Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So how good are DOT slicks types V710s etc..., I need to know just how much faster they are
Randal
post Dec 1 2006, 10:34 AM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 750

QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 30 2006, 09:55 PM) *

Having run both Hoosiers and 710's, I found that the 710's let you recover.
When the Hoosier's take you beyond the limit, you spin.
The 710's will save you if you back out.

KT

My experience with Hoosiers, on a warm day, was that they let you explore "limits" never before experienced with any tire. In my view this was so dramatic it was actually hard to believe.

I believe the trick to securing this performance is figuring out the right pressures. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Dec 1 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #22

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

yeah, but regardless: kumhos are much more progressive. they don't have the same grip, but they are an easier tire to drive. just my 02
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 1 2006, 12:44 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

QUOTE(nebreitling @ Dec 1 2006, 09:24 AM) *

yeah, but regardless: kumhos are much more progressive. they don't have the same grip, but they are an easier tire to drive. just my 02

You're a man of the world Nathan. You've tried all them there tires (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When I first started to drive my car I took Rich Bontempi's advice to just drive and leave the car alone for while. I drove for almost a year on my Yoko's (like DOT slicks), spun a lot, but learned a bunch. I was finishing in the upper third, but no higher. Those Yoko's didn't even look worn after a year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

When I went out with my new Hoosiers and 5 lug conversion, before I installed the cage, times went down about 2 seconds.

Adding the cage was another stair step (1 second) and the racing seat was probably worth half a second. Racing slicks followed and were worth about a second.

Brad making the suspension work was another big improvement, i.e., maybe the biggest.

But the tire that made the biggest impression was the DOT Hoosiers. They were great.

Of couse the big slicks are faster, but you don't get that unbelievable handling feeling, like you did with the DOT's as your corning a lot faster. Hard to explain.

+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 1 2006, 05:36 PM
Post #24

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

Thanks Randal,

Brad helping diagnose suspension setup has helped me a lot. Even remote across the internet, I dropped a ton of time. I am not putting a cage in but I am adding a roll bar, with petty bar. And the Engman kit, and a few secret additions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) If my class thins out then, I might bump just to run with a few more people it is allways fun to run in a crowd.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 1 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #25

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914forme @ Dec 1 2006, 03:36 PM) *

Thanks Randal,

Brad helping diagnose suspension setup has helped me a lot. Even remote across the internet, I dropped a ton of time. I am not putting a cage in but I am adding a roll bar, with petty bar. And the Engman kit, and a few secret additions (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) If my class thins out then, I might bump just to run with a few more people it is allways fun to run in a crowd.

Glad to hear that Brad is helping. He really knows what he is doing.

As to the roll bar, is there some way to tie the roll bar to the front to give the front suspension an anchor point?

On the competition front it is always more fun when you have 3 or more people to run against. Running alone in a class just doesn't do it for me.

+Quote Post
914forme
post Dec 1 2006, 09:01 PM
Post #26

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Randal @ Dec 1 2006, 07:27 PM) *

As to the roll bar, is there some way to tie the roll bar to the front to give the front suspension an anchor point?

You got me thinking what point do you want anchored?

I have a bunch of stiffing in the car, but I can't tie suspension points into the cage structure with out points. But I wonder if with some creative engineering I couldn't get close enough to make it work?

Ah I could just write TTR on the paper and walk away, and do what ever I wanted to the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th May 2024 - 11:26 PM