket pager when car-keying kids away, being that I work across from a high school. To your other question, this is the first whole car I have painted, but I have done other small jobs before to get my confidence/technique up.

+Quote Post
GTeener
post Dec 5 2006, 01:45 PM
Post #88

914 Girl

Member No.: 2,249
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Wow! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) Work of beauty! You got patience and mad talent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
thesey914
post Dec 5 2006, 02:35 PM
Post #89

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 66

Breathtaking results. That blue really suits the 914 too
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post Dec 6 2006, 12:01 PM
Post #90

I'll be posting rebuild photos shortly, I got a lot of new parts (and a Raby engine kit one the way)....stay tuned.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Apr 30 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #91

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Great Thread! Awesome Job Thomas!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
+Quote Post
tracks914
post Apr 30 2007, 08:59 PM
Post #92

Canadian Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 153

Awsome work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif)
I wait a year to cut and polish my clear coat. It was a lot of work but the shine was better than any car on a car lot. Next time I will do in the first week. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
LarryR
post Apr 30 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 7,604

My wife is going to hate you forever for this thread (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I like to paint and seeing your results have inspired me to paint the 914. I figure that you have produced aprox. a 15-18K paint job by your efforts so I am thinking to do the same.

Great looking car.

+Quote Post
tdgray
post May 1 2007, 07:40 AM
Post #94

Thank God Nemo is not here to see this

Member No.: 984

Awesome Job Thomas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

As another person that has done this let me tell you it is a ton of work.

I always wanted to see if I could do it and I did... but I will never do it myself again.

You results are much better than mine. Excellent job my man (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post May 1 2007, 08:18 AM
Post #95

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I hope to paint my project this Spring. This thread has been a real inspiration. I have a question about the trunks. I assume you used the same paint with a base coat and a clear coat without sand the clear. I would think that would really be a pain.
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post May 1 2007, 08:48 AM
Post #96

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

That's a classic thread.

Really NICE!
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post May 1 2007, 09:17 AM
Post #97

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Classic thread !

What will the total cost / hours be ?
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post May 1 2007, 09:54 AM
Post #98

QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ May 1 2007, 06:18 AM) *

I hope to paint my project this Spring. This thread has been a real inspiration. I have a question about the trunks. I assume you used the same paint with a base coat and a clear coat without sand the clear. I would think that would really be a pain.

The trunks are easy, and they are great for practice! But yes, you won't need to buff that, and you will want to be careful not to get runs. But even if you do, no big deal, you can take care of them by hand. They will have more grease issues, so you will want to degrease them with something like simple Green BEFORE you sand anything. Once you start sanding, there is the potential to imbed grease into the paint. Cleaning these areas can be a real pain, but it is worth it. The beauty is in the details.

Take your time and you can turn this....

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post May 1 2007, 09:55 AM
Post #99

into this...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Bartlett 914
post May 1 2007, 10:59 AM
Post #100

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,707
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thanks Thomas.
The trunks look great. Seeing the trunks match the outside really makes a paint job outstanding. How many coats of clear did you use?
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th May 2024 - 06:00 AM