Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So how good are DOT slicks types V710s etc..., I need to know just how much faster they are
914forme
post Nov 29 2006, 08:25 PM
Post #1

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Okay here is the story and delimia.

I currently run Kuhmo Victoracers, how much better are the Hoosier A6s and Kumho V710s.

Okay I know that going from Hipo street tires Yoko's to my Kumho's is like night and day. Is it the same difference steping up to a V710 or A6 from the Victoracers. I can't run slicks in these classes. Or else I would! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/devil.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Nov 29 2006, 08:41 PM
Post #2

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

AX I presume?

they are appreciably better. they all drive a little bit different. by the time you figure them out, you need a new set.

from victoracers, figure about 6/10ths to 12/10ths faster per run.
+Quote Post
mskala
post Nov 29 2006, 09:23 PM
Post #3

R

Member No.: 79

Also, from looking at tire rack, 205/50/15 may not be available
any more in the Victoracer
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 29 2006, 09:43 PM
Post #4

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Your topic said Slicks so here is my 2 cents on slicks vs 710's

SIGNIFICANT. OMG the grip is awesome compared to DOT tires.

However they absolutley need hat to stick. cold days and they are pretty much worthless.

But in 100 degree heat with back to back drivers. I attained 150-160 temps and while others were watering down the Hoosiers and 710's I was skipping in line to get more runs.
grip didn't fall off till about 50 runs. and were still putting the car in top 1 or 2 at 100 runs.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 29 2006, 10:04 PM
Post #5

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Didn't we hear that 710's are the "winningest" tire in SCCA a/x?

KT
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Nov 29 2006, 10:16 PM
Post #6

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I recently went from Victoracers to 710's. For my car it made a huge difference especially for AX. I couldnt get any heat into my Victoracers in AX events. 710's ran much warmer and stuck good. On a long AX course I'd say they are worth a second or more.

Here are some GRM test results:

http://www.grassrootsmotorsports.com/image...15_tiretest.pdf
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 30 2006, 06:01 AM
Post #7

I read GRM then I forget most of what is written (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Here is the issue, In NASA you can't run a true slick unless you goto TTR or TTU ( basicly unlimited classes )

The V710s and A6s carry a heavy point option with them, which would bump me a class. I run in one of the largest NASA classes here. I beat or run with in a 10th of a second to the guys the next class up. TTE is very competative which makes it fun. TTD 2-3 cars show, and mabye none. My car is not a TTOD car right now, so if I do take hte V710s I would have to bump a class. It is all about decisions. I bump a class I have a new set of points to play with. And would have about 17 points left, which could be used for a campaign of extreme weight reduction. But in reality the driver needs it mor than the car.

Yeah looking at the tire rack it looks like the Victoracers are gone in hte 205/50R-15 size. They might have made my choice for me. I will not run the next Kumho bellow that, which is the street tire I run on my Jetta. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Nov 30 2006, 08:46 AM
Post #8

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 30 2006, 04:01 AM) *

I read GRM then I forget most of what is written (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Here is the issue, In NASA you can't run a true slick unless you goto TTR or TTU ( basicly unlimited classes )

The V710s and A6s carry a heavy point option with them, which would bump me a class. I run in one of the largest NASA classes here. I beat or run with in a 10th of a second to the guys the next class up. TTE is very competative which makes it fun. TTD 2-3 cars show, and mabye none. My car is not a TTOD car right now, so if I do take hte V710s I would have to bump a class. It is all about decisions. I bump a class I have a new set of points to play with. And would have about 17 points left, which could be used for a campaign of extreme weight reduction. But in reality the driver needs it mor than the car.

Yeah looking at the tire rack it looks like the Victoracers are gone in hte 205/50R-15 size. They might have made my choice for me. I will not run the next Kumho bellow that, which is the street tire I run on my Jetta. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Do Avon or Hankook DOT slicks take similar points hit?
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Nov 30 2006, 10:09 AM
Post #9

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Do Avon or Hankook DOT slicks take similar points hit?
[/quote]

I imagine that the line in the sand is tread wear rating. Isn't the spec tire for some classes this year the Toyo RA-1
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Nov 30 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 1,507

I describe hoosiers as "crack" You always chase the feeling after you've driven on them.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Nov 30 2006, 11:14 AM
Post #11

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 29 2006, 08:04 PM) *

KT

they were in 2005. i don't know about 2006. the A6 is supposed to be pretty damn fast.
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Nov 30 2006, 11:33 AM
Post #12

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Nov 30 2006, 09:14 AM) *

QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 29 2006, 08:04 PM) *

KT

they were in 2005. i don't know about 2006. the A6 is supposed to be pretty damn fast.

Frankly for the enthusiast AX driver there isnt going to be much difference in either tire. Its not until you are looking at improving your time by hundreths of a second that the difference between a 710 or A6 might be apparent. I certainly couldnt feel much difference between Hoosiers and 710's other than the hoosiers feeling like they stuck a little bit more.

If the NASA points system is based on treadwear rating you might consider going with a hoosier Road Race DOT slick. Hankooks come in a vareity of compounds too.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 30 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #13

I have attached the rules for the tires. Very intuitive isn't it. Basically if you think it does not have enough tread to drive on the road in the rain, it is a DOT-R "Slick" I am a crazy SOB at times. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I have driven some pretty scary stuff, at speed in the rain. A set of DOT "Slicks" would be really nothing different, it would be like driving my Jetta in the rain. My TDI really needs at least 2 wheels driving (LSD), and would benefit with all 4 doing some form of work.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 30 2006, 03:32 PM
Post #14

So in this section alone I take 7 points with the Victorracers. To up to the A6s or even the R6s I would drop 9 points in this section. BTW, the 914-4 starts in TTF ( any 914-4) after that you add points from there. 19 points separate each class. So since the 914-4 carries 15 extra points. Any form of tire upgrade will bump you a class, except running a cheap tire with a 165 section width. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Nov 30 2006, 03:44 PM
Post #15

Arrrrhhhh!

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 30 2006, 01:26 PM) *

I have attached the rules for the tires. Very intuitive isn't it. Basically if you think it does not have enough tread to drive on the road in the rain, it is a DOT-R "Slick" I am a crazy SOB at times. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I have driven some pretty scary stuff, at speed in the rain. A set of DOT "Slicks" would be really nothing different, it would be like driving my Jetta in the rain. My TDI really needs at least 2 wheels driving (LSD), and would benefit with all 4 doing some form of work.

I have been reading good things about the Nitto NT01 as a decent track tire. Probably in similar relm of a Victoracer. I have read its the basic design for next generation Toyo RA1. They come in 205/5015 and they are fairly afordable.

http://www.nittotire.com/tires_nt01.asp

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/f...rd=15&ar=50
+Quote Post
914forme
post Nov 30 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #16

Not sure why Kumho shows a V700 still in hte 205/50R15 size. They also show a new V70A which is slightly lighter than the V700 by a couple of pounds, still rated at a tread wear of 50 just like hte V700. the V710 have a tread wear of 30. So I am not sure why the tirerack does not show the size still and they dont show the V70A yet either.

The Nitto's have a Tread Rating of 100, thats a huge differences. So I think I will look for a set of the new V70A's and see what comes of it next season.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Nov 30 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #17

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Having run both Hoosiers and 710's, I found that the 710's let you recover.
When the Hoosier's take you beyond the limit, you spin.
The 710's will save you if you back out.

KT
+Quote Post
DanT
post Nov 30 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #18

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

QUOTE(914forme @ Nov 30 2006, 09:47 PM) *

Not sure why Kumho shows a V700 still in hte 205/50R15 size. They also show a new V70A which is slightly lighter than the V700 by a couple of pounds, still rated at a tread wear of 50 just like hte V700. the V710 have a tread wear of 30. So I am not sure why the tirerack does not show the size still and they dont show the V70A yet either.

The Nitto's have a Tread Rating of 100, thats a huge differences. So I think I will look for a set of the new V70A's and see what comes of it next season.

remember the tread wear ratings are only comparable from tire to tire for any particular manufacturer...they really don't relate between different manufacturers.

Trek, that has been my feeling about the hoosiers...after riding in a driving Greg Welch's car, I can say I really don't like the feel of the hoosiers.
That is one reason I have yet to buy any...
I like the feel of the Kumhos better...

My take on the Vitoracers is that they are going to be phased out once Kumho has sold the last of their stock...that is why Tirerack has less than half the sizes they used to stock...
The V70As are probably the replacement/upgrade from the Victors....and the 710 is still the ultimate top of the heap for Kumho.
It is nice they are giving us a choice of tires within their own brand.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 1 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #19

Yeah, I know tire wear are not comparible between each brand directly. I have been a Kumho guy for years. V70As look like my cup of tea, for what I do. Best of all I stay in a class that has a bunch of people running, after all it is more fun to run againts a group, and run solo.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 1 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(Matt Romanowski @ Nov 30 2006, 08:37 AM) *

I describe hoosiers as "crack" You always chase the feeling after you've driven on them.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

No question about it.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th May 2024 - 12:35 AM