Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> V-8 rear spring rate, Progressive/165 & 200
drive-ability
post Dec 1 2006, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,782

I am working on combining my 165 and 200 lb springs. I am running the 165 lb set now and the ride is much better, however theres not much travel left after raising up the perches about 3". I have short bump stops and do hit them from time to time. I was looking at combining the two springs, I would use about 3" of the 200s. I would connect them by welding two upper spring perches/retainers together after cutting them leaving just the spring channels. They will hold the two springs in place. Any thoughts, experiences ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
messix
post Dec 1 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

just by real progreesives. your not going to get what you think you will with the contraption that your trying to build.
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Dec 1 2006, 10:05 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(messix @ Dec 1 2006, 07:44 PM) *

just by real progreesives. your not going to get what you think you will with the contraption that your trying to build.

( Contraption Ha Ha Ha )
I understand what you mean and surely your right, My wording of the post was incorrect. My thoughts were by using the 200 lb springs I would bottom out / land on them in Lu of the bump stops. My thoughts were the 200 lb spring would have some give to it. I estimate 3/4" to 1" of travel at the 200 lb rate when the 165s are compressed.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Dec 2 2006, 12:49 AM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

if you step up to a threaded collar setup.. it allows you to run 2.5" ID springs.. which are the 'racer type' spring. available in ANY rate really in like 10 lb increments... and cheap too. 50 ish a spring new.

with this setup.. you now have cornerbalancing ability, and infinite ride height adjustments....

and you can do a combo of two springs if you needed too....

FWIW - i run 225 lb springs on bilsteins with colemanracing.com threaded perches....

+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Dec 2 2006, 12:55 AM
Post #5

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Welding the springs will destroy their heat treat/temper. They will be much more likely to break once you do that.

I agree with Aaron--just get the springs you want instead of trying to fake them up.

--DD
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Dec 2 2006, 01:38 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 1 2006, 10:55 PM) *

Welding the springs will destroy their heat treat/temper. They will be much more likely to break once you do that.

I agree with Aaron--just get the springs you want instead of trying to fake them up.

--DD

Well,
Surely using a threaded collar is a good way to go. I'll see how the setup works since it easy to do. Oh, I wouldn't think of welding the springs together, I made a two sided perch which centers/secures the two springs together. Hey I just like making the parts. If they work well great, if not they get tossed and I get the aforementioned ones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
lybones
post Dec 2 2006, 04:38 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,986

From the looks of your pic, the front might be a little too raked down or the back isn't low enough. Perhaps there is too much load on the front so the back isn't working as it should. I too am running 165 progressive springs in the back and have been toying with the ride angle. My car will ride like a box of rocks if the front is down much lower than the back, like your car pic. I have bilstein rear shocks and have created a 1/2" add-on collar tacked to the original washer looking collar to raise the the back up a little more since it's already at the top ring. My teener handles much better when the botton "plane" of the whole car is almost leveled. I still need to corner balance the car to get it 50/50. Good luck with your spring project, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I hope my .02 helps.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
marks914
post Dec 2 2006, 02:52 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,912
Region Association: None

Heres a crazy idea:

Try 180s

Also remember, when you cut the springs they get stiffer.

Mark
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Dec 2 2006, 05:20 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(lybones @ Dec 2 2006, 02:38 AM) *

From the looks of your pic, the front might be a little too raked down or the back isn't low enough. Perhaps there is too much load on the front so the back isn't working as it should. I too am running 165 progressive springs in the back and have been toying with the ride angle. My car will ride like a box of rocks if the front is down much lower than the back, like your car pic. I have bilstein rear shocks and have created a 1/2" add-on collar tacked to the original washer looking collar to raise the the back up a little more since it's already at the top ring. My teener handles much better when the botton "plane" of the whole car is almost leveled. I still need to corner balance the car to get it 50/50. Good luck with your spring project, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I hope my .02 helps.

Great to see your car running, it looks like it's a blast to drive. I like the video's that always gives us a better perspective. I have raised the rear since the picture was taken and your so right about the front end having to be at a reasonable hight. I am convinced the secret of making V8 cars run smooth is to soften up the front end. Ether by softer springs/TBs and or shock valving. I did the same thing with my rear spring plates it works well but coil-over / adjustable type is likely the best way. Using 165 springs for me is the answer however I need a longer set to get back the 2 inches of travel lost with the larger spacer. I hated my car when I first got it running, 200lb rear springs, hard bushings etc. Now it drives much nicer and as I said there is room for improvement up front. I think I will look into the 2 1/2 inch springs and a adjustable coil-over setup.
+Quote Post
lybones
post Dec 2 2006, 05:28 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3,986

Great to see your car running, it looks like it's a blast to drive. I like the video's that always gives us a better perspective. I have raised the rear since the picture was taken and your so right about the front end having to be at a reasonable hight. I am convinced the secret of making V8 cars run smooth is to soften up the front end. Ether by softer springs/TBs and or shock valving. I did the same thing with my rear spring plates it works well but coil-over / adjustable type is likely the best way. Using 165 springs for me is the answer however I need a longer set to get back the 2 inches of travel lost with the larger spacer. I hated my car when I first got it running, 200lb rear springs, hard bushings etc. Now it drives much nicer and as I said there is room for improvement up front. I think I will look into the 2 1/2 inch springs and a adjustable coil-over setup.
[/quote]

I took the car for a drive on Ortega Highway today and the man, it just reminds me why I love 914's so much. It handles like a slot car. I would also like to have a coilover over setup like Aarons car on day. Seems like a good deal.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th May 2024 - 04:05 AM