Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who's going to Thunderhill on Dec 9th and/or 10th?, Anyone joinging me?
grantsfo
post Dec 8 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #21

Arrrrhhhh!

Group: Members
Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

I dont know which weather reports you guys have been reading, but everything I have seen says rain fairly steady Saturday and Sunday.

Be careful out there!

What are you guys running for rain tires?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 8 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #22

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 8 2006, 12:16 PM) *

I dont know which weather reports you guys have been reading, but everything I have seen says rain fairly steady Saturday and Sunday.

Be careful out there!

I've been checking weather.com and accuweather.com for their "hourly" forecasts.

I don't have rain tires cuz I don't run in the rain. Rain is no fun. Since I had already paid for both days and there is no rain insurance, I came up here anyway (I'm logged on from the hotel room). If it's bleak at the end of tomorrow, I'll just come home.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 8 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 8 2006, 02:39 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Dec 8 2006, 12:16 PM) *

Be careful out there!

I've been checking weather.com and accuweather.com for their "hourly" forecasts.

I don't have rain tires cuz I don't run in the rain. Rain is no fun. Since I had already paid for both days and there is no rain insurance, I came up here anyway (I'm logged on from the hotel room). If it's bleak at the end of tomorrow, I'll just come home.

Bill P.

Just started raining down here Bill. Not sure which way the storm is moving.

Glad you made it OK.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Dec 8 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I dont understand your fear of the rain. THILL drains very well. All you have to do is change your line for the rain. You really need to learn this. It is a VERY important part of "driving"

I beg and plead for rain. It FORCES you to be smooth.

The tires you have work great in the rain. Slicks work fine in the rain until you start hitting puddles in the apexes.

You have wipers.. as long as it is not POORING rain.. DRIVE. Learn..

Bill,

I try to keep the bullshit down to minimum when I deal with you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) please do not let the rain stop you. I seriously beleive it will make you a better driver. If you talk with any SCCA racer they will tell you the mid-engine cars are one of the best cars to race in the rain..

Go slow.. but learn the limits in the rain.

B
+Quote Post
DanT
post Dec 8 2006, 05:52 PM
Post #25

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

I personally don't care one way or the other about the rain.

It is the other idiots out there that don't respect the fact that the traction is not optimal and do something stupid and either crash in front of you leaving you no place to go or they collect you in their stupidity in some other way like late braking and taking you out from behind...

Just my 2 cents If I could run in the rain with one of these "track" groups with lots of open track and very little if any traffic then I would consider it.

Again, this is why I prefer to run with PCA groups in Norcal since I know many if not most of the drivers and their personal driving habits and abilities.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And I do agree that it is a great learning tool if you can stay out of trouble. One of the best all time drivers, Hans Stuck, is awsome in the rain....love watching him in the rain... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 8 2006, 06:30 PM
Post #26

B,

It's not that I'm afraid of rain at all. It's the other 20 cars on the track where I don't know what they will do. I know some of the drivers in TMR but HOD I really don't know anyone. If only 5 cars are on the track I may think about running.

One thing you have to keep in mind is how we all do risk assessment. In the rain with drivers I don't know. my car is at more risk for damage than when it's dry. And I am the owner/builder. I buy the parts, foot the bills and pay for anything that breaks.

The pro's don't pay for their mistakes or those of others. The car owner does. Since I'm the owner/driver, I pay for my mistakes and those of others. To me, the cost/risk is pretty clear. I'd rather give up the $135 I paid for TMR than have someone wreck my $30K Spec Boxster.

If it was a rungroup of folks I knew well, I'd consider it. But I've run with several groups this year, and the majority of them have cars flying off the track right and left in DRY conditions.

Driving in the rain would be fun to play with car control. And as long as you don't go off sideways at Thill and flip the car, there's plenty of room at Thill to be safe.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Dec 8 2006, 06:41 PM
Post #27

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8

I hear where you are coming from Bill.

Dont forget.. you have ABS now and traction control..

From what I have seen.. 90% of the people attending these events wont go out in the rain..

I agree about people "collecting" each other up in stupid accidents, but I also know I have enough self control that if somebody is getting anywere near me.. I'm going to slow down/move over/wave them by. I'm capable of figuring out what the limits of their car is (even if they dont know it) a early 911 with NO ABS flying up behind me with an unknown driver.. let him by.. late model 993 that is more worried about his car than mine.. sit back there and rot..LOL (with ABS)

I guess I'm too trusting.

B
+Quote Post
Terrance
post Dec 8 2006, 07:35 PM
Post #28

Member No.: 4,526

We're leaving at 4am. Come by and say hi. garage #8, bright blue 350z with 19" blings.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 8 2006, 08:05 PM
Post #29

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I've driven TH in the rain.

I went off track out of turn 10 and went up the hill 40 feet off the inside of the track, sideways...My ruts are still there. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Brake early, heel/toe like mad. I did learn to be smoother.
No lap records in the wet. 3 minute laps...Heh heh.

My wet tires are 195/50/15 Yoko YK420 street tires.

Laguna does not drain well at all.

KT
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 8 2006, 08:54 PM
Post #30

Just got back from the Black Bear diner...whoa I'm stuffed...fried chicken dinner and chocolate ice cream for dessert.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

It's raining right now. I just heard the local weather forecast....rain all night but clearing in the morning with rain again in the afternoon...

With some luck I should get some dry sessions in tomorrow.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 8 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #31

Advanced Member

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 8 2006, 06:54 PM) *

Just got back from the Black Bear diner...whoa I'm stuffed...fried chicken dinner and chocolate ice cream for dessert.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

It's raining right now. I just heard the local weather forecast....rain all night but clearing in the morning with rain again in the afternoon...

Bill P.

Oh yes, the Black Bear diner...

Hoping for sunshine or at least a dry track for tomorrow.
+Quote Post
chilli
post Dec 9 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #32

Older Than Dirt :-)

Member No.: 3,805

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 8 2006, 06:54 PM) *

Bill P.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) Used to go to Nancy's, but not happy the last few times even for breakfast. Had the ham and eggs at Black Bear once. Thought they brought dish for the whole table. The ham slice was absolutely huge.

Try to stay dry, have fun with new lines.

mike (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Dec 9 2006, 12:26 PM
Post #33

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Just a little something for guys that buy/build their own cars..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqxdj_wetrace
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 9 2006, 12:58 PM
Post #34

Advanced Member

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Dec 9 2006, 10:26 AM) *

Just a little something for guys that buy/build their own cars..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xqxdj_wetrace

That is scary.

The one course worker was really really lucky when he was trapped between the barrier and the car spinning. We was knocked off his feet running away and probably had sore legs and butt, but his head was intact. He wasn’t wearing a helmet (crazy). Wow!

+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 9 2006, 02:57 PM
Post #35

I do things...

currently:

Attached Image

KT
+Quote Post
Terrance
post Dec 9 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #36

Pics from today. Bill, couldn't find you, but your car isn't easy to miss.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/terranceseto/...57594412909379/

(IMG:http://static.flickr.com/126/318181469_d7468e37cf_o.jpg)

(IMG:http://static.flickr.com/134/318181519_992a293752_o.jpg)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 9 2006, 09:31 PM
Post #37

Hi Terrance,

Thanks for the pictures! What group were you running in today? I was in "C" group.

Overall a great day. We seemed to be able to get in several clear sessions. I really was impressed with Hooked On Driving. Their instructors were very knowledgable and they really ran a first rate DE. One of the best in my opinion. I plan to run with them when I can.

My first session was in a light mist, but the rest of the day was on a cold but dry track during my runs. I tried lowering the pressure on the tires to get them to heat up but no go there. They just stayed cold. The car felt "soft" all day but I left the suspension settings alone to get a nice feel for the car.

For the last session I added more tire pressure and cranked up the PSS9's by one click in the front and 2 in the back. I ended up running a 2:15 and change. No speed records today, but not bad for the 2nd track day with Lucille. I can't wait to try her with warm tires.

The spec miata guys were kicking my butt all day. I couldn't get comfortable enough to hang with them in the corners. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Overall a great day.

Bill P.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 9 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #38

I do things...

I really hope all the rain falls over night like they say.

We're both in TT8 with GGR. You are dropping 2:15's on a cold track the first time out with your car.

I was pushing to the limit and beyond, begging for a 2:15 ( my best )

I hope we can do some lead/follow tomorrow.

KT
+Quote Post
Terrance
post Dec 10 2006, 01:31 PM
Post #39

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 9 2006, 07:31 PM) *

Hi Terrance,

Thanks for the pictures! What group were you running in today? I was in "C" group.

Overall a great day. We seemed to be able to get in several clear sessions. I really was impressed with Hooked On Driving. Their instructors were very knowledgable and they really ran a first rate DE. One of the best in my opinion. I plan to run with them when I can.

My first session was in a light mist, but the rest of the day was on a cold but dry track during my runs. I tried lowering the pressure on the tires to get them to heat up but no go there. They just stayed cold. The car felt "soft" all day but I left the suspension settings alone to get a nice feel for the car.

For the last session I added more tire pressure and cranked up the PSS9's by one click in the front and 2 in the back. I ended up running a 2:15 and change. No speed records today, but not bad for the 2nd track day with Lucille. I can't wait to try her with warm tires.

The spec miata guys were kicking my butt all day. I couldn't get comfortable enough to hang with them in the corners. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Overall a great day.

Bill P.

I wasn't really running, it was my friend's first time, so he ran in group A, but I was able to sneak out for a session in his car. BLue 350z. Of course, since I had more experience, I pretty much passed up the entire field in 5 laps, then smoked his brakes in the run, almost taking out Turn 14 tires. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Went back pits with a good amount of smoke coming from the front brakes. Oops! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

One of the reasons I really went was to take pics with my new camera. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 10 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #40

I do things...

I left this morning at 4:00am (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yawn.gif)

I got to the track around 6:15, just in time for the rain to start. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

By around 7:30 it was really coming down hard.
By around 9:00 it completely stopped raining and the track dried out the rest of the day....Slowly.

The ground temp was 50 degrees and if was damp "off line".
I got down to a 2:21 and we had a great time even thogh it was so cold and windy.

Attached Image

Attached Image

KT
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 12:08 PM