Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who's going to Thunderhill on Dec 9th and/or 10th?, Anyone joinging me?
nebreitling
post Dec 10 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #41

Member Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 478

that last shot is great!

glad you guys kept safe and had a good time...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 10 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #42

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Is was arctic...

KT

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 11 2006, 12:29 AM
Post #43

Bill Pickering -- 914-6 GT aka....Leeloo

Member No.: 287
Region Association: None

Day 2 at Thunderhill was a great day again! Cold, but a ton of fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Trekkor and I got to ride in each other's cars and chase each other around the track.

Beats working!

Bill P.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Dec 11 2006, 12:44 AM
Post #44

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

how about some technical info Bill?

what adjustments did you make, what tires did you use, how was the general feel of the car in turn 1, 2, 5, 8 and 10?

inquiring minds want to know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 11 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #45

QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Dec 10 2006, 10:44 PM) *

how about some technical info Bill?

what adjustments did you make, what tires did you use, how was the general feel of the car in turn 1, 2, 5, 8 and 10?

inquiring minds want to know (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The car felt very soft on day 1. I couldn't dive bomb into turns like I could with Fritz. The car just wouldn't stick. A large part of that was the conditions (rain, very cold) but the skinny tires compared to the gonzo slicks really make a difference. I had the shocks on a medium setting left over from the Sear's setup but I stiffened the car substantially on the clickers and it made a big difference in the car.

On day 2 I could take 1 much more aggressively. Turn 2 the Boxster liked the double apex or 914 line. Turn 3 and 4 the car definitely liked the inside "hugging line. Not enough tire to try to whip it into the trough and out. 5 I could take in 2nd or 3rd gear (I settled on 3rd). 6 was a learning process again as I was feathering the throttle at turn in all weekend then realized I didn't have 300HP anymore and during my last session I kept my foot in it and the car was fine. 7 I took the normal way. The car liked 8. With a little more grippy service there is alot of time to be had there (I looked down at the digital speedo and I was over 100MPH through there). Turn 9 had no drama, just need to remember to carry momemtum up the hill. Turn 10 was good for the Boxster, I could rail through their pretty quickly and catch several cars between 10 and 11. Turn 11 was a give up corner. The gear ratios of the Box suck for that turn. 2nd gear is too low and 3rd is too high. I used second in traffic to squirt out of there but if I was alone I left it in 3rd. 12 and 13 I stayed off the berm areas as they were really slick from the rain and several cars that tried running over them spun out during the side to side transistions. 14 and 15 were really slick, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't exit with full throttle until very late into 15 because the car wouldn't hook up (limited slip anyone!).

I ran the Victoracers all day 245/45/17's front on 7 inch rims and 275/40/17's on the rear. Trekkor took tire temps of my tires and they were ~95 degrees HOT when I came off. Arctic conditions. As a point of reference, Trekkor's Hoosiers were I think barely over 98 degrees, and the track surface temp was 50 degrees. My next test will be either a wider tire or Hoosiers on 8.5 inch rims up front. I think with the added rim width the car will really turn in with confidence instead of the rollover feeling we're getting from the skinny rim up front.

It isn't going to be easy for me to turn 2:09's, but the car is capable. I don't know if I am but the car is. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I was much more comfortable in the car after the suspension adjustments and some seat time and when I picked up the pace I could turn 15's and 16's in cruise mode.

One thing I was very surprised with is how good the stock Boxster brakes are. I found during my last session I didn't need to brake so early and I could modulate the braking down quickly. And the car is very stable under heavy braking with a slight rear twitch if you pitch the car forward with a strong stab of the brake pedal.

I do need to make a block for the accelerator pedal to facilitate heal and toe. The brake pedal is has so little travel you really have to articulate your foot to get to the throttle.

I'll also have to pull the nose and re-tighten the center radiator lines I just installed. No leaks per se, but if you look underneath there is weeping that is forming on the bottom of the car from both sides, so I'll need to pull down both side radiators again.

On a comfort note, since my heat was still functional, I ran the heater when on the track with the windows down. It kept the cabin VERY comfortable and I never got cold. A very nice feature for a track only car.

I'm signed up for Laguna Seca on Sunday, January 7th. Can't wait for that!

Here's some pics of the car this weekend. You can see how well the suspension was working in some of the shots.

First shot on the backstraight between 13 and 14.

Bill P.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 11 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #46

This is the car in turn 3.

Bill P.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 11 2006, 10:19 AM
Post #47

Entering turn 10. I could make up all kinds of time on big HP cars from the entrance of 10 to the exit of 12. By turn 13 they would pull me again.

Bill P.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 11 2006, 10:21 AM
Post #48

Apex of turn 10. Car's suspension is working well. You can't early apex 10 at high speed, but it is banked and wider on the exit than you think. You can see that my apex point is a neutral apex, not early or late. I will have to adjust it as I bring more speed into the turn and explore the limits of the Boxster.

In Fritz I would hit the turn with alot of speed and take this same line and just eat other cars up. Off course it helps to have 13 inch slicks on the car. Hmmm, how can I fit those under Lucille?

Bill P.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
nine14cats
post Dec 11 2006, 10:23 AM
Post #49

Turn 10 exit.

Bill P.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DanT
post Dec 11 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #50

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880

very nice Bill.

for the conditions I don't think you could have asked for more. I think your biggest issue now will be to learn to drive a momentum car again...those big slicks and big HP must be cleaned from your memory (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

2:08s and 2:09s are in your future...

remember I can turn ~15s with my stocker....but that was on a slightly warmer day... and I was chasing Larry or was he chasing me?
+Quote Post
Randal
post Dec 11 2006, 10:46 AM
Post #51

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

QUOTE(nine14cats @ Dec 11 2006, 08:23 AM) *

Turn 10 exit.

Bill P.

What were the speeds through the various corners? Hope you had your data logger on!

Love the bit about the heater.

Guess you won't be pulling the air conditioning out yet. Can you imaging being comfortable at BW?
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Dec 11 2006, 11:16 AM
Post #52

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Great pictures, Bill.

Nice to have a day with no mechanicals. Just drive.

KT

+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th May 2024 - 07:47 PM